Mission accomplished!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2012, 05:02 PM
RE: Mission accomplished!
You write more succinctly than most native writers of the language! Well done Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Excellent!
Although a tad pre-WWII-style to read, imo.
If transferred to your spoken English it might sound a bit stilted.
It is the 21st century now, of course!

If English, both written and spoken, is your thing you may want to have a look at
The Chaos.

by Gerard Nolst Trenité
15-06-2012, 12:25 AM
(14-06-2012 07:01 PM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  Excellent!

If English, both written and spoken, is your thing you may want to have a look at
The Chaos.

by Gerard Nolst Trenité
... I think he comes across as educated. Maybe that is a tad pre-WWII. Dodgy
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
15-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Funny thing is that I also had low grades in my highschool. My English teachers were always some old hags that hated my ass, so they never gave me any credit, I got C regularly and I was one of the best in my class. When I came to college and I had a normal professor, I got straight A's from day one. A lot of times your grade depends on the professor and your relationship with them. In my highschool, most of the professors didn't quite like me. I wonder why? ...

Big Grin

Funny moment from college...

A professor was explaining something about the words HIGH and TALL, how we can say He is taller than me, but can't say He is higher that me and of course I instantly said, No, no, you can say that you are higher than I am, but that has a whole different meaning. Everybody died of laughter, professor included.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
15-06-2012, 01:11 AM
(14-06-2012 07:01 PM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  Excellent!
Oh, I still participate in a history course. The last two years I've learnt about pretty much everything that happened in Europe in the timespan of 1850 (industrial revolution) 'till 1933/1934 (Hitler becomes Chancellor of the Reich). WWII is in the curriculum of 13th grade.

Quote:If English, both written and spoken, is your thing you may want to have a look at

The Chaos.

by Gerard Nolst Trenité
I'll check it out after school.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
15-06-2012, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2012 08:57 AM by Scarlet Pimpernel.)
If you don't want to sound too much like your great-grandfather (if he had been a native English speaker) I would spend time watching current English and/or American sitcoms (whichever you prefer) to pick up some contemporary vernacular. 'Street language', if you will. That shouldn't be too much of a chore, right? Big Grin
But subsequently using the appropriate expressions and vocabulary at the appropriate moments will forever remain a challenge...

But at the end of the day there is no substitute for living 24/7 with and among native speakers in their country, in their society, for an extended period of time, if you want to learn that language good enough to be able to fool native speakers into believing you are a native speaker too.
You need an innate talent too, of course. But it looks like in written English you got that covered.
15-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Hmmm, I do not see why would anyone want to ruin the normal grammar with retarded American sitcoms? Where is the logic in that? He does not sound like his grandfather, he sounds like he knows English. Those sitcoms sound like they don't know English that well...

You can learn street language by visiting an English speaking country for a week, if you know the language, grammar, phrases...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
15-06-2012, 10:18 AM
(15-06-2012 09:16 AM)Filox Wrote:  Hmmm, I do not see why would anyone want to ruin the normal grammar with retarded American sitcoms? Where is the logic in that? He does not sound like his grandfather, he sounds like he knows English. Those sitcoms sound like they don't know English that well...

You can learn street language by visiting an English speaking country for a week, if you know the language, grammar, phrases...

I agree Filox...
Pimp - why push Vos into mediocrity just out of the gate? It would ruin the recipe he's making up for his brain. I think he's quite accomplished ... I'm sure he'll find his way to slumming in his own time.

Don't need no trash brain - -they taste like shit. Evil_monster

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
15-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Awesome! You write incredibly well.

As for the whole sitcom thing.......it's a terrible idea. I really doubt you're out to "fool" anyone into thinking you are native to an English speaking country. As far as I can tell through your writing, you sound like an educated, intelligent person. Street slang is not only unnecessary, but makes people sound like morons half the time. I can't think of a single good reason to muddy your articulate speech with sitcom lingo.

Keep up the good work!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
15-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Plus then you'd have to watch the sit coms... [Image: vomit-smiley-9529.gif]
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post