Misused Theist "ist" list

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Misused Theist "ist" list
I’m just wondering what terms you guys hear, that upon hearing them you know it’s coming from a Theist, not an atheist/agnostic. Specifically, I mean words that those whom it applies too would never use themselves.

I’ve been wondering if some of these may even be a regional thing. For example I often hear people call us evolutionist. I’ve not once called myself, nor consider myself an evolutionist. I’ve also never heard anyone refer to themselves as an evolutionist. I say I accept evolution as being true, but do not use “ist” at the end of it. They seem to just be a way that Theist are trying to add an “ist” to make them seem like beliefs analogues to religious beliefs. So they can, in the sweetest form of irony, dismiss them on the grounds of them only being religious beliefs.

Maybe you can help me build a list of ones you’ve heard, and if, like with evolutionist, perhaps in your region atheists/agnostics do use the term I’d be interested to know. Though I don’t expect evolutionist to be one of those. Also it doesn’t have to be an “ist” word. Just a word that Theist uses to describe us that we don’t ever use.

I’ll get the list started:

Evolutionist
Darwinist
Materialist

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2013, 01:44 PM
RE: Misused Theist "ist" list
Secular humanist
I do not what that one is all about but it seems to be what people say when they want use the "A" words
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Re: Misused Theist "ist" list
Reductionist

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user