Missouri enacts 72 hour abortion waiting period

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2014, 10:53 AM
RE: Missouri enacts 72 hour abortion waiting period
I understand that arguments for a 72 hour waiting period and that it is a relatively small inconvenience. It is also a tremendous insult to all women because it says to them, "We cannot trust you to know your own mind so the law needs to force you to take the time to think about this." If I were a woman, I'd be goddamned angry at any legislature that treated me like that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Black Eagle's post
12-09-2014, 10:59 AM
(12-09-2014 10:52 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I do have issue with closing abortion clinics or outlawing abortion. But a 3 day wait...when I apply that wait on ANY OTHER non-urgent elective medical procedure (especially life changing ones) makes complete sense. Making it difficult to find an abortion provider is a big deal, but this three day wait can be so easily dealt with, and can honestly really help in many situations, so I don't see it as a completely negative thing. A decision like abortion should be made after consideration (even if I personally think most un-planned pregnancies should end in abortion). I think choice is important, and having a sound mind to make that choice is important. 3 days at least gives the person some time to reflect, think over and consider any life-changing event (and sometimes 3 days is not enough!) At least it's more adequate than going with decisions made on impulse. If it is not an impulse decision, which I'm sure it usually isn't, they have already thought it through, then great! Just wait 3 days and you will get what you need.

I still think whether or not a person is financially capable of having an abortion is completely a separate issue.

This has nothing to do with any of that. If it was a doctor advising you to wait that is one thing this is not that. This is part of an overall strategy that has been played out all over red states. It is trying to make getting a legal abortion impossible without extraordinary effort.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
12-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Is there a parallel with asking people to wait three days to purchase a gun?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Quote:Yes, that is a crappy combo, I agree on that. Although it seems like a two separate issues. Still I think that's in the realm of sucky formal hoops you have to jump through to get what you want. There are bus systems, taxis, friends and family. But money does prohibit people from getting what they want/need in many situations, just like this (which seems like a separate issue as well).

Um, bullshit. So you are forcing a woman who doesn't have the money for bus fare to have a kid which she somehow, miraculously, will be able to afford? Or does she go on welfare and have to put up with republicunt shitheads who then denounce her as a welfare queen.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
12-09-2014, 11:12 AM
(12-09-2014 11:05 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Is there a parallel with asking people to wait three days to purchase a gun?

There could be if they were also closing gun stores by legislating impossible to meet standards.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Even if it is ill-intended, I don't think the negative impact is significant.

Most procedures already have a time period between initial visit and procedure. Raising a stink over it seems like activism for the sake of activism.

And I never said it was a medical advisement. It's more like a community advisement. But it's still just an advisement, not a ban.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
12-09-2014, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 11:20 AM by Adrianime.)
(12-09-2014 11:10 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Um, bullshit. So you are forcing a woman who doesn't have the money for bus fare to have a kid which she somehow, miraculously, will be able to afford? Or does she go on welfare and have to put up with republicunt shitheads who then denounce her as a welfare queen.
I'm not forcing anybody to do anything. Just commenting. But if she cannot financially afford two separate trips to the clinic, then that is a separate financial issue, and would still apply to many procedures which require an initial appointment before the date of the procedure.

Oh and by the tone of your post, I don't think you understand that I'm pro-abortion (and a little pro choice). I love abortion, and wish people would do it more often. But still, I will respect people's choice to give birth if they choose. I don't see this measure barring them from making their choice, only giving them a small formal "time of consideration".

12-09-2014, 11:18 AM
So I've been raped by my dad. I just found out I'm pregnant. I guess I better have the 3 days to "think it over" forced on me because as a woman I'm too stupid to have figured out what I want to do by now?
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
12-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Maybe they should just let the Ferguson police handle it. Tongue
12-09-2014, 11:25 AM
(12-09-2014 11:18 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  So I've been raped by my dad. I just found out I'm pregnant. I guess I better have the 3 days to "think it over" forced on me because as a woman I'm too stupid to have figured out what I want to do by now?
You can choose to...not think it over and go about your daily life as well. Either way, after 3 days it's still your choice. It's just a formality, sometimes it could be helpful, sometimes it won't be.