Missouri Releases Another Prisoner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2015, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2015 03:45 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Missouri Releases Another Prisoner
I knew this guy, did time with him here in Missouri. He actually got caught with 6 pounds of weed, and so instead of 30 years (like I had) he got Life in prison. I only lost 9 years of my life... he lost 21.

At the end of August, he was finally let out by order of the Governor of Missouri.

http://www.abc17news.com/news/jeff-mizan...n/34634924

Edit to Add: Full disclosure, I was not in the same facility he was in Jefferson City Correctional Center, I was in an adjacent facility (next door, or actually up the hill), called Algoa Correctional Center, but my Law Library work put me in contact with him.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2015, 03:41 PM
RE: Missouri Releases Another Prisoner
Also, in a link at the bottom of the above page, was this, about a stabbing that happened while I was there, at the prison where I did most of my time:

http://www.abc17news.com/missouri-news/2...n/35860860

Totally the kind of place where we should be punishing our potheads, housing them with those guys.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
22-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Wow. I'm glad he's finally getting out though. Life in prison for 6 pounds of weed seems awfully harsh.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
22-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Welcome to the State of Missouri Misery.

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
22-10-2015, 10:23 PM
(22-10-2015 04:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Wow. I'm glad he's finally getting out though. Life in prison for 6 pounds of weed seems awfully harsh.

Seems like a direct contravention of "no cruel and unusual punishments".

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
23-10-2015, 01:45 AM
Unfortunately, unless you're doing something that other states don't do, the feds are very reluctant to use that amendment to tell states they can't give out extreme punishments for drugs, especially since the federal drug laws can be astoundingly harsh.

The entire Drug War in its modern form was kicked off by Nixon for the purpose of shutting down the Counterculture movement, due to the establishment's fear of the anti-war, anticapitalist groups like the hippies and Black Panthers, etc. The best way to remove the leadership of those groups and effectively gut them was to lock up their leaders for decades over drug laws, which are easy to plant (no pun intended) on anyone you wish to convict, until they became irrelevant.

[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
23-10-2015, 01:58 AM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2015 04:44 AM by Szuchow.)
(22-10-2015 04:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Life in prison for 6 pounds of weed seems awfully harsh.

Harsh is too mild word I would say. Draconian would be better fit. Also this entire "war on drugs" has some fascist overtones in my opinion. Don't know how exactly it look in USA but in Poland it is used to gain political points and rack up police statistics; nothing good come from it. But when state was concerned with it subjects* liberty?

*Not a mistake.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
23-10-2015, 07:00 AM
(23-10-2015 01:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(22-10-2015 04:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Life in prison for 6 pounds of weed seems awfully harsh.

Harsh is too mild word I would say. Draconian would be better fit. Also this entire "war on drugs" has some fascist overtones in my opinion. Don't know how exactly it look in USA but in Poland it is used to gain political points and rack up police statistics; nothing good come from it. But when state was concerned with it subjects* liberty?

*Not a mistake.

Some fascist overtones? Lol. Again... too mild. It is completely fascist.

Yeah, here in the USA, it's pretty bad. The mandatory minimum sentences for minor offenses are often more harsh than the punishment for murder or rape. Seriously, hearing that someone got life for 6 lbs of weed is depressingly not shocking. I can't imagine how it feels to be in for life for a fucking plant and see guys getting out after a decade or so after murdering their ex-wife.

Luckily, the tide seems to be turning against the drug warriors and their asinine crusade.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 5 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
23-10-2015, 07:17 AM
You did 9 years Rocket?

And Life for 6 ponds of weed is insane.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 3 users Like Slowminded's post
23-10-2015, 07:29 AM
(23-10-2015 07:17 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  You did 9 years Rocket?

And Life for 6 ponds of weed is insane.

Yeap. And all I did (allegedly) was develop an electronic in-home growth system for AIDS patients who wanted to be able to not have to go to a drug dealer to get their medicine. Wasn't even caught with any actual weed; they only had testimony by my ex-GF, whom I had just dumped after catching her cheating, that told them I was some kind of major player in the local weed market. It was enough to get me 30 years for manufacturing, as if I was making meth or something. They had none of the people I allegedly supplied to, and basically buried me because they were convinced I was part of a supplier network (I wasn't) and I refused to give them names. They kept me in dungeon-like isolation wards, surrounded by people screaming like they were being stabbed 23-hours-a-day, smearing poop, etc, because they wanted to "break" me so I'd give them names and wouldn't make them take me to trial. They would actually come by every week with the jail's psychologist, who was required to "sign off" on me being held in that unit, and ask me if I was ready to talk. When I said no, he'd say not a word, but would sign the paper standing right behind them.

When I was finally (and illegally) convicted, they stuck me into Maximum security facilities because of the length of my sentence, with murderers and rapists, etc. By comparison to the isolation cells in the crazy wards, it was a cake-walk, especially since by then I had gotten very good at jailhouse lawyering-- nothing else to do in that isolation cell but read law books, really.

Thankfully, they also prevented me from producing potentially exonerating evidence at trial, and they allowed some evidence that should not have been admitted, which got my case (eventually) reviewed by the higher courts, after seemingly-endless delays by the prosecution (at one point, they even claimed a lawyer quit ON THE DAY a reply was due to one of my appeals, which bought them another four months to get a reply in, via the new attorney). They did not establish in trial the required elements for such conviction, so the judge had simply removed the elements they could not prove to the jury from the jury instructions, and thus the conviction was baseless. Nine years of my life for nothing.

[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post