Mmmm, horse.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2011, 01:53 PM
RE: Mmmm, horse.
I still haven't had people Q_Q I'm missing out..... I am not really a fan of beef, if I wanted a burger I'd definitely go with Buffalo. Never had horse before, I'd definitely try it. I can understand the compassion part as if I was served cat I would begrudgingly eat it. Wouldn't dare waste the dead cat.

I'd say Stark has it right, lets stop the production line slaughters. Raise meat in a friendly environment and vegetables too. If people feel bad about eating to survive then they should make the lives of their food better. It's an old traditional feeling that the less attached to something you are the easier it is to eat it, but if you really think about it, knowing your food lived well is a good thought.

I like to think of some cannibalistic tribes who eat tribesmen who die of natural causes as a sign of respect. Anyway food i better without the taste of fear all over it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
30-11-2011, 02:11 PM
A question I often ask is, "should eating meat be as easy as most people want it to be?" Perhaps it's a GOOD thing to have emotion tied to eating meat. When I sit down to eat a meal of rabbit with my family, I have a very slight twinge of sadness, because the food I am eating was once a life that I knew personally. But mostly what I feel is a great sense of pride knowing that I cared for the animal as best I could, I made sure it suffered as little as possible, and the nurishment it gives my family is taken in with a degree of respect one can only know by being a part of that animals life, not just it's death.

I know not everyone can take part in the raising and slaughter of the meat they eat, but everyone should at least know where it came from, and the kind of life it lived. Visit a feedlot. Then go visit a small farm. Those two visits will stay with you for a lifetime, and will always remind you that it's not just what you eat, but where it came from.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
30-11-2011, 03:40 PM
If your horse broke a leg or your dog got rabies, you'd have to kill him out of pity, right? You would do it as quickly and painlessly as possible. For cowboys, that means a bullet between the animal's eyes. Those same cowboys drove their huge herds of cattle to slaughterhouses in a city, where the cattle would be harassed, terrorized, crushed into pens and forced along chutes to a horrible death.
The bullet is both cheaper and more efficient. So ... ????
My brother used to kill his pigs that way.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
30-11-2011, 03:45 PM
And what those cowboys did to those cows was, and still is, cruel. The fact that they thought treating their horses bette tan their cattle is the exact thing I strongly disagree with. Sure you have a closer relationship with the horse you ride every day, but that doesn't mean the animal with whom you don't share that relationship deserves any less kindness.

Just visiting.

-SR
30-11-2011, 06:12 PM
(30-11-2011 01:07 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Anyone ever wonder while they are eating some kind of meat they have never had before... if it is what whoever made it told you it was? ...

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!!

Fixed.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-12-2011, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2011 01:01 PM by germanyt.)
(30-11-2011 11:09 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I've never tried horse, but i would give it a go given the chance.

I actually tried a kangaroo burger today and thought it was quite nice.

I ate a kangaroo steak in Darwin. Too gamey for my liking.

(30-11-2011 03:40 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  If your horse broke a leg or your dog got rabies, you'd have to kill him out of pity, right? You would do it as quickly and painlessly as possible. For cowboys, that means a bullet between the animal's eyes. Those same cowboys drove their huge herds of cattle to slaughterhouses in a city, where the cattle would be harassed, terrorized, crushed into pens and forced along chutes to a horrible death.
The bullet is both cheaper and more efficient. So ... ????
My brother used to kill his pigs that way.

You can't sharpen a bullet. Ammo would get real expensive if it was used to kill every cow/horse.

(30-11-2011 02:11 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  A question I often ask is, "should eating meat be as easy as most people want it to be?" Perhaps it's a GOOD thing to have emotion tied to eating meat. When I sit down to eat a meal of rabbit with my family, I have a very slight twinge of sadness, because the food I am eating was once a life that I knew personally. But mostly what I feel is a great sense of pride knowing that I cared for the animal as best I could, I made sure it suffered as little as possible, and the nurishment it gives my family is taken in with a degree of respect one can only know by being a part of that animals life, not just it's death.

I know not everyone can take part in the raising and slaughter of the meat they eat, but everyone should at least know where it came from, and the kind of life it lived. Visit a feedlot. Then go visit a small farm. Those two visits will stay with you for a lifetime, and will always remind you that it's not just what you eat, but where it came from.

I don't share this sentiment. Not once have I ever felt remorse over eating meat.

Food chain FTW.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
05-12-2011, 01:39 PM
I like horse meat as well... It's really juicy and has more character then regular beef.
I grew up with the stuff. Smoked between sandwiches. Horsestew is the local deli of my village.

I never saw something noble about a horse. At least not more noble then a cow or a pig.
Something that always bothers me...
In Dutch humans have "benen" (legs) and a "hoofd" (head) and all animals have "poten" (paws) and a "kop" (head).
Like "hondekop" (dog's head)
or "schapekop" (sheep's head)

except horses...
They supposed to have a "hoofd" and "benen" as well...
"Paardehoofd"
Dodgy
C'mon... that’s just pure snobbery!!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.