Moments that make you think.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2013, 06:40 AM
Shocked RE: Moments that make you think.
(24-01-2013 06:38 AM)Filox Wrote:  And from now on it's DR. Filox, OK? Let me hear you: DOCTOR!

Big Grin

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2013, 06:42 AM
RE: Moments that make you think.
Maybe since she is blind she can qualify for disability, rental assistance, and food stamps to name a few. If I never had to worry about working ever again and my bills got covered by tax payers, I would be really happy too.
24-01-2013, 06:46 AM
(24-01-2013 06:42 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Maybe since she is blind she can qualify for disability, rental assistance, and food stamps to name a few. If I never had to worry about working ever again and my bills got covered by tax payers, I would be really happy too.

Now you're just being a dick. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2013, 06:49 AM
Egad.... Confused

Edit: To the heart thing.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2013, 09:46 AM
To change the subject and reflect back to the OP's observation, I would add my own about human social behavior. Most of my life I lived in a city of around 250k. I also spend some time every year on an island in a place of around 1k people. In the small villages people seem to look each other in the eyes and even if you do not know a person, you nod your head, or great each other. In a city it varies. In the old center, people tend to behave more like the ones in smaller villages, but the more you go "out" of the center and into newer parts, people are more closed up. If you then go to even bigger city, you will notice that even if you fall down on the street, there could be some time before anyone helps you, let alone greet you, or nod a head, or even look at you. The reason is simple. It's just too much people around to care enough for all of them. The smaller the area, the more concentrated your interest and empathy and thus, you care more. Also, that kind of "sharing" bring more peace and happiness, that is why people in rural areas are usually more open and ... well, just good.

There, chew on it...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
27-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Another moment to think about life, Universe and everything else is when we loose our dear, beloved ones. So, I just lost my grandmother and it did make me feel ... strange. Not like I would have expected it. I am relieved and at ease. Which is pretty strange, because I was really close to her, she was maybe the most important person in my life, for making me into a person I am today. I guess her suffering at the end makes all the difference in my feelings and state of mind I am today... Anyway, I am glad she is at peace now. 93 years is a very long and nice time to live, to have children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and to just live all that.

R.I.P. grandmother, your ways will live through me.

Goodbye.

-Hunter S. Thompson
27-01-2013, 09:21 AM
(27-01-2013 09:09 AM)Filox Wrote:  Another moment to think about life, Universe and everything else is when we loose our dear, beloved ones. So, I just lost my grandmother and it did make me feel ... strange. Not like I would have expected it. I am relieved and at ease. Which is pretty strange, because I was really close to her, she was maybe the most important person in my life, for making me into a person I am today. I guess her suffering at the end makes all the difference in my feelings and state of mind I am today... Anyway, I am glad she is at peace now. 93 years is a very long and nice time to live, to have children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and to just live all that.

R.I.P. grandmother, your ways will live through me.

Goodbye.
I'm sorry. But it's also good she is not suffering anymore and that she didn't die alone.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
27-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Yeah, that's a great comfort as well. Both her daughters were present, even the nurse and she even recognized her daughters in the last hours. Oh yeah, she was home, not at hospital, fuck hospitals, there was nothing for them to do here.

Now I'm listening to Led Zeppelin and smoking and I still am wondering, where did all my emotions go, when did I loose them. I miss crying for her, she deserved it and I am not that sad, which now makes me feel strange. Can someone really "burn his emotion fuse"? Because I have been different these last few years, concerning my emotions and empathy... Do you see what this world injustice makes of people who used to care about other people? Stupid.

-Hunter S. Thompson
27-01-2013, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2013 11:41 AM by Vera.)
(27-01-2013 09:40 AM)Filox Wrote:  Yeah, that's a great comfort as well. Both her daughters were present, even the nurse and she even recognized her daughters in the last hours. Oh yeah, she was home, not at hospital, fuck hospitals, there was nothing for them to do here.

Now I'm listening to Led Zeppelin and smoking and I still am wondering, where did all my emotions go, when did I loose them. I miss crying for her, she deserved it and I am not that sad, which now makes me feel strange. Can someone really "burn his emotion fuse"? Because I have been different these last few years, concerning my emotions and empathy... Do you see what this world injustice makes of people who used to care about other people? Stupid.
The crying may come later. Though it doesn't really sound like you're in shock, as it was expected (I take it). Not all grief is expressed in tears, though. Sometimes it's too deep, sometimes it's a calmer grief that does not need tears. Also, as you said, it is a relief that she's not suffering, so for the moment that may be the predominant emotion.

As for your last sentence, I hate to quote Kansas, but this line from a song of theirs has always stuck with me "innocence's dying in so many ways...". It is immensely sad, comparing oneself to the way one used to be as a kid, and even just slightly younger, and the way one is now. Not sure what the word is, tougher, harder, more apathetic, more closed-off, or whether it's just more difficult to let stuff show or allow things in...

(You can burn your emotion fuse, I think, but I don't think this is the case here. Just my opinion.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."