Misuse of the No True Scotsman Fallacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2015, 01:06 PM
RE: Misuse of the No True Scotsman Fallacy
(26-08-2015 12:32 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 11:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  "The tenets of atheism?" Seriously? Here's the entire list:
  • Not having a belief in any gods.

I guess if that is true, some atheists would be able to define "god". Please do so now, right here, on this thread.

Thanks!

We don't believe any of the gods so far defined by theists due to lack of evidence and/or logical contradictions.

It is not up to us to define your claims. You really don't understand how this works. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2015, 01:07 PM
(26-08-2015 12:46 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 12:39 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Show me how incoherent I am by coming up with an acceptable definition of god right now! Ready... set... go!

That really isn't how this works.

If someone asks you if you believe in a schmurple, but does not supply a coherent definition of the term, then you are quite capable of saying that you lack belief in schmurples, and it is not up to you to tell them what a schmurple is.

That must be convenient... except on Judgment Day (Jesus's day, not The Terminator's day).

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
26-08-2015, 01:08 PM
(26-08-2015 12:57 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 12:47 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Did I say that? I said they hold heavenly citizenship.

Ah, wonderful. Then all they have to do is present their passport.

Mine is stamped with the blood of Christ. Remember, and I am saying this in love, not anger, one may be stopped at the border with an invalid passport! The analogy is apt.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
26-08-2015, 01:09 PM
(26-08-2015 01:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 12:32 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I guess if that is true, some atheists would be able to define "god". Please do so now, right here, on this thread.

Thanks!

We don't believe any of the gods so far defined by theists due to lack of evidence and/or logical contradictions.

It is not up to us to define your claims. You really don't understand how this works. Facepalm

So, you are unable to define God or unwilling to define God, which?

PS. I'm happy to help you in your ignorance and/or unwillingness, and will keep attempting to help us both come up with working definitions. Because that's how "this" works. Facepalm

26-08-2015, 01:09 PM
(26-08-2015 12:46 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 03:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, Q-ball, you have had a hair across your ass about this for months.

Months ago, you committed the most obvious and glaring NTS fallacy when you responded to someone posting that some Christians do (whatever it was) with the clear statement that no true Christian does that.

You have been denying it ever since when it was and is obvious to everyone here that you did. You've shown a lack of understanding of what comprises the NTS fallacy, have claimed that your statement was not fallacious because you know what a true Christian is, and have now gone to the extremely stupid length of trying to re-define it.

Your ignorance and arrogance are on full display for all here to see. Well done. Thumbsup

Chas, are you a true Christian or truly a Christian? And if you know why you are not a Christian, on what basis can you affirm the negative if no one and nothing can define the positive affirmation?

I am not a Christian because I don't believe their theological claims. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-08-2015, 01:10 PM
(26-08-2015 01:09 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 01:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  We don't believe any of the gods so far defined by theists due to lack of evidence and/or logical contradictions.

So, you are unable to define God or unwilling to define God, which?

PS. I'm happy to help you in your ignorance and/or unwillingness, and will keep attempting to help us both come up with working definitions. Because that's how "this" works. Facepalm

PPS. On my browser, your facepalm and mine slap their faces simultaneously, which reminds me of the schoolyard "I'm rubber, you're glue" taunt.

PPPS. Our two facepalms cancel each other out. Now we can be friends again!

26-08-2015, 01:11 PM
(26-08-2015 01:07 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 12:46 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  That really isn't how this works.

If someone asks you if you believe in a schmurple, but does not supply a coherent definition of the term, then you are quite capable of saying that you lack belief in schmurples, and it is not up to you to tell them what a schmurple is.

That must be convenient... except on Judgment Day (Jesus's day, not The Terminator's day).

Ah, yes. The old "I don't have a response to that so here's a red herring about the coming apocalypse so that no one comments about how I completely failed to respond to the actual point raised" tactic. Rather like Grandpappy's rifle for theistic posters here; old, well-loved, and utterly useless.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
26-08-2015, 01:11 PM
(26-08-2015 01:08 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 12:57 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Ah, wonderful. Then all they have to do is present their passport.

Mine is stamped with the blood of Christ.

Ah. Easily identifiable, then.

So where is it?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
26-08-2015, 01:15 PM
(26-08-2015 01:08 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 12:57 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Ah, wonderful. Then all they have to do is present their passport.

Mine is stamped with the blood of Christ. Remember, and I am saying this in love, not anger, one may be stopped at the border with an invalid passport! The analogy is apt.

I hope he can define it better than the previous Christians have, in their attempts.

Because the versions of Heaven I have heard about so far make me think I would thank the border guard.

"Oh, man, Angel... good thing you stopped me. I almost went in that idiotic place!"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
26-08-2015, 01:15 PM
(26-08-2015 12:57 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(21-08-2015 02:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, fuck. Even I'd say they're not True Christians™. Dodgy

But if there were a heaven, they'd get there ahead of Q and his ilk. Big Grin

So, you are saying Christian atheists are more so TRUE CHRISTIANS than I?

Thanks for affirming my ability to create valid definitions by creating one for yourself to use here at TTA! "A Christian atheist is more the true Christian than Q." GOOD JOB!

Except I didn't say that. Why do you constantly try to put words in people's mouths?
It's dishonest - stop doing it.

You are stupid, disingenuous, or both.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post