Mom, can we talk about something else but god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2013, 08:09 PM
RE: Mom, can we talk about something else but god?
I needed to be honest, so this is how I handled the situation with my family

I had 1 on 1 discussions in which I would be absolutely honest about where I was at the moment.
I would let them know I am completely open to discussion, but I would rather not debate because there is no need for bitterness between us.
I would tell them how I got to the point that I was at, and lastly (this works for those with baptist roots) I would remind them of the parable of the good shepherd, leaving the 99 to pursue the 1; I would remind them of who I had been, and conclude that if god was real, I would no doubt come to know that and return.

it was only through that, that I could comfort my grandmother on her death bed, to set her mind at rest.

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Have you tried this shit I already suggested to you,

"My Baptist mother keeps praying for my godless soul but we rarely discuss religion anymore. Last time she brought it up I told her that Karl Barth, one of the most prominent and prolific theologians ever, put forth the proposition that Jesus was the embodiment of both God's election of all of humanity and God's rejection of human sin. It doesn't matter what I or anybody else believes, we're all going to heaven. To think otherwise trivializes the Christ."

Mum's on her heels trying to restore balance

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
25-07-2013, 02:49 AM
(24-07-2013 10:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-07-2013 02:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  That's rude though.
How would you like to be constantly abruptly interrupted every time you tried to talk about something you like?

The best and only response to the situation, in my opinion, is to suck it up.
Dare I say don't be so selfish?

Atheist's are quick to throw around how Christians aren't tolerate enough...
Lead by example.

Nope. What really is rude is her mom's constantly shoving her beliefs down her daughter's throat, without request. It's payment in kind. Of course I wouldn't want to be interrupted. THAT's precisely the point. If I was constantly interrupted, I would reevaluate my behavior, and stop trying to impose what I like on someone who is not at all interested.

She's not shoving her beliefs down her daughter's throat...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
26-07-2013, 02:48 PM
When you were a little girl and learning to speak, your mother listened to your babblings. Now it's your turn.
26-07-2013, 02:59 PM
AFAIK her Mom's not senile yet Tongue
26-07-2013, 04:16 PM
(26-07-2013 02:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  AFAIK her Mom's not senile yet Tongue

My aunt may be old but she is not senile. Her life revolves around church. Consequently so do all of her thoughts. People are only human. If their brains are bombarded with something constantly, their mouths will talk about it.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man