Mission accomplished!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Mission accomplished!
Hey folks,

as you may know from my introduction thread, I'm a German student who's currently taking his A-levels (12th grade at the moment, 13th grade in about four weeks). English is one of my advanced courses and today we spoke about the final grades. Fortune smiled on me, my teacher awarded me with the highest possible score (A+)!

I can't wait to let my parents and my siblings know about this. My oldest brother motivated me to give it all I had and it turns out that my efforts were not in vain. Tongue

Looking back from now, it seems quite funny that English was the subject I despised the most in middle school, back then I always had a D-.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Vosur's post
14-06-2012, 02:16 PM
RE: Mission accomplished!
Awesome! Congratulations! And look how much you are putting it to use for the good, here. Big Grin
14-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Well done!

[Image: opforum1.png]
14-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Great job, congrats!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
14-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Fantastic! You write so well; they probably couldn't figure out how to get it any higher than A+. Jeez, I didn't know they still gave A+!! It's kind of uncommon, I would think.
Luck had nothing to do with this - you worked damn hard! Time to enjoy some very earned relaxation! Thumbsup

So... what are you thinking you will do with that massive brain after stuffing it with more cool stuff? Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Eat it. Massive brain is the *Best* thing on toast.

Tongue

Seriously congrats man. Anyway you're a really good English speaker... I wouldn't have guessed you weren't a first language speaker if you hadn't said so...
14-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Grats dude!

I'm a former English teacher as well as an ESL teacher, and I can tell you that English is tough for anyone to try and learn.

Well done.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
14-06-2012, 03:13 PM
(14-06-2012 02:54 PM)morondog Wrote:  Eat it. Massive brain is the *Best* thing on toast.

Tongue

BRAINS

Drooling

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
14-06-2012, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2012 03:58 PM by cufflink.)
Good for you! Congratulations!

So I'm wondering . . . How exactly did you go from D- to A+? How did you develop such idiomatic, native-speaker-level English? Was it mainly reading? Watching English-language movies, videos, and TV? Getting good feedback from your English teachers? Interacting with English-speaking friends? All of the above? And do you feel your spoken English is at the same level as your written?

I'm interested in language learning, so I'm curious. Smile

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
14-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks a bunch for the support, everyone! I appreciate it a lot. Smile
(14-06-2012 03:47 PM)cufflink Wrote:  So I'm wondering . . . How exactly did you go from D- to A+? How did you develop such idiomatic, native-speaker-level English? Was it mainly reading? Watching English-language movies and TV? Getting good feedback from your English teachers? Interacting with English-speaking friends? All of the above?
*strokes his beard* Sit down son, ol' grandpa is about to tell 'ya bunch a story. Back in the old days...

Just kidding. Back in middle school, in 6th grade to be exact, I had a strict English teacher. His lessons were boring and so were the books we were reading. Something about a group of thieves robbing a train and never getting caught. *yawn* I'm also a very lazy person, which is why I never bothered to do any homework. It's therefore not really surprising that I ended up with such a bad grade. It was two years later that my teacher was swapped out for some french-looking man, who turned out to be one of my favourite teachers. His lessons were much more interesting, since we got to learn about the culture/traditions and history of native tribes around the world and similar topics. I guess I can't blame my old teacher for his choice of topics, since he was bound to teach what was written in the curriculum of the respective year. Though I still think that hee could've presented it to us in a more enthusiastic way.

To explain the following, I'll have to tell you a bit about Germany's school system. In 2007, our oh-so-great Culture Minister Ursula von der Leyen had this genius idea to reintroduce a concept that originated from the Weimar Republic, which is reducing abitur's length from 13 to 12 years. Unfortunately, nobody in my age group was able to choose the traditional way, which is why we had to deal with the contents of 13 years of school in a much shorter time. It's not surprising that it didn't work out the way it was supposed to be. We ended up having to catch up on everything we should have learnt in 10th grade in 11th grade.

Anyway, at the end of 9th grade, I was given the highest possible rating in English as well, which is one of the reasons I chose English as one of my two advanced courses (German is the second one). I never imagined what was going to come in the first few weeks of being on the new school. Turns out that the "elite" (that's how they called the people from our age group) never learnt how to write an interpretation or a characterization in English. The majority of my course failed horribly, half of them had to repeat 11th grade because their grades were so awful. I can't blame them though. Wouldn't it have been for my great interest into the subject, I would've failed as well. But I quickly learnt how to write the previously mentioned text forms and quickly gained the top.

My oldest brother took his A-levels two years ago. He's just as lazy as me, but he ended up having a grade point average of 1.6 (I think that translates to A-). He inspired me to chose this subject as my advanced course, because he himself achieved an A+ in 13th grade. Although I have to admit that my English looks like that of a primary-school pupil compared to his.

Anyway, the reason I've become "this good" in this language is because I had a good friend back in middle school who was just as interested in the subject as I was. We would always talk in English in our free time instead of German, which was a good way to learn how to speak the language. We also motivated each other to become increasingly better. However, this was just the beginning. Soon after that, I met people from the U.S. online and decided to chat and/or talk to them via TeamSpeak. I quickly got the gist of it and continously searched for new methods on how to improve myself. I started to watch movies in English, read mangas/books in English, watch videos in English, play all games in English, etc. It all came down to using the language in my everyday life so that I would get used to it. By now there's not much of a difference between English and my mother language. My current teacher is the same one my brother had, which is why she's very happy that I'm just as good as he was.

tl;dr All of the above. Big Grin

Quote:And do you feel your spoken English is at the same level as your written?

I'm interested in language learning, so I'm curious. Smile
You may be able to judge that for yourself quite soon. As far as I know, there's going to be a Skype conference organized by some of the TTA member on Sunday. I'd personally say that my spoken and written English is about the same, although I can improvise a lot better when speaking English. When I write English, I often have to look up a bunch of words, because I'm not forced to search for an alternative wording.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post