Misc Q&A-sea_tiger

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2017, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2017 02:18 PM by sea_tiger.)
Misc Q&A-sea_tiger
Thread for my queries.

(14-05-2017 07:23 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Many Jews also regard Christianity as a polytheistic,,....
Christianity is monotheistic.

Are there Jewish denominations? How do they differ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2017, 02:20 PM
RE: Misc Q&A-sea_tiger
(15-05-2017 02:14 PM)sea_tiger Wrote:  
(14-05-2017 07:23 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Many Jews also regard Christianity as a polytheistic,,....

Christianity is technically polytheistic. You've got three godheads (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit)--even though they are offshoots of one god. You also have angels and demons. And Satan. That's what you call a pantheon.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 11 users Like jennybee's post
15-05-2017, 02:25 PM
(15-05-2017 02:14 PM)sea_tiger Wrote:  Thread for my queries.

Christianity with it's Holy Trinity and Virgin Mary can't be called monotheistic.

As for Jewish denominations - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_r..._movements

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
15-05-2017, 02:26 PM

The Mormons sure as shit ain't.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-05-2017, 02:28 PM
(15-05-2017 02:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

The Mormons sure as shit ain't.

Yabut, many Christians claim that Mormons aren't Christians.
15-05-2017, 02:29 PM
(15-05-2017 02:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Christianity is technically polytheistic. You've got three godheads (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit)--even though they are offshoots of one god. You also have angels and demons. And Satan. That's what you call a pantheon.
They are distinct personalities but share same essence.They are one.
15-05-2017, 02:42 PM
(15-05-2017 02:29 PM)sea_tiger Wrote:  
(15-05-2017 02:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Christianity is technically polytheistic. You've got three godheads (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit)--even though they are offshoots of one god. You also have angels and demons. And Satan. That's what you call a pantheon.
They are distinct personalities but share same essence.They are one.

Right, they are all part of the godhead. However, they are three distinct entities, all of which Christians worship individually. Worshiping three distinct entities is technically worshiping three different gods, i.e. polytheism.

Also since Jesus is half human--that makes him a demigod, a completely distinct character from his all powerful, non-human father. You add angels, demons, and Satan into the mix (which technically are just other god-like beings) and you've got much more than just one all powerful god running around.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
15-05-2017, 02:53 PM
I don't really care what versions of Judaism there are. I'm just glad that I discovered, during a recent walkabout, that my new neighborhood has no less than two Kosher delis and two Mediterranean places with "Jerusalem" in their names (and several other Middle Eastern food places). I'd have found them sooner, but for some reason none of them show up on a Google search or map of the area... just had to walk by them. Then I smelled. And then I walked in!

So I'm sitting down to my first pastrami on rye in waaaaaaay too long.

Mmmmm... Drooling

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 9 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-05-2017, 03:03 PM
(15-05-2017 02:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(15-05-2017 02:14 PM)sea_tiger Wrote:  Christianity is monotheistic.

Christianity is technically polytheistic. You've got three godheads (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit)--even though they are offshoots of one god. You also have angels and demons. And Satan. That's what you call a pantheon.

And Sons of God. Don't forget the Sons of God. Genesis 6, Job 1 and 2.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
15-05-2017, 03:26 PM

Christians are not really monotheists by Jewish standards. This subject in and of itself can turn into a long conversation that I’m not really prepared to address on this forum, but let’s just boil it down and say it’s not a black and white case from a Jewish perspective, but worshiping Jesus isn’t monotheism according to us, for us. I understand how Christians classify themselves, but as far as I’m concerned, it’s immaterial. They claim to come from Judaism, but they don’t’ want to hold to Jewish standards or definitions. They have multiple gods that are separate and unique entities, one of which is finite. Actually, the first two aren’t so much of a problem as the last one is. The character, Jesus, was depicted as a finite being. Even if a Christian wants to argue that Jesus ascended and rejoined his “father,” and returned to the singularity, that doesn’t excuse that for a time, he was defined as a living, breathing, talking and walking human being, bound by the limits of his own skin. That makes him a separate, finite being, and Judaism teaches that G-d cannot be contained into a single body. Worshiping that finite person is, according to Judaism, idolatry.

In the exact same sense that Mormons claim to be the natural progression of Christianity and traditional Christians reject their theology, Christians try to claim that they’re the natural progression of Judaism and Jews reject Christian theology.
[+] 8 users Like Aliza's post