Mission trips

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Mission trips
In the latest Podcast Seth talks about mission trips. I call them poverty tourism. That's all it is. They'd never raise all that money and simply donate it to a charity in the impoverished country.

No they have to waste extra money transporting themselves there for two weeks. In what really is a feel good summer camp vacation.

The transport and lodging is always the most expensive part.
What can you accomplish in two weeks vs. a permanent, in country, already familiar with the "terrain" and oriented installation?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2015, 03:24 PM
RE: Mission trips
You can distribute the flu virus....Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-03-2015, 04:25 PM
That applies to alot of charities, most of which are just greedy fucks.

There are only a few who are actualy sincere, like Doctors without borders.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
30-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Oh dear I hope Doctors without borders doesn't ever get bogged down in scandals, I give mostly to them and so far they seem to be one of the few safe bets.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
30-03-2015, 04:33 PM
Médecins sans Frontières and Emergency are the two I like the most.

The second one is mostly about providing healthcare to everyone in need for free. The main thing I know them for is surgery (even one of the founders is a surgeon and performs himself). But they also cover other needs.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
30-03-2015, 08:55 PM
There's this new mission trip that I recently heard about that an old classmate of mine is trying to get money to go on. It's basically a world tour. They go to like 12 countries or something to "spread the gospel." Seriously. it's tourism. Why don't you just be honest and say you want us to give you free money to travel the world? I'm down with that. traveling is great. But since you're going on a "mission," I'm not donating. Suck it.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
31-03-2015, 01:36 AM
It reeks so of colonial paternalism, too.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
31-03-2015, 03:14 AM
I used to give to Care International, but I got tired of the beggy emails they sent me... but then I read a book by... Tim Butcher... Blood River. He said in there that Care International were one of the few charities really doing stuff in Congo - Congo's a hell-hole, by all accounts... so I like them more now. I also like MSF too Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
31-03-2015, 03:37 AM
What do you call it when a minister goes over seas? Mission Creep.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
31-03-2015, 04:13 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2015 04:19 AM by Alex K.)
(31-03-2015 03:14 AM)morondog Wrote:  I used to give to Care International, but I got tired of the beggy emails they sent me... but then I read a book by... Tim Butcher... Blood River. He said in there that Care International were one of the few charities really doing stuff in Congo - Congo's a hell-hole, by all accounts... so I like them more now. I also like MSF too Smile

MSF also keep sending me snail mail with reports in color about how little Malia was starving and sick, but is now feeling so much better, and I'm always like, you don't have to parade these kids in front of me like that to appeal to my emotions, I already give and I know that you are doing good work, spend the money on other things, not on propaganda mail to donors. But I guess they calculated that it helps their cause...

Having worked in animal rescue, I know how incredibly powerful appeals to emotion impact donations on average. You can have 100 starving animals without pics and noone really cares, and one bleeding half-dead animal in hidef, and the dollars come a-rollin in by the thousands, more than you would ever need for that specific case. So you prominently display the "sexy" suffering in order to subsidize the majority of less sexy cases. It's a strange case of cynicism for a good cause.

[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post