Missouri enacts 72 hour abortion waiting period

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2014, 09:38 AM
RE: Missouri enacts 72 hour abortion waiting period
(12-09-2014 09:26 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:49 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I actually don't have a problem with this. It is a surgical procedure and taking three days to think about it seems reasonable to me.

Well ma'am you seem to have a broken leg we will need to operate and insert screws. Please come back in 3 days.

But not because it takes that long to schedule and prepare. Oh, no.

We just want you to think about it. Are you sure you want to do it?

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2014, 10:03 AM
(12-09-2014 09:38 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 09:26 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well ma'am you seem to have a broken leg we will need to operate and insert screws. Please come back in 3 days.

But not because it takes that long to schedule and prepare. Oh, no.

Not even that, the state government says we have to wait this long because you're a woman and obviously need to be shamed.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-09-2014, 10:17 AM
Hmm, I'm the biggest pro-abortion person I've ever heard of, but I don't see this as equivalent to postponing an immediately necessary procedure (like the broken leg example). It is a BS rule, but it's still only a 3 day waiting period. Well within the realm of "formal hoops you have to jump through" which apply to many aspects of our dealings with society.

And like Angie said, 3 days to consider a (non-urgent) surgical procedure is very reasonable. If I had a 3 day waiting period for a vasectomy (for consideration) I would have no gripe.

Sometimes you gotta play by the rules, but honestly this rule is not very prohibitive or difficult to deal with, even if the intent behind it is a bit oppressive.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
12-09-2014, 10:20 AM
(12-09-2014 10:17 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hmm, I'm the biggest pro-abortion person I've ever heard of, but I don't see this as equivalent to postponing an immediately necessary procedure (like the broken leg example). It is a BS rule, but it's still only a 3 day waiting period. Well within the realm of "formal hoops you have to jump through" which apply to many aspects of our dealings with society.

And like Angie said, 3 days to consider a (non-urgent) surgical procedure is very reasonable. If I had a 3 day waiting period for a vasectomy (for consideration) I would have no gripe.

Sometimes you gotta play by the rules, but honestly this rule is not very prohibitive or difficult to deal with, even if the intent behind it is a bit oppressive.

The government should have no bearing on any medical procedure past licensing physicians and regulating conditions. This is not doing either of those things and is just a shaming tactic and another hurdle put in place because they feel their morals should trump other peoples rights.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-09-2014, 10:22 AM
(12-09-2014 10:03 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 09:38 AM)cjlr Wrote:  But not because it takes that long to schedule and prepare. Oh, no.

Not even that, the state government says we have to wait this long because you're a woman and obviously need to be shamed.
It's not necessarily shaming, especially since there is no list of abortion applicants put on display. The doctor would have the same opinion of the procedure with or without the wait.

12-09-2014, 10:23 AM
meh, I disagree on this. It's almost harmless, and would work well with other types of (non-urgent) procedures as well. If 3 days of consideration is really going to impact your decision then you probably needed those three days.

12-09-2014, 10:29 AM
(12-09-2014 10:23 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  meh, I disagree on this. It's almost harmless, and would work well with other types of (non-urgent) procedures as well. If 3 days of consideration is really going to impact your decision then you probably needed those three days.

Actually this combined with efforts to close abortion clinics place an undue burden on poor women seeking a constitutionally guaranteed right. If you have to travel 100 miles to a clinic and then are told you need to leave and return 3 days later and you do not own a car that basically means you are being denied the option.

[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-09-2014, 10:38 AM
(12-09-2014 10:29 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 10:23 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  meh, I disagree on this. It's almost harmless, and would work well with other types of (non-urgent) procedures as well. If 3 days of consideration is really going to impact your decision then you probably needed those three days.

Actually this combined with efforts to close abortion clinics place an undue burden on poor women seeking a constitutionally guaranteed right. If you have to travel 100 miles to a clinic and then are told you need to leave and return 3 days later and you do not own a car that basically means you are being denied the option.
Yes, that is a crappy combo, I agree on that. Although it seems like a two separate issues. Still I think that's in the realm of sucky formal hoops you have to jump through to get what you want. There are bus systems, taxis, friends and family. But money does prohibit people from getting what they want/need in many situations, just like this (which seems like a separate issue as well).

12-09-2014, 10:40 AM
(12-09-2014 10:38 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 10:29 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Actually this combined with efforts to close abortion clinics place an undue burden on poor women seeking a constitutionally guaranteed right. If you have to travel 100 miles to a clinic and then are told you need to leave and return 3 days later and you do not own a car that basically means you are being denied the option.
Yes, that is a crappy combo, I agree on that. Although it seems like a two separate issues. Still I think that's in the realm of sucky formal hoops you have to jump through to get what you want. There are bus systems, taxis, friends and family. But money does prohibit people from getting what they want/need in many situations, just like this (which seems like a separate issue as well).

Except it is not separate issues they are all end arounds used to ban abortions without banning abortions. Which is why they must be fought even when you can go well this one is not too bad...

12-09-2014, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 10:57 AM by Adrianime.)
I do have issue with closing abortion clinics or outlawing abortion. But a 3 day wait...when I apply that wait on ANY OTHER non-urgent elective medical procedure (especially life changing ones) makes complete sense. Making it difficult to find an abortion provider is a big deal, but this three day wait can be so easily dealt with, and can honestly really help in many situations, so I don't see it as a completely negative thing. A decision like abortion should be made after consideration (even if I personally think most un-planned pregnancies should end in abortion). I think choice is important, and having a sound mind to make that choice is important. 3 days at least gives the person some time to reflect, think over and consider any life-changing event (and sometimes 3 days is not enough!) At least it's more adequate than going with decisions made on impulse. If it is not an impulse decision, which I'm sure it usually isn't, they have already thought it through, then great! Just wait 3 days and you will get what you need.

I still think whether or not a person is financially capable of having an abortion is completely a separate issue.