Misunderstandings About Buddhism (Compassion4Life intro)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2013, 01:20 PM
RE: Misunderstandings About Buddhism (Compassion4Life intro)
(23-12-2013 10:25 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 10:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That belief feels like a consequence of fear. It seems sufficient to infer fear. Any comfort found feels delusional and ultimately detrimental. ... Just drunk Girly weighing in with my $0.02. ... I'm liking the CompassionateOne.

Fuckin drunk Girly. Salud, motherfucker!

I agree though. I haven't studied it so I might be off, but from what I know the belief in reincarnation is a belief that you may come back as a "lesser" being if you are not good enough in this life. Sounds like consequence based fear mongering to me. Typical religion. I like the attitude of Buddhism I'm hearing here, reincarnation doesn't seem to fit in. Consider

Reincarnation-belief predated the Buddha by a long shot, and was prevalent in many of the places that he traveled to. It was also one of the main control tools used by the Brahmins to keep the masses in check -- remember that this is wrapped up part-and-parcel with the Indian caste system.

But think about it -- if some alien showed up from outer space and took a look at this forum and saw that we talk a great deal about xtianity, gods and other forms of supernaturalism, would it be correct in assuming that we are believers supernaturalism, or xtians? The same thing is going on with these assumptions about the Buddha's own teachings being based in, or wrapped up with, reincarnation belief.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2013, 01:23 PM
(23-12-2013 10:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 10:25 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Fuckin drunk Girly. Salud, motherfucker!

I agree though. I haven't studied it so I might be off, but from what I know the belief in reincarnation is a belief that you may come back as a "lesser" being if you are not good enough in this life. Sounds like consequence based fear mongering to me. Typical religion. I like the attitude of Buddhism I'm hearing here, reincarnation doesn't seem to fit in. Consider

I think the concept of reincarnation more closely matches my concept of recycling than some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity.

There are many Buddhists who view vestigial reincarnation-belief in "Buddhist teachings" as just that -- a "circle-of-life" sort of thing. It's an easy way to dismiss what they see as clearly superstitious woo that gets in the way of their interest in what really are (and most don't realize) the Buddha's actual non-woo teachings.

24-12-2013, 01:34 PM
(24-12-2013 01:14 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  ... "the Four Solaces":

Or in other words... "Don't be a dick! ... and the afterlife, if there is one, will take care of itself".

Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
24-12-2013, 01:54 PM
(24-12-2013 12:14 PM)bemore Wrote:  From my own experience of stopping in a Buddhist retreat I see it as a religion.

Oh, it very definitely is a religion.

Quote:Karma and reincarnation is nothing but judgement,

....yes, though it "works" because it is about judging oneself and one's own actions, rather than those of others.

Quote:wrapped into that is Vegetarianism. That you should not eat an animal because in a previous life it may have been a relative or a friend (plants are not included in this framework even though they too are alive)

That's later Mahayanist woo. The Buddha was not a vegetarian, nor did he advocate vegetarianism. His death was attributed to food poisoning from eating tainted meat.

Quote:If you are carrying an alms bowl (are begging for food) and somebody places meat into it you are allowed to consume it. If somebody cooks you meat for a meal you are allowed to accept it so you don't "offend" your host.

Again, later woo intended to "justify" the fact that the Buddha and his students ate meat (and they did in fact eat what was given them, as part of the extant tradition of a "mendicant monk" lifestyle).

Quote:Buddhism has hypocritical rules just like all other religions.

I don't think you have researched this sufficiently to make such a broad statement.

Quote:If it isnt a religion.... then pay your tax.

Who said it wasn't? Strawman much?

24-12-2013, 02:16 PM
(24-12-2013 01:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 01:14 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  ... "the Four Solaces":

Or in other words... "Don't be a dick! ... and the afterlife, if there is one, will take care of itself".

Thumbsup

I am SOOOOO stealing that.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
24-12-2013, 02:23 PM
(24-12-2013 01:07 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 12:12 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I still don't see the harm in it. So, some people like the tradition and ceremony thing, no big deal. We have traditions and ceremonies in non-religious things too. Look at things like the national anthem, or flying a flag at half mast when a famous figurehead dies. Is it really any different? And don't get me started on the ridiculous superstitions of athletes.

There are cultural differences all over the world. What about how some countries think it's rude to burp at the dinner table and others think it compliments the chef? Who is to say who is right and who is wrong in that situation?

Yeah, there are Buddhists that do book signing tours and all that. So did Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins. Don't musicians and other famous people have people that follow them everywhere? Does that make what they do a religion?

I just don't see what the harm is in people going to hear a talk given by the Dalai Lama about having love, compassion, tolerance, and understanding for other living things. Does the fact that the Dalai Lama is a Buddhist figurehead make his points moot, while if it was merely some average joe saying it, then it would be acceptable?

Erm, mine was an explanatory post (coming from a predominantly Buddhist region of the world) not an argumentative one.

Your tone seems to be challenging what I said but the words seem to be agreeing.

Me is confused.

Oh! and I said Buddhas not Buddhists do tours, like celebs. It wasn't a typo.

I was confused by your post as well, as it opened up with "Brian speaks truth". But the content of your post seemed to me to indicate that you might have meant that "WindiCityJazz speaks truth"...? Can you clarify?

24-12-2013, 02:35 PM
(24-12-2013 02:23 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 01:07 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Erm, mine was an explanatory post (coming from a predominantly Buddhist region of the world) not an argumentative one.

Your tone seems to be challenging what I said but the words seem to be agreeing.

Me is confused.

Oh! and I said Buddhas not Buddhists do tours, like celebs. It wasn't a typo.

I was confused by your post as well, as it opened up with "Brian speaks truth". But the content of your post seemed to me to indicate that you might have meant that "WindiCityJazz speaks truth"...? Can you clarify?

I was confused by your post for the same reasons as Taqiyya Mockingbird. I did not mean to come across as having an angry tone.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
24-12-2013, 03:25 PM
(24-12-2013 02:35 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 02:23 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I was confused by your post as well, as it opened up with "Brian speaks truth". But the content of your post seemed to me to indicate that you might have meant that "WindiCityJazz speaks truth"...? Can you clarify?

I was confused by your post for the same reasons as Taqiyya Mockingbird. I did not mean to come across as having an angry tone.

Oh yeah! Sorry to confuse.

I missed the 'some' i.e. some truth.

I agree with Taq's critique in post #36 but I was meaning that Buddhism in its currently practiced form over here has plenty of woo for some i.e. the less educated young ladies who frequent my humble abode (the more educated are either pure atheists or Buddhist atheists).

I hope that makes more sense.

24-12-2013, 03:49 PM
(24-12-2013 03:25 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 02:35 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I was confused by your post for the same reasons as Taqiyya Mockingbird. I did not mean to come across as having an angry tone.

Oh yeah! Sorry to confuse.

I missed the 'some' i.e. some truth.

I agree with Taq's critique in post #36 but I was meaning that Buddhism in its currently practiced form over here has plenty of woo for some i.e. the less educated young ladies who frequent my humble abode (the more educated are either pure atheists or Buddhist atheists).

I hope that makes more sense.

Yes, that makes much more sense. Thank you for clarifying. Smile

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
24-12-2013, 05:05 PM
(24-12-2013 01:14 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  "The disciple of the Noble Ones, Kalamas, who has such a hate-free mind, such a malice-free mind, such an undefiled mind, and such a purified mind, is one by whom, here and now, these four solaces are found."[/i]

And you fuckers may now proceed to suck my little dick. I am The Christ. I am the Buddha. I live The Word. ... So fucking blow me bitches. Banana_zorro

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.