Modern Primitivism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2015, 08:07 AM
Modern Primitivism
An odd thing has happened over the years. It used to be that a haircut defined a generation. It used to be to be that if you showed up in Junior High school with a buzz cut, it indicated that your dad used to be a Marine. Nowadays, that doesn’t really apply. Even to girls. Anybody can have a shaved head and barely attract a sideways glance.

I suppose that’s a bit frustrating to the aspiring exhibitionist.

There was a time when a boy with long hair was an oddity. I suppose it was a sign of rebellion. In my case however, it was simply to cover up a set of ears that stuck out at right angles to my head. For the average boy the indication was, the longer the hair, the more the kid got away with at home. It was always good to see one of the cool kids with long hair come in one day with a buzz cut. It meant one of a few things. Either dad kicked the kid’s ass, the kid set the garage and himself on fire, or a bet had been lost. Any one made for an interesting story and helped break the monotony of the day.

In the late 70’s that started to change. All sorts of boys started coming to school with longer hair. Somehow the long hair lost it’s status as a challenge to authority and simply became a lame fashion statement.

Now a kid can have any hair length he or she wants, and barely attract attention. So now the budding exhibitionist needs to dye their hair some extreme unnatural color - fluorescent green perhaps, to draw more than a passing glance.

All sorts of modern primitivism have sprouted in vain attempts to “shock the citizens”. Tattoos became the rage to the point of being passe. So too have body piercing - ears, noses, cheeks, tongues, nipples and genitalia have been stuck with more needles than a truck load of porcupines. Scarification and branding are still fairly new to most, but they too will rapidly become commonplace.

So, to all those people who simply MUST have people staring at them, I have a suggestion.

Staple art - Surgical staples could be used to make some dandy patterns. A swastika on your forehead done in staples might get more than a passing glance. Or, perhaps you could get your upper body tattooed black, and you could use staples strategically placed to mimic zippers, making for a faux leather bike jacket. You could go for the “biker look” 24/7. While not really original, it would show a higher than normal level of dedication.

Just remember, if you really want to stand out from the crowd, it’s going to have to hurt.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-01-2015, 06:19 AM
RE: Modern Primitivism
Now the way to be a cool kid is to use the right social network.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
27-01-2015, 06:59 AM
Modern Primitivism
When I'm dressed for work, no one sees my ink or my piercings. Smile

If they get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers. (Thomas Pynchon)
27-01-2015, 07:09 AM
(26-01-2015 08:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A swastika on your forehead done in staples might get more than a passing glance.

True story. A painter working on a house I was building had long bangs. One hot day he brushed his face and I could see something dark on his forehead. I mentioned this and he laughed nervously, pulled back his hair and there across his forehead, in horrible penmanship, was a woman’s name!

“She caught me cheating and tattooed her name on my forehead.” Facepalm

Ah, true love.

"The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline of wonder.” ~ Ralph W. Sockman
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
27-01-2015, 08:52 AM
Quote:Staple art - Surgical staples could be used to make some dandy patterns.

How about no.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
27-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Just wear a shirt that says you're an atheist. People WILL ask you about it.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
27-01-2015, 10:46 AM
I have a t-shirt that says "Infidel" in English and in Farsi.

No comments, but some funny looks...
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post