19-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Missouri constitutional amendment

FIRST REGULAR SESSION
[TRULY AGREED TO AND FINALLY PASSED]

HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 2

96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY

0293L.01T

JOINT RESOLUTION

Submitting to the qualified voters of Missouri an amendment repealing section 5 of article I of
the Constitution of Missouri, and adopting one new section in lieu thereof relating to the
right to pray.

Be it resolved by the House of Representatives, the Senate concurring therein:

That at the next general election to be held in the state of Missouri, on Tuesday next
2 following the first Monday in November, 2012, or at a special election to be called by the
3 governor for that purpose, there is hereby submitted to the qualified voters of this state, for
4 adoption or rejection, the following amendment to article I of the Constitution of the state of
5 Missouri:
Section A. Section 5, article I, Constitution of Missouri, is repealed and one new section
2 adopted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 5, to read as follows:
Section 5. That all men
and women have a natural and indefeasible right to worship
2 Almighty God according to the dictates of their own consciences; that no human authority can
3 control or interfere with the rights of conscience; that no person shall, on account of his
[font=Times New Roman]or her

4 religious persuasion or belief, be rendered ineligible to any public office or trust or profit in this
5 state, be disqualified from testifying or serving as a juror, or be molested in his [b][font=Times New Roman]or her
person[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]6 or estate[b][font=Times New Roman]; that to secure a citizen's right to acknowledge Almighty God according to the

[align=left]7 [b][font=Times New Roman]dictates of his or her own conscience, neither the state nor any of its political subdivisions

[align=left]8 [b][font=Times New Roman]shall establish any official religion, nor shall a citizen's right to pray or express his or her

[align=left]9 [b][font=Times New Roman]religious beliefs be infringed; that the state shall not coerce any person to participate in any

[align=left]10 [b][font=Times New Roman]prayer or other religious activity, but shall ensure that any person shall have the right to

[align=left]11 [b][font=Times New Roman]pray individually or corporately in a private or public setting so long as such prayer does

[align=left]12 [b][font=Times New Roman]not result in disturbance of the peace or disruption of a public meeting or assembly; that

[align=left]13 [b][font=Times New Roman]citizens as well as elected officials and employees of the state of Missouri and its political

[align=left]14 [b][font=Times New Roman]subdivisions shall have the right to pray on government premises and public property so

