Misc Q&A-sea_tiger

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2017, 03:37 PM
RE: Misc Q&A-sea_tiger
The three parts never made any sense to me even when I was a believer.

I always imagined it like Voltron.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
15-05-2017, 03:49 PM
(15-05-2017 02:29 PM)sea_tiger Wrote:  
(15-05-2017 02:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Christianity is technically polytheistic. You've got three godheads (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit)--even though they are offshoots of one god. You also have angels and demons. And Satan. That's what you call a pantheon.
They are distinct personalities but share same essence.They are one.

Sure, Christians believe that (most of them, anyway), but the point is that Jews and Muslims do not. In their eyes, Christians are either polytheists or idolators. It's not a question of what God "really" is (as if he really is at all!), but how the different religions see him/her/it.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
15-05-2017, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2017 04:03 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-05-2017 03:26 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Even if a Christian wants to argue that Jesus ascended and rejoined his “father,” and returned to the singularity, that doesn’t excuse that for a time, he was defined as a living, breathing, talking and walking human being, bound by the limits of his own skin. That makes him a separate, finite being, and Judaism teaches that G-d cannot be contained into a single body. Worshiping that finite person is, according to Judaism, idolatry.

Another great post. I mean for coming from a Jew and all. I think that is the very point that Hector was trying to make before he thought "enough is enough, these people are fucking stupid" and decided to bail in the most painful manner imaginable. (Still don't get what that bit's about. Can't you just get there with hallucinogens without going through all that trouble?) Chico was the complete anti-Jew. Diego the deliverer was arguing for the exact opposite of an infinite eternal God. The OG of idolatry. His argument was that God, by necessity, must be finite. To "be" is to be divine is the point he was making. To "be" implies the capacity to "not be". God cannot be an infinite eternal being because an infinite eternal thingamajig lacks the capacity to "not be". There's nothing special about quarks and electrons, they're everywhere. Bob, however, is SLACK precisely because of his impermanence.

At least that's my read on the poor bastard. I like the argument but it requires admitting the law of the excluded middle which I'm not a big fan of. Anywhos, trying to explain any of this to your typical Christard is like trying to explain to a Republictard that's in everyone's best interest to pay for poor and sick people before finally giving up and taking his car keys and phone before shattering his tibia and telling him to get to the fucking hospital on his own.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Misc Q&A-sea_tiger
(15-05-2017 02:29 PM)sea_tiger Wrote:  They are distinct personalities but share same essence.They are one.

Which one is it?

A. Polytheistic (three creatures)
B. Monotheistic (one schizophrenic creature)
[+] 6 users Like KUSA's post
15-05-2017, 05:53 PM
(15-05-2017 03:37 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  The three parts never made any sense to me even when I was a believer.

I always imagined it like Voltron.

god having a son never made any fucking sense to me.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
15-05-2017, 06:12 PM
(15-05-2017 02:28 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(15-05-2017 02:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The Mormons sure as shit ain't.

Yabut, many Christians claim that Mormons aren't Christians.
Mormons claim to be Christians (and, of course, to be far better Christians than Christians, so to speak -- by their lights, the rest of Christianity has departed from the original true faith that they have reclaimed).

Whether or not it's fair to classify them with the rest of Christianity depends on how you define Christianity. They believe that Jesus is divine, and if that's all you care about, they're Christians. They do not subscribe to the historic creeds, and if that's what you care about, they are heretical. For example, they do not pass muster for those who care about sola scriptura because they accept The Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, etc as inspired in addition to the Bible.

I have no skin in that game these days but I can assure you that Christian fundamentalism considers them heretical at best, and more commonly as a false religion.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
15-05-2017, 06:41 PM
jennybee Wrote:Christianity is technically polytheistic. You've got three godheads (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit)--
There are three Gods in Christianity and they are one Godhead because these three Gods are one in purpose.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
15-05-2017, 06:44 PM
Who is Christian?
Who has authority to decide who Christian is?

15-05-2017, 06:54 PM
(15-05-2017 06:41 PM)Alla Wrote:  
jennybee Wrote:Christianity is technically polytheistic. You've got three godheads (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit)--
There are three Gods in Christianity and they are one Godhead because these three Gods are one in purpose.

They are one in purpose with three distinct roles.
15-05-2017, 06:55 PM
(15-05-2017 06:54 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(15-05-2017 06:41 PM)Alla Wrote:  There are three Gods in Christianity and they are one Godhead because these three Gods are one in purpose.

They are one in purpose with three distinct roles.

Yes.