Model D weaponry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2017, 12:18 PM
RE: Model D weaponry
(28-02-2017 12:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 12:08 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Your prophet is on the job. Big Grin

Giraffes must wander around tripping their tiny brains out. No wonder they don't sleep.

We all dream of a simpler life. Then we wake up. Gasp

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-02-2017, 12:19 PM
His prose is very similar to a troll that was just over at that other forum who was in turn a smelly, smelly sock. PGJ....is that you?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
28-02-2017, 12:20 PM
(28-02-2017 12:03 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  You know, of all the Dan Barker quotes, if I've got the clip this is from right, I actually kind of appreciate it as a theist, that you didn't go with the "Hey do you want to live in my attic" story.

Shall I tell you a secret? I have literally no idea where this quote is actually from or what this attic story is. I just really agree with the sentiment.

Shall I tell you another secret? I know next to nothing about Dan Barker.

Shall I tell you *yet* another secret? I've only read one "atheist" book (God is Not Great) and that was way after I stopped being religious and was just curious (I liked it). Also, after translating his autobiography, I can't *stand* that egomaniacal jerk Dawkins and never quite understood the desire I've seen among some atheists (yep, I know we're not a group and are all entirely different people) to put some famous atheist on a pedestal. Almost like they are doing pretty much what Barker was talking about, only, not with slavery, but with worship. Rolleyes

Johnny, dear: “I am living in a nightmare, from which from time to time I wake in sleep."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
28-02-2017, 12:21 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2017 12:26 PM by Shai Hulud.)
The only reason I got Astreja's weregeld thing before she explained it, was due to Harry Potter fanfiction, where they use it to get a dying Death Eater out of Azkaban so he can die in a hospital instead of prison, and sneakily pass a re-affirmation of weregeld rates on Muggle lives in the Wizenmagot.

(28-02-2017 12:10 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 12:03 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Well, you all could hang out with me? Tongue I'll show myself out now on that joke...

I could embarrass myself all day flirting with Aliza. Angel

Or flirting with me; I'd seriously be so dense as to never realize it. (In all seriousness, one of my exes once told me she'd been flirting with me for six months before I picked up on it.)

Edit:
(28-02-2017 12:20 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 12:03 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  You know, of all the Dan Barker quotes, if I've got the clip this is from right, I actually kind of appreciate it as a theist, that you didn't go with the "Hey do you want to live in my attic" story.

Shall I tell you a secret? I have literally no idea where this quote is actually from or what this attic story is. I just really agree with the sentiment.

Shall I tell you another secret? I know next to nothing about Dan Barker.

Shall I tell you *yet* another secret? I've only read one "atheist" book (God is Not Great) and that was way after I stopped being religious and was just curious (I liked it). Also, after translating his autobiography, I can't *stand* that egomaniacal jerk Dawkins and never quite understood the desire I've seen among some atheists (yep, I know we're not a group and are all entirely different people) to put some famous atheist on a pedestal. Almost like they are doing pretty much what Barker was talking about, only, not with slavery, but with worship. Rolleyes

But Vera, you're ruining your evil atheist street cred in front of Proud Catholic!! Supposed to be part of a vast evil monolithic entity!

Also, now I've got to post the attic speech where he portrays God as a guy who locks his kid in the basement and tortures him, but now that kid's sacrifice means we can all live in his attic because we walked by his house...

And agreed, there are some atheists who put folks like Dawkins on a pedestal, or practically Saint the late Hitchens. (Also kudos to you for having the patience to translate a book to read it. Would not be able to do that personally.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
28-02-2017, 12:37 PM
I've only read two books by Dawkins: (1) The Blind Watchmaker, which I liked a lot, and (2) The God Delusion, which didn't impress me. I remember thinking "I agree with most of what he's saying, but it wouldn't convince anyone who doesn't already agree with it -- also, he's being kind of a dick about it."

