Missing that thing.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2012, 10:22 PM
RE: Missing that thing.
(18-12-2011 05:49 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Thank you so much for your replies. I think it's pretty amazing we are star dust, yes. I love the science saved my soul video, it is a huge confidence builder and makes life feel so valid, no matter how 'insignificant' (there is no such thing, right? As insignificant.) Life is truly amazing with all it's complexity in every way.

I think I understand this music analogy. I can totally see how this would work. I feel the same way about photo's. I analyze them to death. However, sometimes a photo, even if it isn't following the rules, is just so beautiful for some reason. Something there is captured and becomes larger than me or you.

I will keep trying because that is what we do. I have a feeling it is much simpler than my analytical brain is leading me to believe. The process IS beautiful and I should just allow it to happen. Break the barrier. (again Smile )

Hallo Lady Jane.
The overly analytical mind can play havoc with us.
I like to keep an open ended attitude and have made a mild return to T.M. which seems relatively safe.

I have been dabbling with Buddhism for several months on line;they like to seem to be very open but like the other isms don't take too kindly to criticism. Smile

Sticks and stones may break my bones
but names will never hurt me~~~~~
Cooyon WillieLaughat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
10-01-2012, 10:29 PM
I think I'm missing the old Woof who didn't know how to format his replies nor mess with the standard text... Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
10-01-2012, 10:58 PM
(10-01-2012 10:29 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I think I'm missing the old Woof who didn't know how to format his replies nor mess with the standard text... Big Grin
So you can teach an old dog new tricks !

Turned 70 last Monday! Big Grin

Sticks and stones may break my bones
but names will never hurt me~~~~~
Cooyon WillieLaughat
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
10-01-2012, 11:04 PM
(10-01-2012 10:58 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 10:29 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I think I'm missing the old Woof who didn't know how to format his replies nor mess with the standard text... Big Grin
So you can teach an old dog new tricks !

Turned 70 last Monday! Big Grin

Excellent. Happy Anniversary. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
21-01-2012, 03:35 AM
Thank you, I really appreciate all the input. I have started running more and spending more time with the pets (since it's a cold front right now, they stay nice and close!) I've tried meditating a couple times again, but I can't 'break the seal' on it. I feel so close though, which is encouraging. I geek out on science and have been spending time on BBC science site (I love this site!). So, all of this combination is adding up Smile A sense of blissful peace is pretty near... that's nice.

Also, being at TTA with a sense of community is super great too. Thanks for the encouragement and understanding.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
24-01-2012, 07:13 AM
I definitely find that I find my "highs" working out, running, and playing sports as well. Something else you might try that also help my social fixes are interest groups. I play ultimate frisbee and even tho, yes that is a sport, it is so much more. Its a pretty tight nit group of people who do lots of things together. I feel like when I started playing I made 450+ new friends. I see the same people in leagues, tournaments and parties alike. Also, I run with a group called the Hash House Harriers ( just started this ) and it combines running and drinking beer. 2 of my favorite things.. haha When I took flight lessons I also got pretty close to a group of pilots. All I'm saying I guess is that sometimes I find strength in numbers- its fascinating to me how we can all be so different but share one common passion. Not much different from this place I suppose! Smile

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 1 user Likes k37713's post
24-01-2012, 07:31 AM
The Science Saved My Soul video is a favorite of mine. I like that. When I saw that video for the first time it really put how I felt down into something I could agree with.

Religion tells us that we should feel good because of god. That we should feel amazing because of him. That.... somehow we are only able to feel significant by feeling insignificant in comparison to him.

Then we take a step back and finally question everything. We become an atheist. Then what? Well... now how should we feel? You were taught to feel in awe but now everything you felt in awe of isn't true and everything is far more simple.

For me, I have always been FASCINATED by the universe. That video really put it into perspective. We are tiny. Small. Insignificant in a GIANT universe of things we just simply can't understand. To me THAT is awe inspiring. THAT is amazing. Hopefully within my lifetime someone will change physics and cosmology in such a way that we can begin digging into this in a way to understand that will change the way we see life as we know it. It's already happened SEVERAL TIMES!

We first learned the earth wasn't flat. That was a game changer. Then we discovered the earth WASN'T the center of the solar system. Gravity. Physics. Math. Science. We finally look up at the sky and see the stars and we can sort of understand things now. But who knows? Tomorrow a discovery may happen that will reshape our understanding and the way we see it may completely change your perspective on how insignificant we are. What if someday we find life? A way to travel? Colonize other planets? Extend mankind? Become cyborgs and live almost forever?

I'm in awe of mankind. The things around me. I keep a small journal and basically jot down the things I'm thinking sometimes. My thoughts on the universe, my thoughts on science, new things found. I document things as a timeline and find it really fascinating and it keeps me entertained. I don't need some wacky religion TELLING me what to be in awe of. All the things I found fascinating as a kid I can now openly look through and dig through without feeling like I need to worry about some man in the sky telling me not to, that I'm bad for doing so, that questioning and learning about it is horrible.

I'm in awe and amazement of the way that I am able to finally look at life - and disappointed that I can't share it with so many because they're completely blind to it, refuse to see it, question it and take a step back to even consider that there is something else. They are afraid to.

Outside the feelings of shock and awe... my pleasure in life, my sincere joy of enjoying life I find in my family, my wife and my cars. I spend a LOT of my time wrenching on my cars and motorcycles and love automotive engineering. It's like a puzzle I can put together in my head, except that I get to play with it on a large scale, take it apart, fix it, put it back together and go drive it.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
24-01-2012, 07:57 AM
(24-01-2012 07:13 AM)k37713 Wrote:  I play ultimate frisbee

High five Smile
24-01-2012, 08:27 AM
(24-01-2012 07:57 AM)morondog Wrote: