Missing family on Christmas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Missing family on Christmas
There are some people you want to see during the holidays. I was wondering who else had someone they missed during this time of year.

For me, it's my dad. He was the most jolly soul during this time of year. He was the house decorator, the music arranger, the heart of Christmas in our home.
And when he left Christmas went with him. I keep the tradition going at home. My friends and I have our own customs now, but there always seems to be someone missing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2014, 01:47 PM
RE: Missing family on Christmas
This is my first christmas in a long time with family.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
23-12-2014, 10:48 AM
(22-12-2014 01:40 PM)Raven4185 Wrote:  There are some people you want to see during the holidays. I was wondering who else had someone they missed during this time of year.

For me, it's my dad. He was the most jolly soul during this time of year. He was the house decorator, the music arranger, the heart of Christmas in our home.
And when he left Christmas went with him. I keep the tradition going at home. My friends and I have our own customs now, but there always seems to be someone missing.

I'm in the middle of life floating between dead parents and future grandchildren. Maybe that's what limbo is, but I always remember there's another adventure coming around the corner. I don't know what it will be, but good or bad, it will be interesting to watch it unfold! In the meantime I just carry on.
23-12-2014, 11:52 PM
^That is a lovely sentiment.

This is my first Christmas away from family.

I didn't realise that it bothered me until just now. The next door neighbor put on some Christmas carols and Christmas in New York is playing. I'm kinda sick of the song but it's one of my sisters favorites.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
24-12-2014, 04:40 AM
It would be nice if my younger daughter and her kids could be here for Christmas. But it's not a great time of year for cross country travel with two kids.

But should still be fun, especially since I have a bonus granddaughter now. There will be nine of us here for dinner and gifts this evening. Tomorrow morning we will go watch the oldest grandchild open gifts and have brunch. Then I hope for a Christmas nap!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
24-12-2014, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2014 12:17 PM by Thinkerbelle.)
I have no family left, so we do hubby's family for Christmas dinner. A good time will be had - much eating, much chatting, minimal gifts. The perfect evening.

ETA: How crass of me to avoid mentioning the OP's situation.

Dear OP,
I would gladly send you a few very distant relatives - free of charge, but you'd probably send them back. Find friends you can spend the day or evening with. Good friends are like a second family, and best of all you got to choose them.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
24-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Been a long time since I gave a shit about the holidays because I never got them off anyway. I still don't, but I have a kid that's just getting old enough to be into it, and that makes it more interesting. The lights and the tree and the presents are with doing when you've got a kid getting excited about it.

'Murican Canadian
25-12-2014, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 25-12-2014 08:09 PM by Free.)
(22-12-2014 01:40 PM)Raven4185 Wrote:  There are some people you want to see during the holidays. I was wondering who else had someone they missed during this time of year.

Firstly, my sympathies regarding your Dad.

Christmas eh?

I have not seen nor spoken to 6 of my siblings in almost 30 years. We are all estranged.

I do not recall much about my mother, as I was only 4 years old when she passed away. Virtually no memories there at all.

No memories with my Dad either, since after my mother died he went to pieces with grief, resulting in the total separation of me from most of my siblings as we all went to different homes, and slowly but surely drifted apart. My next oldest brother was the only sibling I grew up with.

17 years ago, my brother fell and hit his head, resulting in permanent brain damage so extensive he doesn't know me, nor do I know him. I have not seen him since shortly after his accident when he moved away to start a new life as a "secret agent who was going to save the world."

I don't know what Christmas would be like with my family. I have nothing to compare it to. You are so lucky to have some memories of those lovely times you had with your family when your Dad was still with you.

But Christmas is not a lost cause with me. I now have my own family, with a lovely wife, kids, grand kids, and lots of laughter and good times. I can never change what happened in the past, because it's gone forever. All I can do now is enjoy the moment and make the absolute most of the time I still have left on this world.

Again, sorry about your Dad, and hopefully some part of your Christmas will be merry.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 2 users Like Free's post