Missed Opportunity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2013, 06:12 AM
Missed Opportunity?
I feel like I missed an opportunity over the weekend. I was “hit on” by a Mormon on a bicycle. He asked if he could give me a card about Jesus Christ. I told him I really wasn’t interested and he was polite about it and peddled away.

I really did not have the time to engage him in any serious conversation but I am now considering carrying cards about atheism, maybe containing URLs to Dawkins web site, FFRF, this one, etc. The purpose of these cards would be to stimulate an examination of the believer’s faith and let him draw his own conclusions. I am not confrontational but don’t mind a civil, thought provoking discussion. How could I have better made the most of the brief encounter? Thoughts?

"You can stick your moral standards, because it's all a dirty lie" -Bon Scott
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like januarymick's post
24-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Missed Opportunity?
Oh! Take it a step further. Wear a white shirt and ride a bicycle and pass out your cards and pamphlets to unsuspecting strangers who think you're a Mormon. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
24-07-2013, 08:08 AM
RE: Missed Opportunity?
Here is how that goes:

Best part is 1:15

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
24-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Okay, thanks guys, lol. Can't believe I almost forgot about the XTC song the reading came from in the clip there!

24-07-2013, 06:12 PM
(24-07-2013 06:12 AM)januarymick Wrote:  I really did not have the time to engage him in any serious conversation but I am now considering carrying cards about atheism, maybe containing URLs to Dawkins web site, FFRF, this one, etc. The purpose of these cards would be to stimulate an examination of the believer’s faith and let him draw his own conclusions. I am not confrontational but don’t mind a civil, thought provoking discussion. How could I have better made the most of the brief encounter? Thoughts?
Good idea with the cards or pamphlets, if that doesn't feel too fanatical and intense to you. It wouldn't to me, but I am fanatical and intense. Most atheists are just normal guys who want to enjoy some peace. Some enjoy the discussion though.
The problem is, believers aren't interested in anything but their stuff, even if they claim otherwise. I suggest you be strict with them - you read their stuff, but they must read your stuff. Pamphlet for pamphlet, book for book. Make sure you examine what they did read when you meet them. Show them that you did, that you know both their stuff and yours. Google is your neutral friend to settle disputes. If they didn't read their homework, you can shove them out of the door.

They'll either leave you alone very quickly, or you get a good discussion without repeating ignorant arguments. Either way, it's a win.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
24-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Lumi nailed it. Well, I don't know about the 'normal' part, but I can't be bothered to hand out literature. If I'm challenged, I'll accept the challenge. Otherwise, live and let live. It ain't gonna bother me one bit if the guy down the road has an imaginary friend.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
26-07-2013, 08:15 AM
I was approached by a couple mormons while walking my dogs in the park. They asked if had read The Book of Mormon, and I replied 'Yes.'
They then asked what book I was reading, which I was currently carrying with me. I chuckled then showed them The End of Faith by Sam Harris. The missionaries were taken aback.

I ended up meeting with them for 6 months, because I enjoyed the debate, and they even began to bring leaders from their church along.
After those 6 months, there was no sign of them questioning that which they had been brainwashed to believe. They just kept telling me that they think I should attend BYU.

I have found it takes a lot to get most mormons to look at their faith critically, I don't think you missed an opportunity with them, they would have ignored it.

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes multidaytim's post
26-07-2013, 04:38 PM
(26-07-2013 08:15 AM)multidaytim Wrote:  I was approached by a couple mormons while walking my dogs in the park. They asked if had read The Book of Mormon, and I replied 'Yes.'
They then asked what book I was reading, which I was currently carrying with me. I chuckled then showed them The End of Faith by Sam Harris. The missionaries were taken aback.

I ended up meeting with them for 6 months, because I enjoyed the debate, and they even began to bring leaders from their church along.
After those 6 months, there was no sign of them questioning that which they had been brainwashed to believe. They just kept telling me that they think I should attend BYU.

I have found it takes a lot to get most mormons to look at their faith critically, I don't think you missed an opportunity with them, they would have ignored it.

Great story. It is fantastic that you were carrying a Sam Harris book when approached. I think you are right that anything I said in my brief encounter would likely have been ignored. But it sounds like you challenged the ones you met like they had not been challenged before!