Mobile version

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2013, 07:13 AM
RE: Mobile version
(14-07-2013 06:21 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Ok, I'm not looking very deeply here but I am getting javascript exceptions - Uncaught TypeError: Object ... has no method 'observe'.
It's occuring in two javascript files - post.js and fitonpage.js. In both cases the observe appears to be intended to kick off processing for the respective module. Without it working I think both post.js and fitonpage.js are non-functional as their respective init methods won't be called.

It looks like Event.observe is meant to be linking into to the prototype js framework, but instead Event appears to be a function with no observe method. That presumably means that the prototype framework is not being loaded, or something else is being loaded that's replacing Event with its own thing.

In the set of loaded javascript files I'm seeing only fitonpage, post and ga. ga appears to be google analytics and I'm thinking is unlikely to be the problem... so it seems to just be that prototype.js is not being loaded. It looks like there should be an extra javascript section at the top of newreply.php (and possibly in other places) that loads prototype.js. The correct way to do that is probably either to point to an instance installed on the TTA site, or to some cdn version. I'm not familiar with the framework, so I can't be more specific.

Oh, except that I notice the desktop site includes prototype.js this way:
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/jscripts/prototype.js?ver=1600"></script>

Yes, the last update overwrote the prototype js library with a later version. I was crossing my fingers hoping that the api would be consistent through that change. The thing is, core site functionality like quoting posts shouldn't be affected since I'd expect them to patch that allong with the prototype library update.

It's just a minor nuicance in the meantime and I'll fix it shortly.

Thanks for investigating it!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
14-07-2013, 08:04 AM
ok, I found that one of the portions in the mobile template was outdated. It should work now.

Turns out javascript wasn't the cause but I fixed some of those errors also.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
14-07-2013, 08:11 AM
(14-07-2013 08:04 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  ok, I found that one of the portions in the mobile template was outdated. It should work now.

Yes, it's working now. Thanks Smile

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
14-07-2013, 08:13 AM
(13-07-2013 08:11 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  The quote feature only recently quit working on the mobile version...

(14-07-2013 08:11 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(14-07-2013 08:04 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  ok, I found that one of the portions in the mobile template was outdated. It should work now.

Yes, it's working now. Thanks Smile

yes,it works!
Thanks deep!

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
14-07-2013, 10:39 PM
It works for me too!!

Thanks Deep!

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

15-07-2013, 03:21 AM

I don't give a shit about mobile, 'cause I think it's stupid, but you're a good dude. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user