[align=left]HJR 2 2[font=Times New Roman][font=Times New Roman][size=small]EXPLANATION — Matter enclosed in bold-faced brackets [b][font=Times New Roman][size=small][font=Times New Roman][size=small][
[font=Times New Roman][size=small]thus[b][font=Times New Roman][size=small][font=Times New Roman][size=small]] [font=Times New Roman][size=small][font=Times New Roman][size=small]in the above bill is not enacted and is intended[font=Times New Roman][size=small][font=Times New Roman][size=small]
[align=left]to be omitted from the law. Matter in [b][font=Times New Roman][size=small][font=Times New Roman][size=small]bold-face [font=Times New Roman][size=small][font=Times New Roman][size=small]type in the above bill is proposed language.[b][font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]long as such prayers abide within the same parameters [font=Times New Roman]15 [b][font=Times New Roman]placed upon any other free speech[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]16 [b][font=Times New Roman]under similar circumstances; that the General Assembly and the governing bodies of[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]17 [b][font=Times New Roman]political subdivisions may extend to ministers, clergypersons, and other individuals the[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]18 [b][font=Times New Roman]privilege to offer invocations or other prayers at meetings or sessions of the General[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]19 [b][font=Times New Roman]Assembly or governing bodies; that students may express their beliefs about religion in[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]20 [b][font=Times New Roman]written and oral assignments free from discrimination based on the religious content of[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]21 [b][font=Times New Roman]their work; that no student shall be compelled to perform or participate in academic[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]22 [b][font=Times New Roman]assignments or educational presentations that violate his or her religious beliefs; that the[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]23 [b][font=Times New Roman]state shall ensure public school students their right to free exercise of religious expression[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]24 [b][font=Times New Roman]without interference, as long as such prayer or other expression is private and voluntary,[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]25 [b][font=Times New Roman]whether individually or corporately, and in a manner that is not disruptive and as long as[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]26 [b][font=Times New Roman]such prayers or expressions abide within the same parameters placed upon any other free[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]27 [b][font=Times New Roman]speech under similar circumstances; and, to emphasize the right to free exercise of religious[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]28 [b][font=Times New Roman]expression, that all free public schools receiving state appropriations shall display, in a[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]29 [b][font=Times New Roman]conspicuous and legible manner, the text of the Bill of Rights of the Constitution of the[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]30 [b][font=Times New Roman]United States[font=Times New Roman]; but this section shall not be construed to [b][font=Times New Roman]expand the rights of prisoners in state[font=Times New Roman]31 [b][font=Times New Roman]or local custody beyond those afforded by the laws of the United States, [font=Times New Roman]excuse acts of[font=Times New Roman]
[align=left]32 licentiousness, nor to justify practices inconsistent with the good order, peace or safety of the
[align=left]33 state, or with the rights of others.
[align=left]Section B. Pursuant to Chapter 116, RSMo, and other applicable constitutional
[align=left]2 provisions and laws of this state allowing the General Assembly to adopt ballot language for the
[align=left]3 submission of a joint resolution to the voters of this state, the official ballot title of the
[align=left]4 amendment proposed in Section A shall be as follows:
[align=left]5 "Shall the Missouri Constitution be amended to ensure:
[align=left]6 • That the right of Missouri citizens to express their religious beliefs shall not be
[align=left]7 infringed;
[align=left]8 • That school children have the right to pray and acknowledge God voluntarily in
[align=left]9 their schools; and
[align=left]10 • That all public schools shall display the Bill of Rights of the United States
11 Constitution.".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2012, 02:32 PM
RE: Missouri constitutional amendment
Yeah, well as soon as the fuckwads figure out it means Muslims get ta pray too, they'll be goin, "oh wait". Stay tuned.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-07-2012, 02:36 PM
(19-07-2012 02:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yeah, well as soon as the fuckwads figure out it means Muslims get ta pray too, they'll be goin, "oh wait". Stay tuned.
And FSM worshipers I hope.
19-07-2012, 02:48 PM
(19-07-2012 02:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-07-2012 02:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yeah, well as soon as the fuckwads figure out it means Muslims get ta pray too, they'll be goin, "oh wait". Stay tuned.
And FSM worshipers I hope.
As an ordained minister in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I would have to go to Missouri and assert my rights if this passes. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
19-07-2012, 02:54 PM
So they just restated the US constitution as the right to religious freedom. Huh
Evil_monster The First Church of Satan thanks you.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
19-07-2012, 03:38 PM
My brain shut off because of all of that code, but outside of that, it's a well worded proposition. I was worried until it made it clear that the state was not allowed to cavort with religion. Like most though, my issue is with "Almighty God". I think the freedom is good and that it doesn't short circuit anything, but I just don't think "Almighty God" needs to be in there. I think "to pray" is fine. More inclusive.

My friend was saying something similar to this to me the other day. Is this the thing where people are all like, "but not for Muslims, they can suck a dick?"

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
19-07-2012, 03:43 PM
(19-07-2012 03:38 PM)Ghost Wrote:  My brain shut off because of all of that code, but outside of that, it's a well worded proposition. I was worried until it made it clear that the state was not allowed to cavort with religion. Like most though, my issue is with "Almighty God". I think the freedom is good and that it doesn't short circuit anything, but I just don't think "Almighty God" needs to be in there. I think "to pray" is fine. More inclusive.

My friend was saying something similar to this to me the other day. Is this the thing where people are all like, "but not for Muslims, they can suck a dick?"

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
It short-circuits the 1st Amendment. It allows prayers led by elected officials at government meetings.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Does this mean it's unconstitutional w.r.t. the US constitution, despite being constitutional w.r.t. the Missouri constitution if it passes?
19-07-2012, 03:59 PM
The 1st ammendment mainly gives the right of people to speak freely without government obstruction. A politican is not banned from free speech. They cannot address the public as a representative of the government and say that the government is supporting religion X. This is where I get lost in the interpretation. When the mention of god is banned at a high school graduation in a speech by a student it seems over the top. It's the student making the speech, not the school. The argument that others "feel uncomfortable" is not an excuse for banning speech. I should have the right to give thanks to my Lord, Lucifer if I am the valedictorian.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
19-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah in a couple ways it will be unconstitutional in regards to the US one. Such as the fact it gives students the right to avoid anything about school which goes against their religion. That code needs to be removed because it makes this hard to read.

This is stating that religious things can be made before meetings, including for government officials. It's basically trying to cover up everything that's been coming up as a lawsuit.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.