RE: Misunderstanding versus intentionally not getting it
[Image: R9Czx7F.png]

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-08-2015, 08:22 AM
These - words in red - could be genuine thoughts of one speaking them. Who knows if someone who speak "black lives matter" does not think that they matter more?

But if it's indeed misunderstanding there could be many reasons I think, personal bias being one of them. Tone too would matter also the context. These words also could imply certain political leanings so it might be about not wanting to change one opinion about something; it is not best comparision but it brings faith to my mind - one is not heraring what you say but what one fear, i.e. you say "there is no proof for afterlife" is heard as "you will never see your loved ones again and all that awaits you is rotting in grave".

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
26-08-2015, 10:20 AM
(26-08-2015 08:15 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  [Image: R9Czx7F.png]

You took that out of context. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
26-08-2015, 10:23 AM
(26-08-2015 10:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  You took that out of context. Angry

I'll take you out of context! Evil_monster

[Image: 1XLMQgy.gif]

living word
26-08-2015, 05:14 PM
Now now, settle children.
26-08-2015, 05:39 PM
(26-08-2015 05:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Now now, settle children.

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: MeekPeskyCockroach.gif]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
26-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Some can't help it, and they never will get it.
26-08-2015, 06:14 PM
(26-08-2015 08:22 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  These - words in red - could be genuine thoughts of one speaking them. Who knows if someone who speak "black lives matter" does not think that they matter more?

But if it's indeed misunderstanding there could be many reasons I think, personal bias being one of them. Tone too would matter also the context. These words also could imply certain political leanings so it might be about not wanting to change one opinion about something; it is not best comparision but it brings faith to my mind - one is not heraring what you say but what one fear, i.e. you say "there is no proof for afterlife" is heard as "you will never see your loved ones again and all that awaits you is rotting in grave".

Miscommunication is a problem we all encounter, & I find myself frustrated when even factual statements like, "there is no proof of an afterlife, " are misconstrued to mean something I didn't actually say. Selecting the correct tone, & vocabulary range, for your audience can help a great deal, but it's unlikely all possible precautions will result in every person understanding. "You can't please everyone," comes to mind. Unfortunately I do think personal bias, against the person making the statement, will play quite a roll in such cases, & education alone is not enough, for some at least, to combat bias.

If only there was some kind of 'fix all' for the communication problems people around the world experience.... guess I could try.....

*kneels*
*prays*
Hey, g man. I was just wondering: could we get that tower back? You know, the one you smashed out of wisdom, & compassion for all humankind.

........g man?

Crickets

Frusty

I tried. Smartass
27-08-2015, 02:54 AM
(26-08-2015 06:14 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  Miscommunication is a problem we all encounter, & I find myself frustrated when even factual statements like, "there is no proof of an afterlife, " are misconstrued to mean something I didn't actually say.

It may not be a case of miscommunication but of entirelly different worldview. When you're uttering such statement to someone who believes in afterlife there is no wonder that he could hear "you will never again see your departed loved ones". To be fair it means just that but I would say problem lies not in the communication but in a way in which believers see the world.

(26-08-2015 06:14 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  Selecting the correct tone, & vocabulary range, for your audience can help a great deal, but it's unlikely all possible precautions will result in every person understanding.

Sure.

(26-08-2015 06:14 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  "You can't please everyone," comes to mind. Unfortunately I do think personal bias, against the person making the statement, will play quite a roll in such cases, & education alone is not enough, for some at least, to combat bias.

Sure but also person who is making statement could be biassed. It works both ways .

I would say it's not case of misunderstanding but differing worldviews, backgrounds, etc. You're saying one thing but person listening to you could hear something different and from that person point of view his interpretation could be valid.
So you're not misunderstood but rather understood in context of someone else life experience and biases.

Hope it makes sense.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.