Misconceptions about the Big Bang

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2012, 08:35 PM
RE: Misconceptions about the Big Bang
(18-11-2012 08:10 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  edit: ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
So the cunt in the video the German posted, Kent Hovind, is in jail for 10years for tax evasion.
Kent said that God has authority over him and the IRS have as much authority over him as the Japanese government. Yeah, well, cunt you're locked up for 10years so how's the "the IRS have no authority over me" working out for you??
It gets worse. At the end of his video titled "100 reasons why evolution is stupid", Hovind talks about how you should spend your money for charitable purposes instead of being selfish and buying new fancy things for yourself. Ironically enough, he's the one stealing money for his greedy self over a long period of time. He's a major hypocrite.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2012, 08:37 PM
(18-11-2012 08:35 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(18-11-2012 08:10 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  edit: ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
So the cunt in the video the German posted, Kent Hovind, is in jail for 10years for tax evasion.
Kent said that God has authority over him and the IRS have as much authority over him as the Japanese government. Yeah, well, cunt you're locked up for 10years so how's the "the IRS have no authority over me" working out for you??
It gets worse. At the end of his video titled "100 reasons why evolution is stupid", Hovind talks about how you should spend your money for charitable purposes instead of being selfish and buying new fancy things for yourself. Ironically enough, he's the one stealing money for his greedy self over a long period of time. He's a major hypocrite.
Like I say, the only cure for the fucktard is repeatable sledgehammer blows to the face.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
18-11-2012, 08:37 PM
So-

The Big Bang was a rapid expansion of a singularity. If so-

1. Why did the singularity expand?
2. Where did the singularity come from?

Any armchair scientists have a definite theory for either?
18-11-2012, 09:05 PM
(18-11-2012 08:37 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  So-

I'm no kind of scientist at all, but may I have a swing at the fences?

As far as I, in my layman understanding, can tell, the reason for the Singularity's expansion is currently not known, however there are hypotheses to explain the expansion.

I, being a "expansion-contraction" proponent (if I am allowed to use such a term), see the explanation that the previous universe became cold enough to cause contraction to a single point, with created the Singularity; an infinitely dense, small point which heated again causing expansion into what we know as our universe, and as far as I know, the cycle has been, and shall continue to be so.

(If anybody has a better explanation, or can correct or add onto this, please do correct me.)

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
18-11-2012, 11:04 PM

Like I said in the OP, that's really difficult, because the physics breaks down. It spits out nonsense. The math... Have you taken calculus? The limits go to infinity or zero, "as you approach the speed of light x approaches infinity", but the actual point c is undefined. That's part of why the attempts to verify the last parts of quantum mechanics (the Higgs boson) and the attempt to reconcile the mathematical incompatibility between general relativity and quantum mechanics, are so important. If we can come up with a grand, unified theory of physics then maybe we can get a better grip on singularities like black holes and the big bang.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
18-11-2012, 11:07 PM
(18-11-2012 11:04 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  

Like I said in the OP, that's really difficult, because the physics breaks down. It spits out nonsense. The math... Have you taken calculus? The limits go to infinity or zero, "as you approach the speed of light x approaches infinity", but the actual point c is undefined. That's part of why the attempts to verify the last parts of quantum mechanics (the Higgs boson) and the attempt to reconcile the mathematical incompatibility between general relativity and quantum mechanics, are so important. If we can come up with a grand, unified theory of physics then maybe we can get a better grip on singularities like black holes and the big bang.
Very good answer. I think anyone who would answer his #1 or #2 with a definitive "definitely this and definitely that" would have an awful lot to explain. We really do not yet have all of the answers, there is a TON of math involved.

I am really hoping for a unified theory within my lifetime, I am still satisfied that in my short lifetime thus far, we have made as much progress as we have either way.
18-11-2012, 11:49 PM
How do you like my new signature?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
18-11-2012, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2012 11:58 PM by Free Thought.)
Well, I was off by far, I guess.

Also, Phaedrus, I cannot begin to comprehend that signature, you'll have to explain it sometime.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
19-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Here is where I struggle with this concept even when I was a Christian. I cannot fathom God creating anything because I ask: what was before God? What happened in the very beginning of everything? How could God exist before all of this?

Then, even as an atheist I ask the same thing: what caused all this? How can there be no such thing as a beginning? What was before the beginning?

Maybe as an atheist the answer: "I don't know" is perfectly acceptable? While as a Christian I would be told that God is mysterious and his breathed life into all of us.

Can someone explain this concept?
[+] 1 user Likes kpax's post
19-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Misconceptions about the Big Bang
(19-11-2012 12:18 AM)kpax Wrote:  Here is where I struggle with this concept even when I was a Christian. I cannot fathom God creating anything because I ask: what was before God? What happened in the very beginning of everything? How could God exist before all of this?

Then, even as an atheist I ask the same thing: what caused all this? How can there be no such thing as a beginning? What was before the beginning?

Maybe as an atheist the answer: "I don't know" is perfectly acceptable? While as a Christian I would be told that God is mysterious and his breathed life into all of us.

Can someone explain this concept?

Sounds like you explained the concept pretty well when you said, "I don't know."

Why, How, Where, When, Who? These were the final thoughts tying me to the existence of a deity. How could there be a bang if all that condensed matter and energy weren't there? Who put it there?

My solution to this was to first admit, I don't know, but that doesn't mean I need to make up a story about a Creator. And, if it does turn out that the universe or multiverse is indeed without beginning, then that's no less a leap of faith to accept than to say that there's a God who exists without beginning nor end. Actually, it is less a leap of faith. Since there's no other reason to believe a deity exists except to be the First Cause, then you can eliminate that poor option with the acceptance that quite possibly the multiverse has always existed and it just is. Then my next thought is, but I'll never know the answer in my life time and I'm okay with that. I did not experience this feeling as a Christian. I had to know! Nothing could exist without God being in power. Don't know the specific? No worries, God knows and I have a list of questions I'm going to ask him when I get to heaven.

What a loon I was.

Well, guess past tense wasn't needed. I'm still a loon, just for different reasons. Hobo

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post