Mississippi Religious Freedom Restoration Act

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-04-2014, 08:58 AM
RE: Mississippi Religious Freedom Restoration Act
(08-04-2014 08:20 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  When we mock and bully the religious on this forum, are we guilty of the same things these laws are looking to allow?

Just spitballing here, where is the line between bullying and freedom of speech?

Take the Westboro Babtist Church as an example, they can say the most hideous of things yet the First Amendment protects them, how is verbal bullying any different?

Something to ponder and discuss.
That's an interesting point, but then there is no need for this new Act to give special attention to protecting those who would direct their verbal abuse to LGBT specifically. By doing so, it stinks of prejudice. Why no specific laws protecting verbal abuse of people with disabilities, or certain races, or males or females, or any other group? It's not about general protection, that's why. It's about an agenda against the LGBT community. The Act also apparently permits denying services (i.e. discrimination) to LGBT if someone thinks it violates their religious views. That seems to fly in the face of anti-discrimination laws.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
08-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Be careful here everyone equating republican to religion. Yes, there are republican supporters of this but lets call it what it is: religion is driving this, not a party.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
08-04-2014, 09:12 AM
(08-04-2014 09:03 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Be careful here everyone equating republican to religion. Yes, there are republican supporters of this but lets call it what it is: religion is driving this, not a party.

The is a vocal segment in the republican party that has embraced religious fundies. It drives plans in thier paltforms at all levels. Bill like this are driven by those people in the republican party.
08-04-2014, 09:16 AM
(08-04-2014 08:40 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 08:04 AM)September Wrote:  It can certainly work wonders (from their perspective) when they are dealing in a state that has been gerrymandered all to hell and back. I live in Texas and the prospect of this state changing in a political sense seems like a fairy tale, one that might seem remotely plausible.. but in a far off future kind of way.

I've read rumors about Texas going purple in the near future, although I've read plenty of counter-rumors, too. From what I understand, if the GOP doesn't do something to broaden it's base, it will happen in the next few election cycles. That being said, it is a problem they can fix.

Well they have two options, as near as I can tell...

1.) broaden their policy or message to appeal to a changing demographic

or

2.) make it harder for those within that demographic to vote

I wonder which one they'll pick first... *lol*

"Because I have a right to be heard... I have a voice!"
08-04-2014, 09:29 AM
(08-04-2014 08:46 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 08:40 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I've read rumors about Texas going purple in the near future, although I've read plenty of counter-rumors, too. From what I understand, if the GOP doesn't do something to broaden it's base, it will happen in the next few election cycles. That being said, it is a problem they can fix.

All states are some shade of purple. Even NY and CA have large republican areas.

When I say "purple" I don't mean "Some red and some blue, depending on the area", but rather "Viable for either party on a national level in the electoral college". Also, it could mean "battle ground state".

I understand that all 50 states can be further divided up into areas, some red and some blue.

(08-04-2014 09:16 AM)September Wrote:  Well they have two options, as near as I can tell...

1.) broaden their policy or message to appeal to a changing demographic

or

2.) make it harder for those within that demographic to vote

I wonder which one they'll pick first... *lol*

The second one is a short term fix, and they've already been doing it.
08-04-2014, 09:32 AM
(08-04-2014 08:20 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  When we mock and bully the religious on this forum, are we guilty of the same things these laws are looking to allow?

Just spitballing here, where is the line between bullying and freedom of speech?

Take the Westboro Babtist Church as an example, they can say the most hideous of things yet the First Amendment protects them, how is verbal bullying any different?

You might have had a point if this were an xtian forum. Or even a forum set up for atheist-xtian debate.

The xtians who get beat up here are the ones who come here trolling for a fight.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
08-04-2014, 09:35 AM
(08-04-2014 06:43 AM)wazzel Wrote:  The bill is actually worded really vague. It does not specifically say those things, but left open to interpertation it can say lots of things.

The vagueness is intentional: because they couldn't get away with writing specific language singling out LBGTs.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
08-04-2014, 09:48 AM
(08-04-2014 09:29 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  [The second one is a short term fix, and they've already been doing it.

Too true.

"Because I have a right to be heard... I have a voice!"
08-04-2014, 10:05 AM

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2014, 10:30 AM
(08-04-2014 09:32 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  

You might have had a point if this were an xtian forum. Or even a forum set up for atheist-xtian debate.

The xtians who get beat up here are the ones who come here trolling for a fight.

Pitbu...er, Taq, notice I phrased it in the form of a question. Cool

Already some very good points have been made. The comment on why it's "OK" to single out the LGBT community as opposed to any other group is interesting. I think the question for the courts will be how much shit can you get away with under the guise of religion that is not tolerated for any other reason.

Another thread is already discussing the pending decision on the Hobby Lobby case that deals tangently to the point we're talking about here. But let's apply a thought that just came to me. Using your argument that that the xtians had it coming for entering into this forum, what if we applied that same logic to a Hobby Lobby type store?

The argument would sound something like this:
HL - "They (LGBT) knew we were intolerant of their lifestyle when they walked through our doors, we didn't ask them to come here. So some of our employees called them names and harassed them, what did they expect?

Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce