Model D weaponry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2017, 06:54 PM
RE: Model D weaponry
(05-03-2017 04:22 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 02:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've had that experience before where I don't immediately recognize some of my best code when people show it to me. Makes me wonder who really wrote it. It's a bootstrap paradox. Big Grin
This works in reverse, too. I've seen code I wrote a half dozen years ago and ask myself, what idiot wrote this crap? Oh, wait ...

I usually only need a couple of days to reach that conclusion

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2017, 07:49 PM
(05-03-2017 02:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-03-2017 10:15 AM)Alla Wrote:  It was really beautiful composition. But then she pronounced name of the author. It was my name! I was shocked. I don't know why I didn't recognize right away it was my creation? How was it possible? I was shocked that I actually could write something that good.

I've had that experience before where I don't immediately recognize some of my best code when people show it to me. Makes me wonder who really wrote it. It's a bootstrap paradox. Big Grin

I've long held that this phenomenon is what the religious call "divine inspiration", because they can't accept that just thinking about something long enough to get in the zone must have come from their own minds. When they go back to look, and don't understand immediately how they did it, it had to be from somewhere else. I know that I too have observed this phenomenon within myself (the non-immediate recognition part, not the giving-god-the-credit part). To avoid this while in university, I would frequently review difficult parts of my mathematics and physics homework and notes.
05-03-2017, 08:31 PM
Goddammit! Every time I see this thread title I still keep thinking it's about model making... like model cars or trains or tanks or something. Damned, dumb thread. Geesh! Rolleyes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
05-03-2017, 10:26 PM
Close to the topic of not recognizing your own work, I came up with this hypothetical question years ago.

There is a master painting forger who can recreate nearly every detail of a painting, even if he's only seen it once. When he's painting, he has near perfect memory recall.

One night he goes to sleep and in his dream he is walking through an art museum. One particular painting catches his eye and he captures everything about it, looking at every detail for as long as he can.
He's never seen this painting before.

When he awakens, he makes a copy of the painting he saw in his dream.

Now the question.
Who is the artist that created the painting if the forger merely copied what he saw ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
05-03-2017, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 10:40 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(05-03-2017 10:26 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Close to the topic of not recognizing your own work, I came up with this hypothetical question years ago.

There is a master painting forger who can recreate nearly every detail of a painting, even if he's only seen it once. When he's painting, he has near perfect memory recall.

One night he goes to sleep and in his dream he is walking through an art museum. One particular painting catches his eye and he captures everything about it, looking at every detail for as long as he can.

Now the question.
Who is the artist that created the painting if the forger merely copied what he saw ?

Himself. His conscious just had a very interesting interaction with his own subconscious. Unless there is evidence and reason to believe this his dream is the product of outside interference (e.g. jacked into the Matrix), there's nothing but the activity of his own neurons.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
05-03-2017, 11:58 PM
(05-03-2017 10:34 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 10:26 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Close to the topic of not recognizing your own work, I came up with this hypothetical question years ago.

Now the question.

Himself. His conscious just had a very interesting interaction with his own subconscious. Unless there is evidence and reason to believe this his dream is the product of outside interference (e.g. jacked into the Matrix), there's nothing but the activity of his own neurons.

The Irish composer Turlough O'Carolan used to say that he just wrote down the tunes that were taught to him by the fairies. They were his compositions.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post