Missouri enacts 72 hour abortion waiting period

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2014, 11:28 AM
RE: Missouri enacts 72 hour abortion waiting period
I can tell you that if a woman is going in for an abortion she has already thought really long and hard about it.

Contrary to popular belief its not an easy decision to make.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
12-09-2014, 11:32 AM
(12-09-2014 11:25 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 11:18 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  So I've been raped by my dad. I just found out I'm pregnant. I guess I better have the 3 days to "think it over" forced on me because as a woman I'm too stupid to have figured out what I want to do by now?
You can choose to...not think it over and go about your daily life as well. Either way, after 3 days it's still your choice. It's just a formality, sometimes it could be helpful, sometimes it won't be.

Do you not understand how condescending that is? This has absolutely nothing to do with medical reasons or thinking things through. Most abortion places offer counseling before any procedures are done. It is never treated as a spur of the moment thing. This is a powerplay to ban abortions because some people are too stupid to see through it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-09-2014, 11:34 AM
(12-09-2014 11:28 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I can tell you that if a woman is going in for an abortion she has already thought really long and hard about it.

Contrary to popular belief its not an easy decision to make.
I don't think it is an easy decision, nor do I think many go without thinking it through. But I also don't see a 3 days wait as a very significant hurdle, or as an insult.

This is a decision that there is no going back from, a formal 3 day wait period is...a very logical measure. It doesn't cater to the emotional, "I NEED IT DONE NOW" crowd, that's true.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
12-09-2014, 11:36 AM
(12-09-2014 11:32 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 11:25 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  You can choose to...not think it over and go about your daily life as well. Either way, after 3 days it's still your choice. It's just a formality, sometimes it could be helpful, sometimes it won't be.

Do you not understand how condescending that is? This has absolutely nothing to do with medical reasons or thinking things through. Most abortion places offer counseling before any procedures are done. It is never treated as a spur of the moment thing. This is a powerplay to ban abortions because some people are too stupid to see through it.
Nah, I don't see that because if it were applied to me in any non-urgent elective (life changing or not) medical procedure, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Out of all the BS that life throws at you, this is such a small drop.

Plus if this is law, it would be known, and women could plan for it ahead of time.

12-09-2014, 11:43 AM
(12-09-2014 11:36 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 11:32 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Do you not understand how condescending that is? This has absolutely nothing to do with medical reasons or thinking things through. Most abortion places offer counseling before any procedures are done. It is never treated as a spur of the moment thing. This is a powerplay to ban abortions because some people are too stupid to see through it.
Nah, I don't see that because if it were applied to me in any non-urgent elective (life changing or not) medical procedure, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Out of all the BS that life throws at you, this is such a small drop.

Plus if this is law, it would be known, and women could plan for it ahead of time.

So if I were to go about trying to make it impossible for you to say get a drivers license by adding waiting periods and closing MVA locations and making you jump through hoops you would be ok with this as long as it was known in advance?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
12-09-2014, 11:45 AM
(12-09-2014 11:43 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 11:36 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Nah, I don't see that because if it were applied to me in any non-urgent elective (life changing or not) medical procedure, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Out of all the BS that life throws at you, this is such a small drop.

So if I were to go about trying to make it impossible for you to say get a drivers license by adding waiting periods and closing MVA locations and making you jump through hoops you would be ok with this as long as it was known in advance?

Oh I forgot you must have this done by the 6th week after you turn 18 or it is illegal for you to get it done.

[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-09-2014, 11:50 AM
(12-09-2014 11:43 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 11:36 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Nah, I don't see that because if it were applied to me in any non-urgent elective (life changing or not) medical procedure, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Out of all the BS that life throws at you, this is such a small drop.

Try to apply this to a non-urgent medical situation for a valid comparison.
(and for the record, a 3 day wait for a license would not bother me).

And I agree that closing down clinic locations is a serious (separate) problem and does need to be fought.

12-09-2014, 11:54 AM
(12-09-2014 11:50 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 11:43 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So if I were to go about trying to make it impossible for you to say get a drivers license by adding waiting periods and closing MVA locations and making you jump through hoops you would be ok with this as long as it was known in advance?
Try to apply this to a non-urgent medical situation for a valid comparison.
(and for the record, a 3 day wait for a license would not bother me).

And I agree that closing down clinic locations is a serious (separate) problem and does need to be fought.

It is all part of a larger plan and is why EVERY STEP OF IT must be fought. This has no medical relevance and is government sticking their nose into private citizens business. Who the fuck are you to tell anyone what should go on between them and their doctor?

[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Again, I'm not telling anybody to do anything. I'm not saying it should be this way, only that this way has some merit and very little negative impact.

If you want to fight the problem, focus on the stuff that actually hurts people. Focusing on innocuous formalities isn't going to accomplish much (IMO). Focus on them closing clinics. Focus on them limiting the time-frame. A 3 day wait period though? I don't see that fight bringing you anywhere closer to the goal.

You seem to be very driven by emotion in this matter, which is good. But you getting angry with me also isn't accomplishing anything.

12-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Quote:Oh and by the tone of your post, I don't think you understand that I'm pro-abortion (and a little pro choice). I love abortion, and wish people would do it more often. But still, I will respect people's choice to give birth if they choose.

From the tone of your post that was not apparent. However, I do agree that choice works both ways and if she wants to have a kid that's fine too. I'm not getting up at 3 in the morning to change its diaper.

But not everyone is as sympathetic as you and I.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/12/az...get-a-job/

Quote:AZ GOP vice-chair calls for sterilizing poor women: If you want a baby, get a job

P.S. - I live in Arizona and have had these nazi fuckwits up to my eyebrows.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!