Misuse of the No True Scotsman Fallacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2015, 12:50 PM
RE: Misuse of the No True Scotsman Fallacy
(20-08-2015 04:14 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 11:14 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  How is it ambiguous?

All those terms are often used heavily for their figurative connotations, thus they are ambiguous. You are not literally following Jesus, who is long dead, so you are invoking the figurative usage here; you are 'following', or advocating for, his principles, or as you said, tenets. But these tenets are necessarily your interpretation of what his principles are, since he's not able to verify himself. Other people who also identify as christians would interpret different tenets, contradictory ones even; thus they say you are not a true christian, and you say they aren't.

So saying the way to discern a true christian from a non-true christian is to observe whether they're actually following the tenets of christ is meaningless, since we don't know objectively what these tenets are, and even if you define them; how do we know your interpretation is correct? We can't.

You disagree that the difference between a follower of X and a non-follower of X is that the follower is following the words/teaching/interpretations/whatever as best they can? Since a Christian is a follower of Christ, my honest testimony to you is I follow Him as best I can. I'm also quite sure that you are not a follower of Christ. I'm also sure that "truth in following" is different than "following" as the people who followed Charles Manson to commit horrific rapes and murders weren't being "true" or "moral" or "truthful".

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2015, 12:53 PM
(20-08-2015 09:22 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 09:18 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Am I the only one who caught this fucking priceless gem?

I don't know what the hell it meant when I read it... I thought he was being some sort of, word of the week braggart, proclaiming to get converts from his efforts on this forum or something.

No, rather I meant in my ever-pithy Q way that I don't need to come here to lie and cheat to try and trick people into becoming Christians. I get other people pointed to Christ more effectively offline by honest witnessing, apologetics and so forth. The assumption that I'm here to proselytize is correct. The assumption that I'm desperate to proselytize at TTA via any means, including lying, is incorrect. And a little over-flattering of atheists. Not even God loves atheists so much that He has commanded His followers to lie to win them over, despite BB's occasional sourcing of a comment from some wacky job commentator circa 200 AD.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
26-08-2015, 12:56 PM
(21-08-2015 02:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 09:13 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  To follow, to imitate, to pursue, to obey; these are all very ambiguous actions. This information does not allow one to discern true christians from non-true christians.

You're right. There are Christian atheists who try to do just that. But Q will probably say they're not true Christians.

GM,

How do you know I will probably say they are not true unless you clearly understand my definition of who IS true. Good on ya' mate!

PS. Thanks for upholding my definition with your objection!

26-08-2015, 12:57 PM
(26-08-2015 12:47 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Did I say that? I said they hold heavenly citizenship.

Ah, wonderful. Then all they have to do is present their passport.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
26-08-2015, 12:57 PM
(21-08-2015 02:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-08-2015 02:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You're right. There are Christian atheists who try to do just that. But Q will probably say they're not true Christians.

Well, fuck. Even I'd say they're not True Christians™. Dodgy

But if there were a heaven, they'd get there ahead of Q and his ilk. Big Grin

So, you are saying Christian atheists are more so TRUE CHRISTIANS than I?

Thanks for affirming my ability to create valid definitions by creating one for yourself to use here at TTA! "A Christian atheist is more the true Christian than Q." GOOD JOB!

26-08-2015, 12:58 PM
(21-08-2015 04:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 04:14 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  All those terms are often used heavily for their figurative connotations, thus they are ambiguous. You are not literally following Jesus, who is long dead, so you are invoking the figurative usage here; you are 'following', or advocating for, his principles, or as you said, tenets. But these tenets are necessarily your interpretation of what his principles are, since he's not able to verify himself. Other people who also identify as christians would interpret different tenets, contradictory ones even; thus they say you are not a true christian, and you say they aren't.

So saying the way to discern a true christian from a non-true christian is to observe whether they're actually following the tenets of christ is meaningless, since we don't know objectively what these tenets are, and even if you define them; how do we know your interpretation is correct? We can't.

I am "liking" this post mainly because you spelled "tenets" correctly. Nobody ever does that.

Bless you, my child! I'm going to go back and like YOUR post liking mine!

26-08-2015, 01:01 PM
(26-08-2015 12:58 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(21-08-2015 04:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I am "liking" this post mainly because you spelled "tenets" correctly. Nobody ever does that.

Bless you, my child! I'm going to go back and like YOUR post liking mine!

What??? I don't remember ever "liking" one of your posts. The post I was referring to was by Gilgamesh.
Find all posts by this user
26-08-2015, 01:02 PM
(21-08-2015 09:58 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 08:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Wow. I'm uncertain how you arrived at that conclusion.
Because you have a history of all those things on this forum. A well known history Q.

(20-08-2015 08:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I get a lot more converts and fruit off the TTA forums.
Of course you would get more people willing to listen to your inane bullshit away from the place where everyone one knows your bullshit is bullshit, why it's bullshit, and can successfully argue against your bullshit and demonstrate that it is in fact bullshit.
Are we supposed to be impressed when you go sit at the kiddy table of this subject and get the, competitively, uneducated people to play with what few crayons you haven't eaten yet?

(20-08-2015 08:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  If I wanted to "lure 'em in with tricks" what in the Sam Hill would I be doing on an atheist forum?!
Feeding your persecution complex? Feeding your, false, superiority complex? Being a anonymous cunt for the lulz? Take your pick fucko but the fact is you have a known history of both moral and intellectual dishonesty.

