Missouri enacts 72 hour abortion waiting period

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2014, 05:23 PM
RE: Missouri enacts 72 hour abortion waiting period
(12-09-2014 04:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 11:34 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I don't think it is an easy decision, nor do I think many go without thinking it through. But I also don't see a 3 days wait as a very significant hurdle, or as an insult.

This is a decision that there is no going back from, a formal 3 day wait period is...a very logical measure. It doesn't cater to the emotional, "I NEED IT DONE NOW" crowd, that's true.

How about we require black people to have a 3 day waiting period before registering to vote?
But that isn't at all a parallel. This measure isn't geared to undermine women (but I can see that most of you are choosing to view it this way), it's geared to force a 3 day wait period for a procedure that only women can have. An accurate parallel would be to say, "How about we require men to have a 3 day waiting period before getting a vasectomy?" To which I would say, "Ok, so what?"

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2014, 05:27 PM
I understand that with most procedures an appointment needs to be set up due to scheduling or availability.
What I have a problem with is the arbitrary 3 days law. (is that a 3 day minimum?) It's not the same as having to wait because they simply can't fit you into the clinic because they're busy.
I also have a problem with what they may want to use those 3 days for.
Why does this law only apply to abortions? Why not other electives such as cosmetic surgery?
To me this waiting period stinks of an underhanded agenda.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
12-09-2014, 05:28 PM
(12-09-2014 05:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  As someone who seriously considered an abortion at one time I have given this more thought than I care to revisit.

As someone who was there when a person close to me made the decision, I know that we had to drive 180 miles round trip for her to be checked out physically - health stuff - vitals, etc. The procedures were being done in other rooms while we where there making sure she was healthy enough to have the procedure. They also did blood work. We were scheduled to come back in two days. We were given a prescription for antibiotics and pain meds to have filled. The antibiotics were to be started the next day. The pain meds were to be brought with us so she would have on the drive back after the procedure.

It was all very professional and medically sound. It did require 360 miles on the road and a couple of half days at the clinic.

It's not something that was unreasonable.

[Image: tumblr_mqd7pf0o5v1suxeeyo1_1280.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-09-2014, 05:28 PM
(12-09-2014 05:23 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 04:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  How about we require black people to have a 3 day waiting period before registering to vote?
But that isn't at all a parallel. This measure isn't geared to undermine women (but I can see that most of you are choosing to view it this way), it's geared to force a 3 day wait period for a procedure that only women can have. An accurate parallel would be to say, "How about we require men to have a 3 day waiting period before getting a vasectomy?" To which I would say, "Ok, so what?"

No it is a direct parallel, it is a group of people trying to force an action.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
12-09-2014, 05:32 PM
(12-09-2014 05:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  As someone who seriously considered an abortion at one time I have given this more thought than I care to revisit.

As someone who was there when a person close to me made the decision, I know that we had to drive 180 miles round trip for her to be checked out physically - health stuff - vitals, etc. The procedures were being done in other rooms while we where there making sure she was healthy enough to have the procedure. They also did blood work. We were scheduled to come back in two days. We were given a prescription for antibiotics and pain meds to have filled. The antibiotics were to be started the next day. The pain meds were to be brought with us so she would have on the drive back after the procedure.

It was all very professional and medically sound. It did require 360 miles on the road and a couple of half days at the clinic.

It's not something that was unreasonable.

[Image: tumblr_mqd7pf0o5v1suxeeyo1_1280.jpg]

What part of what I wrote makes you think that this has never been a problem I have shared?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
12-09-2014, 05:34 PM
(12-09-2014 05:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_mqd7pf0o5v1suxeeyo1_1280.jpg]

What part of what I wrote makes you think that this has never been a problem I have shared?

That story you just told. It is not a problem for you so it is not a problem.

12-09-2014, 05:37 PM
(12-09-2014 05:34 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What part of what I wrote makes you think that this has never been a problem I have shared?

That story you just told. It is not a problem for you so it is not a problem.

You are right - it was a walk in the park. It's great being among the privileged.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

12-09-2014, 05:38 PM
(12-09-2014 05:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:34 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That story you just told. It is not a problem for you so it is not a problem.

You are right - it was a walk in the park. It's great being among the privileged.

It is exactly what you said we did this and it was no hardship. Ignoring people for whom it would be a hardship.

12-09-2014, 05:41 PM
(12-09-2014 05:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You are right - it was a walk in the park. It's great being among the privileged.

It is exactly what you said we did this and it was no hardship. Ignoring people for whom it would be a hardship.

You seem to have missed the part where they checked her out to be sure she was medically sound for the procedure and also took the extra precaution of starting antibiotics as well as doing blood tests - that weren't instant at the time. Perhaps things look differently from atop that high horse.

12-09-2014, 05:44 PM
(12-09-2014 05:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is exactly what you said we did this and it was no hardship. Ignoring people for whom it would be a hardship.

You seem to have missed the part where they checked her out to be sure she was medically sound for the procedure and also took the extra precaution of starting antibiotics as well as doing blood tests - that weren't instant at the time. Perhaps things look differently from atop that high horse.

All of which are medical reasons which I have no problem with. This law is not medically based it is bullying tactics to shame women seeking an abortion.

*Edit: Yeah advocating for poor women is such an elitist position for me to take.

[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post