Missouri enacts 72 hour abortion waiting period

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2014, 06:22 PM
RE: Missouri enacts 72 hour abortion waiting period
I'm out.

We disagree.

All I said to begin with is that I don't think it's unreasonable to wait three days for an invasive medical procedure.

And it wasn't my friend, it was my daughter. I have intimate dealings with having to leave the state I resided in for her to have this procedure done. I am not ignorant of factors involved...from various angles.

If everyone is so concerned then start a fund to help poor women travel if that's it takes. Travel and missing work and meds and the cost of the procedure wasn't money that we just had laying around waiting to be spent. We were barely putting food on the table but sometimes you have to figure it out.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
12-09-2014, 06:23 PM
(12-09-2014 06:20 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Actually, it is a direct parallel. It is an arbitrary requirement and restriction put on a defined group of people that interferes with their freedom for no justifiable reason.

If the AMA suggests to doctors that for medical reasons there should be a waiting period, fine.
When a bunch of lard-ass republicunts interfere in a medical matter, not fine.
I still disagree about it being a direct parallel as voting (or whatever your example was) is not an activity that only black people can participate it. For the most part you are correct about it being an arbitrary requirement (I would view it as a social policy if I lived there). However It doesn't do much as a restriction. The most valid case I've heard against this is the financial one.

So make a valid case for it. There is one against it even if only for certain people.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
12-09-2014, 06:25 PM
(12-09-2014 05:27 PM)pablo Wrote:  I understand that with most procedures an appointment needs to be set up due to scheduling or availability.
What I have a problem with is the arbitrary 3 days law. (is that a 3 day minimum?) It's not the same as having to wait because they simply can't fit you into the clinic because they're busy.
I also have a problem with what they may want to use those 3 days for.
Why does this law only apply to abortions? Why not other electives such as cosmetic surgery?
To me this waiting period stinks of an underhanded agenda.
Of course it does. It's obviously a measure pointed at abortion specifically (even by definition it is such). I think you are absolutely right, with this new standard, they are definitely creating a precedent to make this waiting period apply to other forms of non-urgent medical treatment.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
12-09-2014, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 06:31 PM by Adrianime.)
(12-09-2014 06:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 06:20 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I still disagree about it being a direct parallel as voting (or whatever your example was) is not an activity that only black people can participate it. For the most part you are correct about it being an arbitrary requirement (I would view it as a social policy if I lived there). However It doesn't do much as a restriction. The most valid case I've heard against this is the financial one.

So make a valid case for it. There is one against it even if only for certain people.
I already said earlier what positives I felt this could have.

EDIT: To reiterate my position: I'm not saying this is the best law since sliced bread (or that it is necessary in any way). I'm just saying that it's mostly innocuous and doesn't warrant going all activist over.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
12-09-2014, 06:30 PM
(12-09-2014 06:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I'm out.

We disagree.

All I said to begin with is that I don't think it's unreasonable to wait three days for an invasive medical procedure.

And it wasn't my friend, it was my daughter. I have intimate dealings with having to leave the state I resided in for her to have this procedure done. I am not ignorant of factors involved...from various angles.

If everyone is so concerned then start a fund to help poor women travel if that's it takes. Travel and missing work and meds and the cost of the procedure wasn't money that we just had laying around waiting to be spent. We were barely putting food on the table but sometimes you have to figure it out.

So you don't think it's unreasonable, ok. But is there anything reasonable about it that makes you want to defend it? I would think if you want to defend something, there should be something reasonable about the waiting period. I can't think of anything.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
12-09-2014, 06:30 PM
(12-09-2014 06:26 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 06:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So make a valid case for it. There is one against it even if only for certain people.
I already said earlier what positives I felt this could have.

You made vague noises about it being something you should think over, ignoring the requisite counseling that goes with this. So again for what reason do you think a uniform 3 day waiting period for non medical reasons should be enacted on any medical procedure.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
12-09-2014, 06:32 PM
(12-09-2014 06:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If everyone is so concerned then start a fund to help poor women travel if that's it takes.

Planned Parenthood.

(12-09-2014 06:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Travel and missing work and meds and the cost of the procedure wasn't money that we just had laying around waiting to be spent. We were barely putting food on the table but sometimes you have to figure it out.

You were fortunate enough to have a car.

#sigh
12-09-2014, 06:36 PM
(12-09-2014 06:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 06:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If everyone is so concerned then start a fund to help poor women travel if that's it takes.

Planned Parenthood.

(12-09-2014 06:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Travel and missing work and meds and the cost of the procedure wasn't money that we just had laying around waiting to be spent. We were barely putting food on the table but sometimes you have to figure it out.

Yeah, we were real lucky.

Just like when the decision faced me and I had nothing.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
12-09-2014, 06:38 PM
(12-09-2014 06:25 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 05:27 PM)pablo Wrote:  To me this waiting period stinks of an underhanded agenda.
Of course it does. It's obviously a measure pointed at abortion specifically (even by definition it is such). I think you are absolutely right, with this new standard, they are definitely creating a precedent to make this waiting period apply to other forms of non-urgent medical treatment.

Yeah, like the lard-ass Republicunts (thanks Chas!) give a shit about that.

#sigh
12-09-2014, 06:43 PM
(12-09-2014 06:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 06:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Planned Parenthood.

Yeah, we were real lucky.

Just like when the decision faced me and I had nothing.

This is very much as personal to me as it is to you. Perhaps more so.

#sigh