Missouri enacts 72 hour abortion waiting period

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2014, 05:45 PM
RE: Missouri enacts 72 hour abortion waiting period
(12-09-2014 05:44 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You seem to have missed the part where they checked her out to be sure she was medically sound for the procedure and also took the extra precaution of starting antibiotics as well as doing blood tests - that weren't instant at the time. Perhaps things look differently from atop that high horse.

All of which are medical reasons which I have no problem with. This law is not medically based it is bullying tactics to shame women seeking an abortion.

You meme was uncalled for - you should know me better than that by now.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2014, 05:46 PM
(12-09-2014 05:23 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 04:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  How about we require black people to have a 3 day waiting period before registering to vote?
But that isn't at all a parallel. This measure isn't geared to undermine women (but I can see that most of you are choosing to view it this way), it's geared to force a 3 day wait period for a procedure that only women can have. An accurate parallel would be to say, "How about we require men to have a 3 day waiting period before getting a vasectomy?" To which I would say, "Ok, so what?"

Actually, it is a direct parallel. It is an arbitrary requirement and restriction put on a defined group of people that interferes with their freedom for no justifiable reason.

If the AMA suggests to doctors that for medical reasons there should be a waiting period, fine.
When a bunch of lard-ass republicunts interfere in a medical matter, not fine.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
12-09-2014, 05:48 PM
(12-09-2014 05:44 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You seem to have missed the part where they checked her out to be sure she was medically sound for the procedure and also took the extra precaution of starting antibiotics as well as doing blood tests - that weren't instant at the time. Perhaps things look differently from atop that high horse.

All of which are medical reasons which I have no problem with. This law is not medically based it is bullying tactics to shame women seeking an abortion.

*Edit: Yeah advocating for poor women is such an elitist position for me to take.

So the law only affects poor people? I thought it was religion and shame-based. Pick a side to argue.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

12-09-2014, 05:50 PM
(12-09-2014 05:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:44 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  All of which are medical reasons which I have no problem with. This law is not medically based it is bullying tactics to shame women seeking an abortion.

You meme was uncalled for - you should know me better than that by now.

No it was a textbook example of exactly that. I don't think it was malicious on your part, just as I don't think you are evil or trying to ban abortions or anything like that. Everyone is guilty of personal assumptions from time to time, seeing things as they are for you not how they are for others.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
12-09-2014, 05:52 PM
(12-09-2014 05:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:44 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  All of which are medical reasons which I have no problem with. This law is not medically based it is bullying tactics to shame women seeking an abortion.

*Edit: Yeah advocating for poor women is such an elitist position for me to take.

So the law only affects poor people? I thought it was religion and shame-based. Pick a side to argue.

It affects poor women at an incredibly higher basis. As I explained earlier in the thread, a post you quoted.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
12-09-2014, 05:53 PM
(12-09-2014 05:50 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You meme was uncalled for - you should know me better than that by now.

No it was a textbook example of exactly that. I don't think it was malicious on your part, just as I don't think you are evil or trying to ban abortions or anything like that. Everyone is guilty of personal assumptions from time to time, seeing things as they are for you not how they are for others.

There cannot be a solution that fits every need.

And if you don't think it was hardship at the time, you are wrong. But the required steps made sense. But actions cause consequences and adults need to figure out how to take care of the consequences of their actions. Rich or poor, black or white.

12-09-2014, 05:58 PM
(12-09-2014 05:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:50 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No it was a textbook example of exactly that. I don't think it was malicious on your part, just as I don't think you are evil or trying to ban abortions or anything like that. Everyone is guilty of personal assumptions from time to time, seeing things as they are for you not how they are for others.

And if you don't think it was hardship at the time, you are wrong. But the required steps made sense. But actions cause consequences and adults need to figure out how to take care of the consequences of their actions. Rich or poor, black or white.

Yes but putting undue burden on poor women just because they are poor is wrong. Especially when it is for no reason other than old rich white men want to shame them from having a constitutionally guaranteed procedure.

[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
12-09-2014, 05:59 PM
(12-09-2014 05:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:50 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No it was a textbook example of exactly that. I don't think it was malicious on your part, just as I don't think you are evil or trying to ban abortions or anything like that. Everyone is guilty of personal assumptions from time to time, seeing things as they are for you not how they are for others.

Those required steps were medically necessary for your friend. This arbitrary waiting period is not.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 4 users Like Smercury44's post
12-09-2014, 06:02 PM
(12-09-2014 05:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  As someone who seriously considered an abortion at one time I have given this more thought than I care to revisit.

As someone who was there when a person close to me made the decision, I know that we had to drive 180 miles round trip for her to be checked out physically - health stuff - vitals, etc. The procedures were being done in other rooms while we where there making sure she was healthy enough to have the procedure. They also did blood work. We were scheduled to come back in two days. We were given a prescription for antibiotics and pain meds to have filled. The antibiotics were to be started the next day. The pain meds were to be brought with us so she would have on the drive back after the procedure.

It was all very professional and medically sound. It did require 360 miles on the road and a couple of half days at the clinic.

It's not something that was unreasonable.

Reasonable people can disagree on what's reasonable. There are women who cannot afford 2 180 mile roundtrips. And if they can't afford that, how can they afford to raise a kid? The very same politicians who decry welfare queens are creating and encouraging them through their restrictions on abortion.

BE THE GOD BITCHES! - Bob
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-09-2014, 06:20 PM
(12-09-2014 05:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:23 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  But that isn't at all a parallel. This measure isn't geared to undermine women (but I can see that most of you are choosing to view it this way), it's geared to force a 3 day wait period for a procedure that only women can have. An accurate parallel would be to say, "How about we require men to have a 3 day waiting period before getting a vasectomy?" To which I would say, "Ok, so what?"

Actually, it is a direct parallel. It is an arbitrary requirement and restriction put on a defined group of people that interferes with their freedom for no justifiable reason.

If the AMA suggests to doctors that for medical reasons there should be a waiting period, fine.
When a bunch of lard-ass republicunts interfere in a medical matter, not fine.
I still disagree about it being a direct parallel as voting (or whatever your example was) is not an activity that only black people can participate it. For the most part you are correct about it being an arbitrary requirement (I would view it as a social policy if I lived there). However It doesn't do much as a restriction. The most valid case I've heard against this is the financial one.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.