Modern Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Modern Religion
A few years ago I had a friend, my best friend back then. One day we were at the city. And there were some girls our age (was about 19 or so) who were dancing to pop-ish music and when they were done, they started talking to people and handing out flyers.
Turned out this was a religious community called "EC" (Entschieden für Christus - decided for Christ). They were targeting young adults and teens. They have a lot of activities for young people all wrapped nicely with religion.
Afaik a branch of the protestant church or at least they get support from it.
http://www.ec.de/

Today I found another branching of the protestant church. "AB" (Augsburgerisches Bekenntnis - Denomination of Augsburg). They started of with travelling preachers, of course nowadays it's more.
Of course they believe in the bible being the inspired word of god and that you have to live your live according to Jesus' teachings and that only if you believe in Jesus blahblah you get his salvation.
http://ab-steinen.de/

Sorry my sources are only German...

Anyway what do you think about those new branches or religion, targeting younger people and/or appearing very active and supporting.

In my opinion, it is a good thing to have an active and supportive community but I could skip all the brainwashing that comes with it...

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2012, 08:24 AM
RE: Modern Religion
(30-01-2012 07:30 AM)Leela Wrote:  Anyway what do you think about those new branches or religion, targeting younger people and/or appearing very active and supporting.

In my opinion, it is a good thing to have an active and supportive community but I could skip all the brainwashing that comes with it...

I'm not sure that I would characterize a community that requires certain beliefs and behaviors as supportive. In fact, I wouldn't.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-01-2012, 09:10 AM
I just see that such ... "cults"... are bad, even these which I would still count as harmless-ish. The first one I stated actually lost me my best friend back then. Suddenly I wasn't Christian enough anymore where it didn't bother her at all as long as she was "only" catholic.

30-01-2012, 09:15 AM
A cult isn't a community.

A community is something organic: families who live near one another and are economically and socially interdependent. In a real community, there are people of all ages, abilities and needs. A single set of laws governs them and a generally accepted standard of behaviour has developed over time (at least years; better, generations). The rules and manners also adapt over time, along with technology, environment and philosophical outlook.
Community can't be imposed on people; it grows with them.

What cults do is recruit young people to an artificial system (much like recruiting them for an army). If the cult then goes away and establishes a settlement somewhere, plants crops, makes its own clothes, has marriages and babies and evolves its own mores, it may eventually become a community.
If the cult remains juxtaposed with real communities, so that young recruits go back and forth, the cult is essentially training saboteurs. It fills impressionable young people with propaganda, with the intent of proselytizing; mainly they sow discord among their family and neighbours in the real community.
This is not supportive; it's disruptive and dangerous.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
Find all posts by this user
30-01-2012, 09:22 AM
I would much rather join a chess club, a debate team or an online game clan for community support
I dont know why people resort to the supernatural for community when there are much realistic and better
things to "commune over?lol", the local music scene, book clubs, sports groups, something artsey
Id much rather have a community that helps me develope a real life skill or trait such as fitness or art
or even pcgaming skills (leadership skills Smile ) than a bullshit community in which you drink some blood
of a dead guy and then eat his body that's made out of crackers.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
30-01-2012, 05:28 PM
It really bothers when me when I see stuff like this. I was particularly bothered when at school we were shown a slideshow about a charity that runs an orphanage in South America. There were lots of slides with pictures of them playing with the kids, feeding them, etc, then it showed them all praying and singing at church, and started talking about how it was bringing the good news to these people... It seems like they're well intentioned for the most part but it really seems like they're taking advantage of less fortunate people to put them in a position where they're so grateful for their help they'll believe anything. It's totally unethical.
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
31-01-2012, 09:09 AM
I absolutely aggree, Ben.

And what also bothers me A LOT, I am not sure how in the really poor place (third world) but at least in the "rich" countries, at some point it's going to be about money. First they make you feel warm and fuzzy and thankful and then they make you pay money. Even if you don't have any they tell you things like "but everyone can spare 10 Euro". That happened to me when I had 20 Euro for a whole month left and they make you feel bad if you can't pay it... Not fair and very greedy...