Mississippi Religious Freedom Restoration Act

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-04-2014, 08:20 AM
RE: Mississippi Religious Freedom Restoration Act
(08-04-2014 07:30 AM)natachan Wrote:  Not too surprising. Mississippi is arguably the worst state in the country. Only place that's more racist is Birmingham.

You must have never heard of Detroit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2014, 08:20 AM
When we mock and bully the religious on this forum, are we guilty of the same things these laws are looking to allow?

Just spitballing here, where is the line between bullying and freedom of speech?

Take the Westboro Babtist Church as an example, they can say the most hideous of things yet the First Amendment protects them, how is verbal bullying any different?

Something to ponder and discuss.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
08-04-2014, 08:35 AM
(08-04-2014 08:20 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  When we mock and bully the religious on this forum, are we guilty of the same things these laws are looking to allow?

Just spitballing here, where is the line between bullying and freedom of speech?

Take the Westboro Babtist Church as an example, they can say the most hideous of things yet the First Amendment protects them, how is verbal bullying any different?

it would not be bullying since it is not direct interaction. Mocking, yes.

There is a line when your actions directly negatively impact another, causes them undo inconvinenance or impeeds them from exercising their rights. Our rights are not absolute, hate to tell you.

I have no idea how WBC got away with what they did. They cossed the line in more than one way.
08-04-2014, 08:36 AM
It is worth remembering that freedom of speech means exactly that... You either have it or not. And that applies to everyone, Christian, gay, atheist or whatever. Whether its offensive, factually wrong or just crazy, you have the right to say it.

Threatening language shouldn't be tolerated though.

But... Businesses should not have the right to deny services to people based on prejudice. Be it racial, sexual, religious or otherwise... In all cases its segregation and should be banned.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
08-04-2014, 08:40 AM
(08-04-2014 08:04 AM)September Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 07:57 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Yeah, that stuff is frighteningly viable and popular on a local and state level.

It can certainly work wonders (from their perspective) when they are dealing in a state that has been gerrymandered all to hell and back. I live in Texas and the prospect of this state changing in a political sense seems like a fairy tale, one that might seem remotely plausible.. but in a far off future kind of way.

I've read rumors about Texas going purple in the near future, although I've read plenty of counter-rumors, too. From what I understand, if the GOP doesn't do something to broaden it's base, it will happen in the next few election cycles. That being said, it is a problem they can fix.
08-04-2014, 08:43 AM
(08-04-2014 08:20 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  When we mock and bully the religious on this forum, are we guilty of the same things these laws are looking to allow?

Hate Speech

Atir aissom atir imon
08-04-2014, 08:45 AM
(08-04-2014 08:35 AM)wazzel Wrote:  

it would not be bullying since it is not direct interaction. Mocking, yes.

There is a line when your actions directly negatively impact another, causes them undo inconvinenance or impeeds them from exercising their rights. Our rights are not absolute, hate to tell you.

I have no idea how WBC got away with what they did. They cossed the line in more than one way.

I listened to the Supreme Court hearing. The plaintiff argued that these were "fighting words" that directly incited violence. The WBC argued they weren't and that this was political protest which is protected speech. They won. Now if one of them had been assaulted I'm not sure the verdict would have gone the other way. Decent people apparently have too much restraint.
08-04-2014, 08:46 AM
(08-04-2014 08:40 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 08:04 AM)September Wrote:  It can certainly work wonders (from their perspective) when they are dealing in a state that has been gerrymandered all to hell and back. I live in Texas and the prospect of this state changing in a political sense seems like a fairy tale, one that might seem remotely plausible.. but in a far off future kind of way.

I've read rumors about Texas going purple in the near future, although I've read plenty of counter-rumors, too. From what I understand, if the GOP doesn't do something to broaden it's base, it will happen in the next few election cycles. That being said, it is a problem they can fix.

All states are some shade of purple. Even NY and CA have large republican areas.
08-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Even by their own bullshit, Jesus said "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22:39) and "In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets." (Matthew 7:12).

Where the fuck does it say "...unless they are gay"? Angry

We have a lot of anti-discrimination laws in the U.S. Why does Mississippi get to make its own exceptions? This just turns my stomach! Angry

Get religion the fuck out of government! At most, they should only be able to make such laws within their congregations and they should still be subjected to the larger rule of law which should have no religious input at all.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
08-04-2014, 08:55 AM
(08-04-2014 08:46 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 08:40 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I've read rumors about Texas going purple in the near future, although I've read plenty of counter-rumors, too. From what I understand, if the GOP doesn't do something to broaden it's base, it will happen in the next few election cycles. That being said, it is a problem they can fix.

All states are some shade of purple. Even NY and CA have large republican areas.

I can attest to this. Growing up in orange county, Cali = 95% republican. I used to get in debates with kids from my schools (and sometimes eventually parents). You know it's sad when you go from "I dunno it's what my mom said" (kid) to "what do you know little boy?" (mom). Facepalm

Atir aissom atir imon