Missouri enacts 72 hour abortion waiting period

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2014, 06:49 PM
RE: Missouri enacts 72 hour abortion waiting period
(12-09-2014 06:25 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:27 PM)pablo Wrote:  I understand that with most procedures an appointment needs to be set up due to scheduling or availability.
What I have a problem with is the arbitrary 3 days law. (is that a 3 day minimum?) It's not the same as having to wait because they simply can't fit you into the clinic because they're busy.
I also have a problem with what they may want to use those 3 days for.
Why does this law only apply to abortions? Why not other electives such as cosmetic surgery?
To me this waiting period stinks of an underhanded agenda.
Of course it does. It's obviously a measure pointed at abortion specifically (even by definition it is such). I think you are absolutely right, with this new standard, they are definitely creating a precedent to make this waiting period apply to other forms of non-urgent medical treatment.

What other treatments would they be wanting to enforce this on besides abortion?
I would think that they would want to create precedent somewhere else first to make it easier to enforce it on abortions if that were the case.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
12-09-2014, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 07:11 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-09-2014 06:49 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 06:25 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Of course it does. It's obviously a measure pointed at abortion specifically (even by definition it is such). I think you are absolutely right, with this new standard, they are definitely creating a precedent to make this waiting period apply to other forms of non-urgent medical treatment.

What other treatments would they be wanting to enforce this on besides abortion?
I would think that they would want to create precedent somewhere else first to make it easier to enforce it on abortions if that were the case.

That would've been a savvy move. Don't give the lard-ass Republicunts any ideas.

"All elective procedures require a 72 hour 'reflection' period."

#sigh
12-09-2014, 08:02 PM
As a citicen of the state of Mizery, I think some of you have fallen prey to the excellent smoke and mirrors job done by those who enacted this crap Undecided

Nobody cares about waiting 5 days for a handgun cause you can buy 'em at any jake water gun shop! So the real issue that should recieve your protests, and concerns first is how all the abortion clinics between here and the one 150 miles from the applicant have been closed!

The 3 day wait is bullshit, but I'm with Adrianime in that there are other issues that could be adressed, and in fact deserve the brunt of our efforts, first!

Otherwise you win the battle like, "YAYYYY you don't have to wait 3 days! You can get an abortion today Banana_zorro ..... Got a car, time to take a 4 to 8 hour round trip, money for a motel room once you've reached that far away land that has an abortion clinic in it? No? Tough shit; we got that waiting period thang taken CARE of like BOSSES! Get a job!" Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
12-09-2014, 08:05 PM
(12-09-2014 08:02 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  As a citicen of the state of Mizery, I think some of you have fallen prey to the excellent smoke and mirrors job done by those who enacted this crap Undecided

Nobody cares about waiting 5 days for a handgun cause you can buy 'em at any jake water gun shop! So the real issue that should recieve your protests, and concerns first is how all the abortion clinics between here and the one 150 miles from the applicant have been closed!

The 3 day wait is bullshit, but I'm with Adrianime in that there are other issues that could be adressed, and in fact deserve the brunt of our efforts, first!

Otherwise you win the battle like, "YAYYYY you don't have to wait 3 days! You can get an abortion today Banana_zorro ..... Got a car, time to take a 4 to 8 hour round trip, money for a motel room once you've reached that far away land that has an abortion clinic in it? No? Tough shit; we got that waiting period thang taken CARE of like BOSSES! Get a job!" Dodgy

Yeah, I agree, there are better things to be fighting, but right now this is the battle we are being presented with. We lost on the closings, now we lost on the waiting period. Unless we fight each restriction as they appear, we get bulldozed.

Edit: oh, and we are talking about the wait time, and not other stuffs right now because of the OP Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
12-09-2014, 08:06 PM
(12-09-2014 08:02 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  As a citicen of the state of Mizery, I think some of you have fallen prey to the excellent smoke and mirrors job done by those who enacted this crap Undecided

That's the gist of it.

#sigh
12-09-2014, 08:18 PM
(12-09-2014 08:05 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Yeah, I agree, there are better things to be fighting, but right now this is the battle we are being presented with. We lost on the closings, now we lost on the waiting period. Unless we fight each restriction as they appear, we get bulldozed.

Edit: oh, and we are talking about the wait time, and not other stuffs right now because of the OP Big Grin

I don't agree. The waiting period and the restrictions on clinics that cause them to close go hand in hand. It's a self-defeating strategy if you're looking to reduce the State's welfare rolls. Most fucking politicians are too fucking simple to anticipate obvious unintended consequences.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-09-2014, 08:22 PM
(12-09-2014 08:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 08:05 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Yeah, I agree, there are better things to be fighting, but right now this is the battle we are being presented with. We lost on the closings, now we lost on the waiting period. Unless we fight each restriction as they appear, we get bulldozed.

I don't agree. The waiting period and the restrictions on clinics that cause them to close go hand in hand. It's a self-defeating strategy if you're looking to reduce the State's welfare rolls. Most fucking politicians are too fucking simple to anticipate obvious unintended consequences.

I'm not saying they don't go hand in hand, I'm just saying that we're all worked up over the waiting period ATM because of the recent ruling and the thread OP.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
12-09-2014, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 09:09 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-09-2014 08:22 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 08:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I don't agree. The waiting period and the restrictions on clinics that cause them to close go hand in hand. It's a self-defeating strategy if you're looking to reduce the State's welfare rolls. Most fucking politicians are too fucking simple to anticipate obvious unintended consequences.

I'm not saying they don't go hand in hand, I'm just saying that we're all worked up over the waiting period ATM because of the recent ruling and the thread OP.

There's like a shitload of lard-ass Republicunt States that already require a 24-hour "abortion reflection" period. Missouri is one of them. Why extend it to 72 hours when you already require 24? ... That was a rhetorical question.

#sigh
12-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Maybe they're planning on outlawing abortions for pregnancies that are longer than 3 days.
12-09-2014, 09:18 PM
(12-09-2014 09:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 08:22 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I'm not saying they don't go hand in hand, I'm just saying that we're all worked up over the waiting period ATM because of the recent ruling and the thread OP.

There's like a shitload of lard-ass Republicunt States that already require a 24-hour "abortion reflection" period. Missouri is one of them. Why extend it to 72 hours when you already require 24? ... That was a rhetorical question.

Cuz wimmin are, like, all eeemoshunul, an shit, and ya gotten let em cool down.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post