(20-08-2015 08:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  2. I show the gospel and love of Jesus to do so. There's no need to resort to trickery with lost persons.
And yet that is exactly what you try to do here on a regular basis.

(20-08-2015 08:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  3. You don't know me, at all.
Oh please.Rolleyes
Several of us have been able to predict your answers, your tone, and EXACTLY what parts of an argument your going to fail to grasp. It's kind of an open and running joke for a lot of us. I knew just be reading the title of this thread that you would bitch about us accusing you of repeatedly committing the NTS fallacy in regards to Christians and that in your cry baby whining you would ONCE AGAIN prove you don't even understand what does and does not constitute a NTS Fallacy. Which you fucking did naturally.
We know you plenty good enough to view you as the joke you are. We don't need to know you any better. However that said no one here needs to know ANYTHING about you personally to know you are a dishonest, evasive, dodgy fuck we just need to read your post history.Drinking Beverage

(20-08-2015 08:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ... I respond with patience, love and logic to a bunch of TTAtheists who constantly curse and mock me?
You have a very selective memory because there have been many times you have been just a down right dishonest cunt in response to many people. You have a history of being dishonest and fallacious and repeating arguments to new people that have been repeatedly debunked by other people in the past. Your self righteous fake piety and imaginary humility is one of the MANY reasons you get mocked shit head.
You get mocked because you deserve to be mocked and because your superstitious nonsense is deserving of mockery and only mockery.

(20-08-2015 08:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Because I'll sit and write a 600-word post describing my position with care and patience to someone who hits me with a thoughtless one sentence, nasty post? Really?
No one cares how patiently or carefully you write your bullshit we care that you continue to regurgitate bullshit that has been demonstrated to you to be false over and over. You want less nasty responses than stop being so fucking dishonest. A good start would be to stop pretending as if you are not dishonest on this forum.

(20-08-2015 08:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You couldn't possibly be this angry because I was excited to post a careful, thoughtful post on a logical fallacy, one that is a mere informal fallacy at that. I mean, could you?
If anyone is angry, which I doubt they are you are simply over estimating your impact on this forum again, it's because this very topic has been brought up before and has been debunked before and regurgitated by you before and you will likely do it again. People are annoyed because your condescending Dunning-Kruger ass tried to give us a lessen in Logical fallacies while demonstrating that YOU don't even understand why what you are doing IS the logical fallacy you are bitching about.

You are a deaf person trying to explain what music sounds like to musicians and all you accomplish is to show how fuckin' inept you are.

(20-08-2015 08:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Is that the "peace that passes understanding" that one gets from deconversion? I'd want no part of that.
Is your dishonesty and stupidity a result of your religion or is your religion a result of your dishonesty and stupidity. None of us want any part of either. If you want no part of it you know where the door is chucklefuck feel free to leave and stop wasting our time with your " I'm gonna go to a place where everyone knows and can show why I am wrong, repeat the same debunked arguments over and over and then play the victim when ever someone treats my childish ass like a child" bullshit.
Either fuck off from the place or stop cry baby whining about how your dumb ass is treated. No one forces you to be here. Pick one.

(20-08-2015 08:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I implied that atheists have no right to the title and must choose either agnosticism or logical consistency regarding logical fallacies, could you?
And your fucking wrong again. Whats worse is that the relationship between Atheism, Theism, Gnosticism, and Agnosticism has been explained to you multiple times and I know this because I have fucking done it myself, and here you are ...again....pretending like it has not been explained to you you dishonest asshole. Proving everything I said above.....again.

(20-08-2015 08:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ...But I forgive you.
You are the one in the wrong so take your condescending "forgiveness" and go fuck yourself.

Quote:Are we supposed to be impressed when you go sit at the kiddy table of this subject and get the, competitively, uneducated people to play with what few crayons you haven't eaten yet?

An atheist actually admitted he thinks he's smarter than all the people who believe in God and/or are atheists who are more open to my claims than the atheists at TTA. Well, that is kind of arrogant. Sorry, but it is arrogant of you indeed. Plus, you gave me something to talk about at my next prayer meeting. "Hey, everyone, so this atheist on the forum says everyone who listens to us about the gospel including millions of people worldwide are not the superior intellect that he is..."

Quote:You get mocked because you deserve to be mocked and because your superstitious nonsense is deserving of mockery and only mockery.

I guess that's why so many people replied for so many pages to a couple of posts about an informal logical fallacy I commented on...

26-08-2015, 01:04 PM
(21-08-2015 10:37 PM)claywise Wrote:  Your monthly reminder: Q Cunt is Qunt. Ignore him. Push him down whenever you see him on the playground.

He also has no job, no visible means of support and has too much time on his hands.

But not enough smarts to make good use of it.

Q Cunt is Qunt!

Your appeals are working. Every single TTA person now has me on ignore. I'm glad you do not waste more than ten days or so per month to appear on a thread and give us a "monthly" reminder.

PS. I'm so glad you follow your own advice, telling OTHERS to ignore me while specifically visiting a post where I'm the OP to post a response to my post!

26-08-2015, 01:06 PM
(26-08-2015 12:35 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 12:32 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I guess if that is true, some atheists would be able to define "god". Please do so now, right here, on this thread.

Thanks!

You really don't seem to understand how this works.

Ignosticism and atheism are not exclusive positions.

If you say so, but you wouldn't be the first person to attempt to hold contradictory positions simultaneously.

PS. I'm less frustrated by the TTA members' atheism and others' ignosticism then by your obvious misotheism.