As for Vera translating Dawkins, I'm pretty sure she did that professionally and not in order to read him. After all, her English seems to be just fine on the forum.Smile
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
28-02-2017, 12:41 PM
(28-02-2017 12:37 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I've only read two books by Dawkins: (1) The Blind Watchmaker, which I liked a lot, and (2) The God Delusion, which didn't impress me. I remember thinking "I agree with most of what he's saying, but it wouldn't convince anyone who doesn't already agree with it -- also, he's being kind of a dick about it."

As for Vera translating Dawkins, I'm pretty sure she did that professionally and not in order to read him. After all, her English seems to be just fine on the forum.Smile

Point taken, I went months before realizing she wasn't from a country where English was the primary language, and only realized it when she was like "here in Brazil". Smile

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
28-02-2017, 12:46 PM
(28-02-2017 12:41 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(28-02-2017 12:37 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I've only read two books by Dawkins: (1) The Blind Watchmaker, which I liked a lot, and (2) The God Delusion, which didn't impress me. I remember thinking "I agree with most of what he's saying, but it wouldn't convince anyone who doesn't already agree with it -- also, he's being kind of a dick about it."

Point taken, I went months before realizing she wasn't from a country where English was the primary language, and only realized it when she was like "here in Brazil". Smile

She was on vacation. I wanna say Romania but I'm like, "tell it Vera." Wink

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-02-2017, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2017 12:50 PM by Vera.)
(28-02-2017 12:21 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  But Vera, you're ruining your evil atheist street cred in front of Proud Catholic!! Supposed to be part of a vast evil monolithic entity!

Also, now I've got to post the attic speech where he portrays God as a guy who locks his kid in the basement and tortures him, but now that kid's sacrifice means we can all live in his attic because we walked by his house...

And agreed, there are some atheists who put folks like Dawkins on a pedestal, or practically Saint the late Hitchens. (Also kudos to you for having the patience to translate a book to read it. Would not be able to do that personally.)

Well, he kinda has a point Wink though stand-up makes me kinda uncomfortable (I'm weird, I know) so couldn't quite finish it), and there is a certain Stockholm-syndrome/abusive boyfriend feel to the whole thing. Also, not for the same reason, but the idea of Heaven really scared me when I was still religious (wasn't even because of my near mortal (or is it immortal Rolleyes ) fear of eternity/apeirophobia). I kinda had to keep telling myself that I'd be "changed beyond recognition" (of course, that wouldn't have been me, but let's not digress even further!) so Heaven wouldn't feel as horrible as the idea of it felt.

I don't understand putting people on pedestals, period. Whatever the reason and whoever the person up there. I might agree with someone a lot, may respect and even admire them a lot, that doesn't mean I'm going to near-worship them or take every single word they say as gospel.

Ha, to read it! I translated it for the moniez and nothing else (like I do with the other books I translate)! Though I actually did not get paid in that case (might actually be a sign from God Consider ) - that was my previous publishing house and they are going through some crappy times and I'm an idiot who, apparently, cannot be arsed to go after them for the money I'm owed (and going after them means just calling them more than once. Which I didn't. Did I say I'm an idiot?) I'm with you - translating books for "fun" is unfathomable to me (the last book I literally finished today, already has a "fan translation" in my language. Where one gets the time to translate (even if it can hardly be called translation, as fan-translators are usually equally bad in both English and their native language) an entire book just for fun, is something I would never be able to understand.

ETA: Shai Hulud, in about five days' time it really will be "here in Brazil"! Yay! But for now, Johnny, my dear, it's "here, across the Danube river from Romania", thank you very muchly Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
28-02-2017, 12:48 PM

All I've read of Dawkins was "River outta eden,"I figure as a biologist, Dawkins is indispensable, but as a theologian, he's an asshole. Tongue

[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-02-2017, 02:03 PM
This guy needs a napkin to wipe the egg off his face- he's been pretty well served! Laugh out load