Poll: Are missionaries criminals (knowingly or ignorantly)
YES
NO
[Show Results]

Missionaries, are they criminals ?.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Re: RE: Missionaries, are they criminals ?.
(19-02-2014 09:55 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 09:36 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Well lliterate ones already know about christianity while people in africa may do not. That's why they need to spread it. Just like the bible says.

Got to spread those lovely heart warming stories, like.

"Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves."

And remember, suffering means God has mysterious plans for your life. Just ignore all the supplies that would actually aid you until you properly pray.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2014, 01:10 PM
RE: Missionaries, are they criminals ?.
(19-02-2014 10:23 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 09:58 AM)donotwant Wrote:  As WLC would say gods command is what is moral Wink

Http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=245477
Hobo
I am so thankful my brain is my own.

Appologetics: answer
"The basis for morality is of course God, so one can hardly acknowledge Judeo-Christian morality on the one hand while condemning its source on the other".

What I mean is that god tells em to do something so they do it. If they disobey god theyre fucked. Simple.
19-02-2014, 02:58 PM
(19-02-2014 07:21 AM)Youkay Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 06:16 AM)Wanderingcelt Wrote:  Sorry I am going to be a stickler for the wording.

From my knowledge a crime or criminal is in regards to actually doing things that are a illegal, and as we have not yet formed the United Federation of Planets yet and have something like the Prime Directive yet - this is not a crime. Unfortunately.

What is wrong with you? Obviously you could TELL that sporehux was NOT being literal with the word criminal. So why apologize and still chose to be a stickler on something as irrelevant as that and make yourself unpopular, if not for the sole sake of correcting someone else for your own satisfaction?

I don't get this attitude...

Chill out.

I wasn't correcting him I know what he meant - I was pointing out that the problem that crime entails legalities and isn't illegal and there is no legal ramifications that was why I was being stickler - not because I thought he was being literal , but because there is no policing/ anything to stop it from happening.

What is wrong with you? You just posted in a topic to tell someone they had something wrong with them instead of contributing to the topic - I don't get that attitude.

As it is, it is a shame that the exploitation of people that happens with some missions is not illegal, especially in the capacity of religious preaching taking advantage of the needy. I am not sure how you would police/ draw the line, as some of these organisations/missions do provide aid as well. I remember collecting for a mission at the church we used to attend to send to Calcutta to an Orthodox mission there - they taught the kids to read and write, while preaching and also gave them at least a meal a day.
19-02-2014, 04:48 PM
(19-02-2014 09:03 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 08:58 AM)cjlr Wrote:  ...
Fuck missionaries.

Damn, that would have worked much better for the OP title Smile

But it would have changed the meaning of the poll somewhat.

Fuck missionaries... yes / no.

I say yes... in the missionar doggy style!

19-02-2014, 05:31 PM
I hate missionaries. They need to leave brown people alone. They have wrecked Pacific Island culture and they are trying to do the same bloody thing in PNG. They deserve to get eaten.

I had some flatmates a while back that wanted to be missionaries in PNG. They were absolute morons. The very last people who should be telling people how to live their lives.
19-02-2014, 05:34 PM
(19-02-2014 07:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Mormons in Uganda is another case. That shit is getting people killed for being gay!

If you don't have time for the whole thing, watch from 30:20 and you'll get the idea.

The woman whispering into the child's ear @ 32:12 gives me a visceral reaction
Dammit Jospeh Smith Jr! See what your dumbassery has done? You probably don't even care Censored The BoM musical segment in that video (I should go see that) hints at why I hate missionary work in the LDS specifically. They make it so that men feel like they have to go to a place far far away from home where they'll hardly every talk to their families. Right after they graduate too, like 18 years old. Socially, if you're a dude in that church and you don't go on a mission, it's defiantly a loss of respect for you. Even if you go military instead since there's plenty of men that serve a mission and then go military. My brother served military and when he got home after his 4 years, he had all sorts of people telling to go serve a church mission. Didn't matter he had a house or that he'd been on plenty of missions for his country around the world, no! He had to serve one for Heavenly Father! Don't make it sound like a choice if you're going to treat the person like shit if they didn't want to do it!

Well that was a rant.

Erm, but yeah, missionary work has a negative impact on cultures. I was thinking of how it impacted the Native Americans specifically mostly because I took a course that focused on Louise Erdrich and Sherman Alexie (both good authors) that touched on some of the history to kind of help us understand where the authors were coming from in their works. We talked about how the missionaries basically came to these tribes and tried to take away their identity, basically. One of the main things I remember was the schools. Forcing the children into private, religious schools where they had no respect for their culture. They were punished if they were caught talking their native language, they cut their hair, all sorts of disrespectful stuff. God, people are awful.

So yeah, fuck the missionaries. In whatever position they least prefer!

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post