Mississippi Atheist Group needs Nativity type display to put next to Courthouse.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Mississippi Atheist Group needs Nativity type display to put next to Courthouse.
Here is the post in our FB group, MS Gulf Coast Humanists.

"I was contacted today by the American Humanist Assoc in D.C. to let us know that the Harrison County Courthouse has declared that the courthouse is an open forum meaning that any religious or non-religious displays may be put up to celebrate the season.
As a group do we want to create a display for the courthouse? I definitely want a positive message of caring not an attack on religion. That won't get us anywhere with the public perception of non-religious people. Also, if you have any Pastafarian, Satanist or pagan friends, let them know they are apparently also welcome to place a display there."

So basically after years of having them remove the nativity display they are now saying it's an "open forum" to get around it.
We would appreciate any positive ideas for displays that show we are good-hearted, hard working people just like they are. Christianity is no joke in Mississippi, violence, losing jobs or being ostracized are real consequences. We are a small group but growing day by day stronger. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Darth Jay's post
12-12-2015, 10:09 AM
RE: Mississippi Atheist Group needs Nativity type display to put next to Courthouse.
Why not go for a life size hologram of Mohammed?

Angel

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
12-12-2015, 10:17 AM
RE: Mississippi Atheist Group needs Nativity type display to put next to Courthouse.
This would be difficult to do but maybe a large poster of these great scientists most of whom were atheist or at the least, agnostics.

[Image: sciencelastsupper.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 7 users Like dancefortwo's post
12-12-2015, 10:49 AM
[Image: billofrights2015-640-409x300.jpg]

From down the road in Tallahassee

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2015/...ay-debate/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 9 users Like Full Circle's post
12-12-2015, 06:04 PM
A sign that reads "Wishing you a safe, healthy, and happy seasonal celebration. And happy that unsafe and unhealthy are largely treatable conditions thanks to science."
Or maybe. "Thank the Scientific Method, and Praise Internet! The first keeps you safe and healthy, the second lets you avoid those embarrassing relatives by having Skype calls."
[+] 2 users Like OddGamer's post
12-12-2015, 06:13 PM
(12-12-2015 09:21 AM)Darth Jay Wrote:   Here is the post in our FB group, MS Gulf Coast Humanists.

"I was contacted today by the American Humanist Assoc in D.C. to let us know that the Harrison County Courthouse has declared that the courthouse is an open forum meaning that any religious or non-religious displays may be put up to celebrate the season.
As a group do we want to create a display for the courthouse? I definitely want a positive message of caring not an attack on religion. That won't get us anywhere with the public perception of non-religious people. Also, if you have any Pastafarian, Satanist or pagan friends, let them know they are apparently also welcome to place a display there."

So basically after years of having them remove the nativity display they are now saying it's an "open forum" to get around it.
We would appreciate any positive ideas for displays that show we are good-hearted, hard working people just like they are. Christianity is no joke in Mississippi, violence, losing jobs or being ostracized are real consequences. We are a small group but growing day by day stronger. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you.

I've thought that a representation of Thor's Hammer would be a great display beside a cross.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
12-12-2015, 06:22 PM
(12-12-2015 09:21 AM)Darth Jay Wrote:   Here is the post in our FB group, MS Gulf Coast Humanists.

Recommend something simple and secular positive. It's easy to represent secular morality and the enjoyment of the holidays without gods.

[Image: KYuOL7x.jpg?1]

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
12-12-2015, 07:07 PM
(12-12-2015 06:22 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Recommend something simple and secular positive. It's easy to represent secular morality and the enjoyment of the holidays without gods.

Don't know why, but as soon as I saw this I immediately thought of Minsc and Boo. Both in Santa hats, Minsc with lights on him.

"Gift giving! For Goodness!"
"Go for the ribbons, Boo, go for the ribbons!" "Squeak!"

Too bad it's a) copyrighted and b) no one but a geek would get it.
[+] 2 users Like OddGamer's post
12-12-2015, 07:08 PM
(12-12-2015 06:22 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  

Recommend something simple and secular positive. It's easy to represent secular morality and the enjoyment of the holidays without gods.

Am I being too harsh when I say I'd like to see something set up by atheists that didn't have a mythical character depicted on it? Confused

I kid! Tongue

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
12-12-2015, 07:27 PM
(12-12-2015 06:22 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  [Image: KYuOL7x.jpg?1]
I don't think it counts as "Good for goodness' sake" when you're threatening me with a lump of coal in my stocking. Nice try Santa; you're not fooling anyone.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post