Mixing Ammonia and Bleach

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Mixing Ammonia and Bleach
So, here's the latest installment of my daily ineptitude (Some of you may remember the time I melted plastic in my oven)

Today I was cleaning my bathroom, and I used both Ajax and Clorox. I Didn't actually mix them, I used clorox for the floor and Ajax for the bathtub, there was no contact. But I was thinking the fumes might've mixed. Is there still a danger if there was no direct contact between the agents?

Should I call 911, or at least the Poison Control Line?

I Will have My revenge on AlternateHistory.com, in this life or the next Evil_monster

~WrappedInShadows (AKA Me)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2013, 05:41 PM
RE: Mixing Ammonia and Bleach
(21-06-2013 05:38 PM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  So, here's the latest installment of my daily ineptitude (Some of you may remember the time I melted plastic in my oven)

Today I was cleaning my bathroom, and I used both Ajax and Clorox. I Didn't actually mix them, I used clorox for the floor and Ajax for the bathtub, there was no contact. But I was thinking the fumes might've mixed. Is there still a danger if there was no direct contact between the agents?

Should I call 911, or at least the Poison Control Line?

naw you have to actually mix the two for there to be problems and even then if it is well ventilated you should be ok.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
21-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah I used both one after the other to clean a shower when I used to work as a lifeguard in HS (ran out of bleach and went to ammonia or something)... I had no idea what I was in for...Noxious awful fumes, had to leave and let it air out...but I'm still alive....just don't go breathing that ****.

...Still not nearly as bad as when some valley girl opened the giant vat of liquid chlorine looking for the dry powder. I ran over and closed it in seconds but it still filled the room...I thought my lungs where on fire.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Open windows, turn on a fan...don't do that again.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
21-06-2013, 06:33 PM
I think you need to vent...

But that would be another thread wouldn't it?

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
21-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Ammonia is an acid. Bleach is a base. Stick em together, you get water, and they neutralize each other. Using them together is like pouring them down the drain.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

21-06-2013, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2013 07:40 PM by FSM_scot.)
READ THIS
Quote:Likely Chemical Reactions from Mixing Bleach and Ammonia
The bleach decomposes to form hydrochloric acid, which reacts with ammonia to form toxic chloramine fumes:

First the hydrochloric acid is formed:

NaOCl → NaOH + HOCl

HOCl → HCl + O

And then the ammonia and chlorine gas react to form chloramine, which is released as a vapor:

NaOCl + 2HCl → Cl2 + NaCl + H2O

2NH3 + Cl2 → 2NH2Cl

If ammonia is present in excess (which it may or may not be, depending on your mixture), toxic and potentially explosive liquid hydrazine may be formed. While impure hydrazine tends not to explode, it's still toxic, plus it can boil and spray hot toxic liquid.

2NH3 + NaOCl → N2H4 + NaCl + H2O
What to Do If You Mix Bleach and Ammonia - First Aid
If you do accidentally become to exposed to fumes from mixing bleach and ammonia, immediately remove yourself from the vicinity to fresh air and seek emergency medical attention. The vapors can attack your eyes and mucous membranes, but the biggest threat comes from inhaling the gases.

Get away from the site where the chemicals were mixed. You can't call for help if you are overwhelmed by the fumes.

Call 911 for emergency help. If you really don't think it's that bad, then at least call Poison Control for advice on handling the after-effects of exposure and cleaning up the chemicals. The number for Poison Control is:1-800-222-1222

If you find someone who you think has mixed bleach and ammonia, chances are he or she will be unconscious. If you can, remove the person to fresh air, preferably outdoors. Call 911 for emergency assistance. Do not hang up until instructed to do so.

Thoroughly ventilate the area before returning to dispose of the liquid. Seek specific instructions from Poison Control so that you don't hurt yourself. You're most likely to make this mistake in a bathroom or kitchen, so leave and seek assistance, return later to open a window, allow time for the fumes to dissipate, and then go back to clean up. Dilute the chemical mixture with plenty of water. Wear gloves, just as you would for either bleach or ammonia.

Don't mix chemicals.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
21-06-2013, 08:36 PM
I believe that a similar mixture was used during WWI as a chemical weapon (chlorine gas)...best to avoid mixing these two products.
21-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Dude. You need adult supervision.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
22-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Why use ammonia anyway? Shit stinks to high heaven all by itself.....

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com