Mississippi town figures out simple, effective way to stop Westboro Baptist Church fu

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2011, 06:02 PM

Video Mississippi town figures out simple, effective way to stop Westboro Baptist Church fu
I HATE THE MEDIA
April 23, 2011

This article has taken off like wildfire today, and we wish to welcome all the new readers that are stopping by for the first time. We invite you to go to our home page and take a look around. If you like what you see, subscribe to our RSS feed, or our daily email of new articles. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter. And by all means, please join in the conversations in the comments.

Brandon, Mississippi will go down in history as the town where the Westboro Baptist Church met its match.

The lunatics showed up to protest at the funeral of local hero Staff Sgt Jason Rogers who was killed in Afghanistan, but left town without making a peep. They may have made a few moans and groans, but no peeps.
westboro-demonstrator

Westboro Baptist is really more of an asylum than a church

The Hayride has the righteous report: (Continues w/video update)

It's Mississippi. A small town in Mississippi, paying tribute to a big hero on the day of his funeral. A place where everybody know's everybody and outsiders, especially this ilk, stick out like anti-American bigoted phobic sore thumbs without a peep. Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2011, 09:02 PM
RE: Mississippi town figures out simple, effective way to stop Westboro Baptist Church fu
Loving this story, have long despised the WBC. The inbred morons have no place in the modern world.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2011, 11:12 PM
RE: Mississippi town figures out simple, effective way to stop Westboro Baptist Church fu
FINALLY. Maybe more communities will follow suit.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
28-04-2011, 06:12 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2011 06:41 AM by BnW.)
I'm sure I'm in the minority but I don't think this is a good thing. People being hauled in for questioning on a trumped up crime as a means of suppressing their right to free speech is not something we should be celebrating. If you are willing to allow the rights of free speech and peaceful assembly to be infringed on people you strongly don't agree with, you've pretty much waived your right to complain when the same tactics are used on people you do agree with, or even when they are used on you.

What if instead of the WBC morons some town decided to do this to stop a group of atheists from protesting some new proposed law that required school prayer or something like that? This is a very slippery slope. I think the WBC is despicable too but I'd much rather live in a country where despicable people are free to voice unpopular opinions than live in a country where the majority can bully away the rights of unpopular minorities. Finally, what is most concerning to me is that this article says that one of the WBC members may have been assaulted and the locals were basically allowed to get away with it. How is that ok? Is that really something we want to celebrate?

There are a whole bunch of people in this country who have no idea what freedom really means.
Oh, one other thought on this: If this article is giving an accurate description of what happened, then I seriously doubt this is over. Two things the WBC are good at: generating free press for themselves and using the courts to protect their rights. This article reads like some fairly significant - and potentially costly - civil rights violations were carried out by the local police. Based on their history, I find it unlikely that the WBC is going to just forget about that and let it go.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
28-04-2011, 09:46 AM
I agree with BnW 100%. As much as I hate WBC, this is a dangerous thing. Remember, some people hate atheists as much as we hate the Westborough Baptists. If this is ok, then it's ok to silence other groups in the same way. Those assholes have as much right to be protected by the law as everyone else.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
28-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Suppression of peoples right's to freedom of assembly and free speech happen all the time in this country.

Qur’an-burning pastor denied right to protest in Michigan

Atheist professor converts to Christianity then is denied tenure by other atheists

UNC violates speech right
Court rules university unlawful for refusing to promote professor

SMART files appeal in fight against 'Leaving Islam?' ad for Metro Detroit buses

Contrary to what the Supreme Court says, the Phelps clan posse are scum of the earth. They intend to incite violence, they assault people by spitting on them, cursing grieving family members on their way to funerals, hold signs aloft, which is just fine, showing all who watch that they're inbred hateful psychotically violent cur!
And the supreme court that says they're freely entitled to be so, declares other people have to suffer them.
No, not really!
As Mississippi proved. And how did they do that? OMG! By exercising every lawful right they had, in the process. And how do we know that? Because most of the Phelps inbred clown posse are attorneys, including barred bastard Fred himself. If it wasn't legal the follow up story to this piece would be, the sue happy Phelp's clan, who instigate violence everywhere they go so they can be assaulted first and then sue for damages so as to survive their psychotic hate speech road trips, would have sued in this case.

Is there a headline to that effect anywhere? *looks around* Damn, guess not. That's because grieving people in a tiny town in Mississippi were forewarned on the Westboro Baptist Church website they were coming. Because Westboro advertises their intent to obsess on travel to deliver hate speech well ahead of time. And the people in a tiny town, decided they were free not to be harassed. Not to be attacked. And their town hero, was free not to be called a Fag in front of his family who knew better. They were free not to be told their god loves the fact their son died in Afghanistan!
Freedom in this country works for everyone. And that means others have every right to be free of hate speech and psychotic assault and offensive behavior! Even when it thinks it has a right to ask for permission to do that!

And besides, it's over now. And the Phelps clown posse didn't get to feed off their hate, or inflict harm on innocent people who are entitled to be free of verbal assault at a funeral.
There's a rhetoric that says, I may not agree with what you have to say but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it.

I guess it depends on what a person thinks their life is worth. Then again, if that rhetoric had any merit, there wouldn't be lawful limits on free speech in America. But there are. And that being the case, people have a right to be free of hate speech just as much as some people think they have no choice but to suffer it.
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2011, 11:59 AM
If this were truly about free speech, then I would be against the whole thing. I don't think it is at all, I think that it's about profiting off of needless lawsuits that the WBC files well, for profit. Therefore I don't mind this small town kicking these leeches to the curb and effectively preventing anything from going down that the WBC-tards could have sued over.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
29-04-2011, 12:22 AM
@hughsie, its funny because they actually are inbred.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
29-04-2011, 12:01 PM
It is a slippery slope, I agree with that. The best way forward would be to allow all protests except ones that are openly preaching hate, prejudice or discrimination. That would stop freaks like the WBC without the rest of us risking having our rights infringed. Should also consider banning all protests/pickets at funerals.
29-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I disagree.

The best way forward would be to respect the rights of everyone to speak their mind and voice their opinions free from restrictions and infringements from majorities. When you start putting judgment calls into who's speech is going to be allowed, you've opened the door to all kinds of problems. The best response to scumbags like the Phelps family is to simply ignore them, because all they really want is publicity.

As for protesting funerals, it's a pretty despicable thing to do and private citizens should not have to tolerate having their grief intruded upon by zealots like the WBC. I can see allowing some restrictions on how close you can get to a funeral, and the law has long allowed reasonable restrictions on the time, place or manner of speech. When you put restrictions out that are intended to prevent it or make expression so difficult as to almost be impossible, though, you've crossed the line.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost