Misuse of the No True Scotsman Fallacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2015, 03:48 PM
RE: Misuse of the No True Scotsman Fallacy
Oh, Q-ball, you have had a hair across your ass about this for months.

Months ago, you committed the most obvious and glaring NTS fallacy when you responded to someone posting that some Christians do (whatever it was) with the clear statement that no true Christian does that.

You have been denying it ever since when it was and is obvious to everyone here that you did. You've shown a lack of understanding of what comprises the NTS fallacy, have claimed that your statement was not fallacious because you know what a true Christian is, and have now gone to the extremely stupid length of trying to re-define it.

Your ignorance and arrogance are on full display for all here to see. Well done. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like Chas's post
20-08-2015, 03:51 PM
(20-08-2015 11:15 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 07:06 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  All Scottish people were born in Scotland? Let's swap out America for that and see what happens: All Americans were born in America. Um, no.

Very well. I appreciate your insight. True Scotsmen have Scottish citizenship. True Christians have heavenly citizenship.

Thanks.

So, Christians inhabit heaven? And you have proof of this?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-08-2015, 04:14 PM
(20-08-2015 11:14 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 09:13 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  To follow, to imitate, to pursue, to obey; these are all very ambiguous actions. This information does not allow one to discern true christians from non-true christians.

How is it ambiguous?

All those terms are often used heavily for their figurative connotations, thus they are ambiguous. You are not literally following Jesus, who is long dead, so you are invoking the figurative usage here; you are 'following', or advocating for, his principles, or as you said, tenets. But these tenets are necessarily your interpretation of what his principles are, since he's not able to verify himself. Other people who also identify as christians would interpret different tenets, contradictory ones even; thus they say you are not a true christian, and you say they aren't.

So saying the way to discern a true christian from a non-true christian is to observe whether they're actually following the tenets of christ is meaningless, since we don't know objectively what these tenets are, and even if you define them; how do we know your interpretation is correct? We can't.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Gilgamesh's post
20-08-2015, 06:28 PM
(20-08-2015 01:59 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  No True Christian talks meaningfully about logical fallacies.

Bowing

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
20-08-2015, 08:16 PM
(20-08-2015 06:28 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 01:59 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  No True Christian talks meaningfully about logical fallacies.

Bowing

Let's hope he gets the point. Smile
20-08-2015, 09:14 PM
You're committing the NTS fallacy in an attempt to define the NTS fallacy to what you think best serves your agenda.

The No True Fallacy fallacy?
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
20-08-2015, 09:18 PM
(20-08-2015 08:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
Quote:As you by now well know and are deliberately misrepresenting because you remain a fundamentally dishonest person who will engage in any level of trickery, deceit, calumny, or dissembling that you can to advance your self-appointed task of apologetic evangelism...

Wow. I'm uncertain how you arrived at that conclusion. It is illogical for the following reasons:

1. I get a lot more converts and fruit off the TTA forums.

Am I the only one who caught this fucking priceless gem?
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
20-08-2015, 09:22 PM
(20-08-2015 09:18 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 08:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Wow. I'm uncertain how you arrived at that conclusion. It is illogical for the following reasons:

1. I get a lot more converts and fruit off the TTA forums.

Am I the only one who caught this fucking priceless gem?

I don't know what the hell it meant when I read it... I thought he was being some sort of, word of the week braggart, proclaiming to get converts from his efforts on this forum or something.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-08-2015, 10:55 AM
(20-08-2015 11:15 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  True Christians have heavenly citizenship.

Thanks.

Heavenly citizenship, eh? Why are they so determined to remain expatriates, then?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
21-08-2015, 12:11 PM
(20-08-2015 11:15 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  True Christians have heavenly citizenship.

Thanks.

Nice story bro.
Needs some vampires and maybe a talking sloth. Then you'll ready for Hollywood.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.