Modern physics has brought us nothing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2016, 05:41 PM
RE: Modern physics has brought us nothing
(22-02-2016 02:41 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  Read a book??? wow! you have NO idea how much I read! About ten-twenty a week!

I think Chas meant books not requiring crayons.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
22-02-2016, 05:43 PM
I'm having a hard time taking seriously somebody who posts in sound bites that are bereft of basic spelling, grammar, content or coherence.

All those books a week only count if you colour inside the lines.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
22-02-2016, 05:52 PM
(22-02-2016 02:59 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Also, I... don't think Tesla discovered X-rays. Am pretty sure some one else (Maybe French, ? Without a Google search) got there first?

Roentgen. They gave him the inaugural Nobel Prize in physics for it.

X-rays, being EM radiation, are just the output of sufficiently high-energy cathode ray tubes. Tesla - and a great many others! - were working with x-rays at the time, given that it was the contemporaneous cutting edge of electromagnetic physics, and thus being studied the world over.

Roentgen was the first to publish with real systematic rigour, which is why it's traditional historiography to say he "discovered" them. A great many scientific "discoveries" were anything but singular!

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
22-02-2016, 05:53 PM
RE: Modern religion has brought us nothing
Irony (noun): A semi-literate home-schooled drooler using integrated microcircuits, lasers, fiber-optics, semiconductors, superconductors and a fleet of earth-orbitting satellites to share the opinion that modern physics has brought us nothing.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 15 users Like Paleophyte's post
22-02-2016, 05:55 PM
(22-02-2016 05:52 PM)cjlr Wrote:  A great many scientific "discoveries" were anything but singular!

We credit Newton with the calculus and then we use Leibniz's notation. That's just wrong.

#sigh
22-02-2016, 05:56 PM
(22-02-2016 05:43 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I'm having a hard time taking seriously somebody who posts in sound bites that are bereft of basic spelling, grammar, content or coherence.

Laugh out load I was thinking Dr Seuss, but yeah, coloring books work, too! I've been watching this train wreck with a jaundiced eye, as my training is in Physics (BSc).
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
22-02-2016, 06:06 PM
(22-02-2016 05:56 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 05:43 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I'm having a hard time taking seriously somebody who posts in sound bites that are bereft of basic spelling, grammar, content or coherence.

Laugh out load I was thinking Dr Seuss, but yeah, coloring books work, too! I've been watching this train wreck with a jaundiced eye, as my training is in Physics (BSc).

The poor boy's mixed up fusion and fission. Don't confuse him with the Seuss interpretation of sock quantum chromo-dynamics.

---
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
22-02-2016, 06:09 PM
(22-02-2016 02:41 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  Read a book??? wow! you have NO idea how much I read! About ten-twenty a week!

The fact that you can't tell if it was ten or twenty lends this lie extra hilarity.

Hint: Did you have to take your socks off to do the math?

---
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
22-02-2016, 06:31 PM
One quark, two quark,
Red quark, blue quark,
Up quark, down quark,
Quark, quark, quark!
Baryon!

Cat in box, toxin box.
See box locks!
Live cat? Dead cat?
Hurt your head cat!
Quantum Hall cat,
Walks through walls that!

---
[+] 17 users Like Paleophyte's post
22-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Hahahaha. I can't tell you fellow TTA forum members how enjoyable it is when someone who thinks they know lots of sciency stuff show up and make a statement like the OP did and who also probably thinks the TTA forum is full of dolts and idiots, then you guys drag the troll through the mud with intelligent replies and educated facts. It's the funniest damn thing.

Carry on.Popcorn

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post