Moderates and Extremists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2011, 09:57 AM
RE: Moderates and Extremists
Hey, Godless.

Thanks for the clarification.

Conflict with another group is a very different thing than internal power dynamics.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2011, 11:44 AM
(16-01-2011 09:17 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Are you saying that if a lapsed religious person defends attacks on religion, they're stopping you from attacking the extreme of the religion?

Something like that, yes. We've had this discussion on "fence sitters" before.

I can elaborate more when I've got a little more time, but basically when you pretend you believe and defend the idea that you can't attack religion for its beliefs (and we absolutely do that in the western world), you are giving the more extreme elements of society the ability to shout out just one side of the argument while the other side is held silently.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
16-01-2011, 01:26 PM
(16-01-2011 09:17 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, No. J. What is meant by:
Quote: They can also refuse to support, or even tolerate, a system that nourishes extremism/

If your church members leave your church for another that doesn't tolerate extremism, then you will face a choice, no members or no extremists. It is that simple. (ie. religions did not stop teaching that the world was flat because science proved it to be round, they stopped teaching that it was flat because they were losing members and the power and wealth that those members provided). A church will not support extremists if it loses its wealth and power to do so.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.