Modern day fossils.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2012, 06:56 AM
Modern day fossils.
Today we have museums full of historical relics......... objects that go back thousands of years. Some look pretty obvious in there uses and the rest we have to guess.

I was having a chat with my friend the other day and we were hypothesising over what people would make of us today....... if for whatever reason something happened to the human race and all that was left for others to discover was our fossils/traces.

How would a civilisation starting its baby steps into archeology, with primitive technology compared to us, see the everyday things we take for granted???

I know that not everything will survive........ that a huge majority of things will degrade over certain periods of time..... but if we disregard that for one second and imagine that it did survive, then what things from our civilisation/society do you think that are around today would caus the most confusion to people in the future???

Heres a couple me and my mate discussed.......

Vehicles.

There may never be a working model discovered, never mind knowing what fuel to use.... so until the engine was reversed engineered and replicated they would speculate over to what "magical" force powered it. There would be small to medium size vehicles (Cars, vans, 4x4s, caravans etc) Large vehicles (Trucks, buses etc) and massive vehicles (Tanks, jetliners etc)

They may look at planes and wonder at the two long lengths sticking out of each side...... but would they guess that it flew in the air???

Money.

They may have something similar themselves...... and im sure our money would give clues with denominations, pictures of historical events and current "leaders"...... but what is interesting is whatever they found, no matter even if they found every piece of money in the world..... would actually be a accurate representation of wealth that we live in digitally today.

Computer chips

These would be everywhere, they wouldnt be attached to everything but they would be attached to a LOT of objects. There would even be strange, smooth shiney boxes full of them (domestic appliances etc) and they would even be in the strange Vehicles. They would be found with a huge majority of bodies as well (mobile phones, I pods)

Large monuments

With regards to realism over what would survive...... I think some of the larger monuments and more permanent items have the best chance..... would they see these massive objects as temples and shrines or because they were massive and built to last misinterpret there significance ...... they would never guess that we normally just looked at them and took "magical" pictures of them with some of the certain useless shiney objects.

Repetitiveness/Globalisation

What they will find has a high chance of being discovered worldwide but with maybe slight variations. This would be different from our journey through archeology as the things we find appear to be more primitive and localised to the area.

Symbols and effigies

I suppose this could also fall under the above catergory..... some companies are worldwide and have things all over the world. Coca-Cola is meant to be the most common brand know about globally than anything else, even apparently know more than religion Confused Would they be recognised as brands or would they be interpreted to have symbolic meaning??? They might find in our literature...... "The Internet"....... but it is something that they will never find, yet we will talk about it alot and maybe it could be seen as an invisible all knowing god (google).......... hold on, that sounds familiar Dodgy

Big Grin

EDIT: Also please somebody like this post....... and take me off 666 Evil_monster (ironic given the subject matter) ha ha

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
09-07-2012, 10:12 AM
RE: Modern day fossils.
Interesting to think about. I would imagine there would not be much written literature left to find. Someone could find a Kindle and have no idea it held thousands of books.

I like to think this sort of thought experiment could be applied to our past. Recorded history is only around 10,000-ish years old. What if there was a civilization a few hundreds of thousands years ago that was advanced like ours then disappeared. With erosion, time, ice ages and cataclysms would much remain of that time. Can we say for certain evolution has followed one constant straight line of history leading to only our advanced society?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
09-07-2012, 10:29 AM
They would find our paved roads and think that there was a MASSIVE volcanic explosion that covered the whole Earth in a short time-span, but left its remnants in odd patterns...

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
09-07-2012, 10:41 AM
They would find the Space Needle and think we held the belief that we were visited by Alien UFO's.

[Image: submit_7_19_09.jpg]

[Image: seattle_post_apocalypse_by_bdbros-d3djqpz.jpg]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My