Misunderstandings About Buddhism (Compassion4Life intro)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2013, 10:25 PM
RE: Misunderstandings About Buddhism (Compassion4Life intro)
(23-12-2013 10:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 10:02 PM)Compassion4Life Wrote:  You can believe in reincarnation and still be a student of the teachings of the Buddha, so long as that belief does not result in fear. If it gives you comfort, then there is no harm in it because it does not hinder your search for happiness and compassion.

That belief feels like a consequence of fear. It seems sufficient to infer fear. Any comfort found feels delusional and ultimately detrimental. ... Just drunk Girly weighing in with my $0.02. ... I'm liking the CompassionateOne.

Fuckin drunk Girly. Salud, motherfucker!

I agree though. I haven't studied it so I might be off, but from what I know the belief in reincarnation is a belief that you may come back as a "lesser" being if you are not good enough in this life. Sounds like consequence based fear mongering to me. Typical religion. I like the attitude of Buddhism I'm hearing here, reincarnation doesn't seem to fit in. Consider

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2013, 10:31 PM
(23-12-2013 10:09 PM)Foxen Wrote:  I have attempted to make a compromise with Buddhism, but it is not possible.

Buddhism essentially states, this is water, but it is not water, which is absolutely illogical as far as I am concerned.

Bah, there's a shitload of different logics out there. They're all shifty and admit entirely different propositions and premises. Dodgy

I read that as this is "This is H2O, but it is not water, water is much much more than that."

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
23-12-2013, 10:31 PM
(23-12-2013 10:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 10:02 PM)Compassion4Life Wrote:  You can believe in reincarnation and still be a student of the teachings of the Buddha, so long as that belief does not result in fear. If it gives you comfort, then there is no harm in it because it does not hinder your search for happiness and compassion.

That belief feels like a consequence of fear. It seems sufficient to infer fear. Any comfort found feels delusional and ultimately detrimental. ... Just drunk Girly weighing in with my $0.02. ... I'm liking the CompassionateOne.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect people who state their honest feelings.
[+] 1 user Likes Compassion4Life's post
23-12-2013, 10:35 PM
I love buddhism! It has helped me with a lot of my world view and helped me have new perspective on situations that have made me happier. I loved discovering the point of view I learned, including the points made in the OP. Very wise way of life!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
23-12-2013, 10:52 PM
(23-12-2013 10:25 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Fuckin drunk Girly. Salud, motherfucker!

I agree though. I haven't studied it so I might be off, but from what I know the belief in reincarnation is a belief that you may come back as a "lesser" being if you are not good enough in this life. Sounds like consequence based fear mongering to me. Typical religion. I like the attitude of Buddhism I'm hearing here, reincarnation doesn't seem to fit in. Consider

I think the concept of reincarnation more closely matches my concept of recycling than some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-12-2013, 07:58 AM
(23-12-2013 10:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 10:25 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Fuckin drunk Girly. Salud, motherfucker!

I think the concept of reincarnation more closely matches my concept of recycling than some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity.

Yabut, reincarnation would have to include that mechanism. So, same bullshit.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-12-2013, 08:11 AM
(23-12-2013 02:48 PM)kim Wrote:  I moved this to the intro forum because technically, it is your first thread and it does tell a bit about you, Compassion4Life.

Why you gotta mess with stuff? Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
24-12-2013, 09:18 AM
(24-12-2013 07:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 10:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think the concept of reincarnation more closely matches my concept of recycling than some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity.

Yabut, reincarnation would have to include that mechanism. So, same bullshit.Drinking Beverage

No it doesn't.

The body gets recycled, no? That includes the brain and memories and such.

IF there is something else, like some sort of energy we haven't figured out how to measure yet, it would get recycled too, like everything else on earth.

Doesn't mean it has a consciousness, doesn't mean it stays as one unit, just means it ends up contributing to something else.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-12-2013, 09:38 AM
(24-12-2013 09:18 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 07:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, reincarnation would have to include that mechanism. So, same bullshit.Drinking Beverage

No it doesn't.

The body gets recycled, no? That includes the brain and memories and such.

IF there is something else, like some sort of energy we haven't figured out how to measure yet, it would get recycled too, like everything else on earth.

Doesn't mean it has a consciousness, doesn't mean it stays as one unit, just means it ends up contributing to something else.

That's not reincarnation, that's recycling.
The memories can't be recycled unless there is a mechanism for post-mortem preservation. Otherwise, they die with the brain.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-12-2013, 11:08 AM
(24-12-2013 09:41 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  ...
I am not Buddhist, but I have never met a single Buddhist who claims anything you said about Buddhism to be true.

Brian speaks truth.

The Buddhists around this neck of the woods split roughly into two camps.

Actually, it's more than that if one looks at the minutia, as like language, there are variations as you more around the region... kinda like genetic drift.

As a colleague of mine tried to explain it to me once:

There are those who go with the philosophy: following the teachings and the path to ... erm... wherever but the focus is on the betterment of themselves in the here and now.

And there are those who go more for the icons and idols (the sale of which is big business) but it's still not a deity thing... more about e.g. visiting a temple to grab a quiet moment for introspection / for luck / to 'pray' for their loved ones / burn a few smelly sticks. These are the ones who are most likely to turn up at the Buddha-events; there are a few famous (if you're into that kinda thing) Buddhas who do tours around the region (probably like a book signing tour) and they have their devotees.

IMO, from observation, the former stance (Buddhism as a philosophy / way of life) seems more prevalent amongst the more highly educated in Singapore and the latter is a more likely behaviour witnessed from the Thai, Chinese and Vietnamese (less wealthy / formally educated) friends I have.

Many people like the tradition and ceremony thing. I'm tempted to say that this is just human nature but of course, many of us couldn't give a shit about rituals and rites of passage... but I see it around me and it appears to give comfort so... meh!