Mississippi Religious Freedom Restoration Act

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-04-2014, 06:18 AM
Mississippi Religious Freedom Restoration Act
So this really hits home for me seeing as I was raised for the bulk of my childhood(age 5 to 18) in Mississippi. I can't really say I'm shocked seeing as it is one of the most conservative and religious states in the south. For those that don't know the details of this new act the jist of it is as follows:

The act protects religious people from legal repercussions if they verbally condemn the lifestyle or actions of LGBT persons. Additionally, the bill expands the definition of an individual to include businesses, and so if a business owner thinks their religious beliefs would be violated by delivering service to an LGBT person, the Act allows them to deny them service, a move that some have called "anti-gay segregation".

Now this is pretty much spot on with the same one that was attempted in Arizona but here is the part of the bill I'm really terrified about:

As an added provision, Governor Bryant also signed a student specific version of the Act (The Mississippi Student Religious Liberties Act) which protects the views of students in any educational institution from being reprimanded for their religious views. Under the bill, a school may not discipline a student for expressing anti-LGBT views either verbally or through written assignments.

So basically you can pretty much verbally abuse someone for being gay or write a paper about it if its an valid assignment given by the teacher and NOTHING will come of it. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

This really angers me seeing as I had a friend in high school 4-5 years ago who was gay and although this bill was passed....nothing happened no matter how bad the comment towards his sexuality. This kid killed himself not 3 months ago in his college dorm room with a note reflecting over not only things from his childhood but also more recent verbal abuse from fellow classmates. His parents aren't even looking for answers or looking to hold the school accountable seeing as he did seek help once and nothing came of it. They're heavily religious so they sort of cut him off in a way and just chalk it up to the devil Angry

All this happened BEFORE this bill making it permitted by law, can you just imagine the consequences of this that will never hit the news? I'm sure sooner or later this will get overturned because not everyone in my home state has this hate justified by religion outlook. I just hope no one get's hurt before that happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like MrKrispy601's post
08-04-2014, 06:35 AM
RE: Mississippi Religious Freedom Restoration Act
(08-04-2014 06:18 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So this really hits home for me seeing as I was raised for the bulk of my childhood(age 5 to 18) in Mississippi. I can't really say I'm shocked seeing as it is one of the most conservative and religious states in the south. For those that don't know the details of this new act the jist of it is as follows:

The act protects religious people from legal repercussions if they verbally condemn the lifestyle or actions of LGBT persons. Additionally, the bill expands the definition of an individual to include businesses, and so if a business owner thinks their religious beliefs would be violated by delivering service to an LGBT person, the Act allows them to deny them service, a move that some have called "anti-gay segregation".

Now this is pretty much spot on with the same one that was attempted in Arizona but here is the part of the bill I'm really terrified about:

As an added provision, Governor Bryant also signed a student specific version of the Act (The Mississippi Student Religious Liberties Act) which protects the views of students in any educational institution from being reprimanded for their religious views. Under the bill, a school may not discipline a student for expressing anti-LGBT views either verbally or through written assignments.

So basically you can pretty much verbally abuse someone for being gay or write a paper about it if its an valid assignment given by the teacher and NOTHING will come of it. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

This really angers me seeing as I had a friend in high school 4-5 years ago who was gay and although this bill was passed....nothing happened no matter how bad the comment towards his sexuality. This kid killed himself not 3 months ago in his college dorm room with a note reflecting over not only things from his childhood but also more recent verbal abuse from fellow classmates. His parents aren't even looking for answers or looking to hold the school accountable seeing as he did seek help once and nothing came of it. They're heavily religious so they sort of cut him off in a way and just chalk it up to the devil Angry

All this happened BEFORE this bill making it permitted by law, can you just imagine the consequences of this that will never hit the news? I'm sure sooner or later this will get overturned because not everyone in my home state has this hate justified by religion outlook. I just hope no one get's hurt before that happens.

I always thought that Mississipi is a nice place to live....

if you like sex with goats or your sister.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Germans are coming's post
08-04-2014, 06:40 AM
(08-04-2014 06:35 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 06:18 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So this really hits home for me seeing as I was raised for the bulk of my childhood(age 5 to 18) in Mississippi. I can't really say I'm shocked seeing as it is one of the most conservative and religious states in the south. For those that don't know the details of this new act the jist of it is as follows:

I always thought that Mississipi is a nice place to live....

if you like sex with goats or your sister.

Yeah I left mainly because of the religious nuts and racist but what's even worse is I know a few people who've done both of those....great place to raise a family Undecided
08-04-2014, 06:43 AM
The bill is actually worded really vague. It does not specifically say those things, but left open to interpertation it can say lots of things.
08-04-2014, 06:45 AM
(08-04-2014 06:43 AM)wazzel Wrote:  The bill is actually worded really vague. It does not specifically say those things, but left open to interpertation it can say lots of things.

Hmmm open to interpretation to help justify what ever hate you're spewing at the moment.....where have I seen that before?? Lol
08-04-2014, 06:48 AM
(08-04-2014 06:45 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 06:43 AM)wazzel Wrote:  The bill is actually worded really vague. It does not specifically say those things, but left open to interpertation it can say lots of things.

Hmmm open to interpretation to help justify what ever hate you're spewing at the moment.....where have I seen that before?? Lol

Lots of places.

I did read the bill to see what was up and how bad it was.
08-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Not too surprising. Mississippi is arguably the worst state in the country. Only place that's more racist is Birmingham.
08-04-2014, 07:40 AM
It's frightening at times to see how far religion is spreading throughout state and local politics, turning it into something far uglier than it would have been otherwise.

"Because I have a right to be heard... I have a voice!"
08-04-2014, 07:57 AM
It's amazing how one-directional religious freedoms are to conservatives.

I live in Michigan. We tried to push through an anti-bullying law, and the Republicans wanted to have any religiously-motivated bullying excluded. Now, in their defense, I don't think they specifically limited it to anti-gay bullying. I think it's technically open to anti-Christian bullying as well, but that's obviously not what they meant, and it's not what's going to happen in the majority of schools.

(08-04-2014 07:40 AM)September Wrote:  It's frightening at times to see how far religion is spreading throughout state and local politics, turning it into something far uglier than it would have been otherwise.

Yeah, that stuff is frighteningly viable and popular on a local and state level. I'm just glad it can't get traction on a national level. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if this strong state/local push for this type of legislation ends up hurting the Republican brand nationally in the long run. Even if a national candidate doesn't campaign on those issues, a lot of people might remember all their state/local politicians pushing for those very issues.

The party will always distance itself from the Aikens and Murdocks. It's harder to do so if they're successfully pushing through legislation that gains national attention.
08-04-2014, 08:04 AM
(08-04-2014 07:57 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Yeah, that stuff is frighteningly viable and popular on a local and state level.

It can certainly work wonders (from their perspective) when they are dealing in a state that has been gerrymandered all to hell and back. I live in Texas and the prospect of this state changing in a political sense seems like a fairy tale, one that might seem remotely plausible.. but in a far off future kind of way.

"Because I have a right to be heard... I have a voice!"