Mod destroyed my thread at Christian site. Fuck Christian forums
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2014, 01:30 PM
RE: Mod destroyed my thread at Christian site. Fuck Christian forums
(08-08-2014 06:12 AM)zaybu Wrote:  
(07-08-2014 09:22 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  So my thread asked questions about the interpretation of Scripture and I responded to the Apologist with some of these answers and the mod destroyed my thread. That is one reason why I wish there were more Theists here Sad so I could actually debate them without fear of a ban.

And you were also banned at atheist forum/com. That's because you are a TROLL.
Where have I trolled on this site?
Find all posts by this user
08-08-2014, 01:40 PM
(08-08-2014 06:12 AM)zaybu Wrote:  
(07-08-2014 09:22 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  So my thread asked questions about the interpretation of Scripture and I responded to the Apologist with some of these answers and the mod destroyed my thread. That is one reason why I wish there were more Theists here Sad so I could actually debate them without fear of a ban.

And you were also banned at atheist forum/com. That's because you are a TROLL.
Could you show me which rule I violated at Af.com?
08-08-2014, 02:02 PM
(07-08-2014 09:22 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  The Apologists response was, "actually in the original translation it wasn't face but his hip or back"
So Moses talked to the god (Mose's face to God's hip or God's back)? (the god turns it's back on people when conversing?)
or is it that you will die if you see the god's hip or back? (Is it really that disgusting?)

Rather than just accept as a given "OK, it says it, therefore it must be true" do the religious folk go a step further? Why would you die if you see the god's face/hip/back? Can't the all powerful god keep you alive?

(07-08-2014 09:22 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  There is no document in the History of mankind that has been misunderstood/misinterpreted as much as the Bible.
Your assumption here is that there is a proper understating/interpretation of the bible. You can't judge something as a misinterpretation if there is no proper interpretation.
This is the value of the bible for the religious folk. They can make of it whatever they want (this way it ultimately reflects themselves or that of their church leader), and this is why Christians are so diverse.
08-08-2014, 03:54 PM
(08-08-2014 10:36 AM)Addai Wrote:  Nope quite to the contrary. The Bible is very reliable when compared to other ancient and classical works of its era. i.e. when you compare Biblical manuscripts to ones from texts from Homer, Julius Cesar, Aristotle etc. It's just that it is not as perfect etc. as some would allege.
Seriously? Blink
Apparently you don't understand your own words. You just got through pointing out that issues of culture, language, and translations cause mistranslations and different interpretations. How is that at all reliable? In addition, the Bible can't even be compared with itself and be reliable, let alone being compared with other works. Nor can it be compared with history or archeology and be shown to be reliable.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
08-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Well the late professor F. F. Bruce of the University of Manchester probably stated it best.

" The evidence for our New Testament writings is ever so much greater than the evidence for many writings of classical authors, the authenticity of which no one dreams of questioning. And if the New Testament were a collection of secular writings, their authenticity would generally be regarded as beyond all doubt. It is a curious fact that historians have often been much readier to trust the New Testament records than have many theologians.

Perhaps we can appreciate how wealthy the New Testament is in manuscript attestation if we compare the textual material for other ancient historical works. For Caesar’s Gallic War (composed between 58 and 50 BC) there are several extant MSS [manuscripts], but only nine or ten are good, and the oldest is some 900 years later than Caesar’s day. Of the 142 books of the Roman History of Livy (59 BC – AD 17) only thirty-five survive, these are known to us from not more than twenty MSS of any consequence, only one of which, and that containing fragments of Books iii-vi, is as old as the fourth century. Of the fourteen books of the Histories of Tacitus (c. AD 100) only four and a half survive; of the sixteen books of his Annals, ten survive in full and two in part. The text of these extant portions of his two great historical works depend entirely on two MSS, one of the ninth century and one of the eleventh. The extant MSS of his minor works Dialogus de Oratoribus, Agricola, Germania all descend from a codex of the tenth century. The History of Thucydides (c. 460-400 BC) is known to us from eight MSS, the earliest belonging to C. AD 900, and a few papyrus scraps, belonging to about the beginning of the Christian era. The same is true of the History of Herodotus (c. 480-425 BC). Yet no classical scholar would listen to an argument that the authenticity of Herodotus or Thucydides is in doubt because the earliest MSS of their works which are of any use to us are over 1,300 years later than the originals (1960, 15-17)."

from

https://www.christiancourier.com/article...literature
08-08-2014, 04:10 PM
"The evidence for our New Testament writings..."

I assume that really means the evidence for the truth of our New Testament writings because obviously the writings themselves exist. However, instead of believing everything you read, do some research. Even a little research will show you that the evidence shows just the opposite.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
08-08-2014, 04:42 PM
(08-08-2014 01:40 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  
(08-08-2014 06:12 AM)zaybu Wrote:  And you were also banned at atheist forum/com. That's because you are a TROLL.
Could you show me which rule I violated at Af.com?

Yes please, let's discuss your antisocial behavior on every thread.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
08-08-2014, 05:08 PM
(08-08-2014 09:26 AM)Addai Wrote:  As a Christian I might take a conceptual stab at your general OP wicked.

While I believe in the Divine Inspiration of Scripture, unlike many fundamentalists etc.
I also believe that the scriptures are a human product.
A point that can not be stressed enough.....

Anyway as a human product their are issues that come in to play.

1) Their are issues of culture and genre. i.e. - The Hebrews are a radically different culture than modern industrialized Americans and Europeans. They tend to think and express themselves much different than we do.

2) Their are also issues language and translation and such. Their are lots of issues especially how to translate something. i.e. Should you translate a phrase in the most literal and exact way possible, even for things that are idiomatic and not readily understood by a different culture or audience (for the sake of veracity to the original text)? Or should you translate the idiom to another expression that conveys its meaning but is entirely different than what the original text might say?

3) Besides that there are other issues and problems. i.e. There are some things in the Greek text of the NT that I believe are mistranslations of Aramaic expressions and of course when copying the Bible multiple times by hand their is always the chance of a copyist error.

In terms of the difference between one text saying "person X" saw God faces to face, While another says "Nobody has seen God face to face". I would have to put it down to two different uses of terms and expressions. Namely the first post would be speaking of or alluding to "seeing God in all his glory" while the second would be describing something called a theophany. (see link below).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theophany

Hope that helps and take care. Smile

Yes, the old "This is why I can cherry-pick and twist anything into what I want it to be" escape hatch.

Nothing new there.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
Thread Closed