Monsanto poisoning us with GMO!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Monsanto poisoning us with GMO!?
I have read a lot on this conspiracy theory, and even fell victim to it myself quite some time ago. I am looking for examples of peer reviewed studies conducted by Monsanto concerning the safety of the Genetically modified crops. I'd like to find names of people that took place in the peer review as well, this is one of the pages I quickly browsed so far, perhaps I missed something.

My questions are...

Are you aware of any peer reviews you can link me to related to this? hopefully with the names of the individuals taking place in the peer review.

and

What do you think about this conspiracy theory? Just more distrust of the scientific community?

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2013, 01:45 PM
RE: Monsanto poisoning us with GMO!?
Good luck with finding peer reviewed papers. I'm sure they are out there somewhere on the internet. Have you tried looking up the patents monsanto has and put them in your search terms (or words related to the patent)? Might help narrow down the results?

Conspiracy wise there is loads of shit out there... lawsuits... political contributions... its a massive corporation.

Are they poisoning us? There has been studies done late last year on rats (which are being highly refuted in terms of scientific inaccuracy) which show them getting large tumors. I personally think that if they do turn out to be detrimental to health with long term effects then it isn't by design but a result of greed and stupidity of human beings.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
13-02-2013, 01:52 PM
(13-02-2013 01:45 PM)bemore Wrote:  Good luck with finding peer reviewed papers. I'm sure they are out there somewhere on the internet. Have you tried looking up the patents monsanto has and put them in your search terms (or words related to the patent)? Might help narrow down the results?

Conspiracy wise there is loads of shit out there... lawsuits... political contributions... its a massive corporation.

Are they poisoning us? There has been studies done late last year on rats (which are being highly refuted in terms of scientific inaccuracy) which show them getting large tumors. I personally think that if they do turn out to be detrimental to health with long term effects then it isn't by design but a result of greed and stupidity of human beings.

I read about the rats thing somewhere, maybe even on this forum. The rats were being fed a GM potato that did not pass peer review and is not actually used and sold anywhere. This particular modification was known to be toxic. The 'researcher' basically set up the conditions of the experiment to get the result he wanted.

My guess is that he worked for Monsanto and was fired, got mad, and wanted revenge.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
14-02-2013, 10:02 AM
I think the main issue with the GMO is not the GMO itself, is the chemicals that they use with GMOs that cause problems.
For instance, transgenic soy is usually made so it can resist glyphosate, an herbicide, so they can spray it over the crops, kill the weeds and keep the soy. But it happens that that chemical is really poisonous, it sticks to the ground and can easily contaminate water streams or float to populated areas.
It causes skin and pulmonary diseases and malformation of children and it's pretty much lethal, so it's not to take it lightly.

They connect it to the GMOs because if it wasn't for them then they couldn't use glyphosate because it would kill the soy also.
That's one example, but there're a lot like that and that's why monsanto is the embodiment of evil on earth.

The only case I heard of GMOs being directly related to deaths is of some vegetable with some brazilian walnut genes, and some allergic people died because they ate them... But it was one isolated incident if I recall correctly

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
21-03-2013, 12:28 AM
I have a friend whose friend works for Monsanto and has told me that he would love to leave and has said to not touch the work he is doing. I also had a high school teacher and college professor tell me to not touch meat from feedlots.

Greetings carbon-based bipeds. - Arthur Clarke
The stars died so you could be here today. - Lawrence Krauss
Mathematics is the language of nature. - Lawrence Krauss
I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature's loveliness. - John Muir
21-03-2013, 05:40 AM
Brian Dunning did an episode about GMOs for skeptoid. Good and succinct, to be expected of him, and he provides his references. His point is that there's not much convincing evidence that GMOs, as a whole, are bad. And Monsanto's business practices (which are horrendous, IMO) don't have much bearing on the science of GMOs.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4112

21-03-2013, 07:55 AM
(14-02-2013 10:02 AM)nach_in Wrote:  That's one example, but there're a lot like that and that's why monsanto is the embodiment of evil on earth.
I thought there was a regulatory body in charge of making sure companies like Monsanto didn't sell dangerous food products?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
21-03-2013, 08:15 AM
(21-03-2013 07:55 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 10:02 AM)nach_in Wrote:  That's one example, but there're a lot like that and that's why monsanto is the embodiment of evil on earth.
I thought there was a regulatory body in charge of making sure companies like Monsanto didn't sell dangerous food products?
You mean the FDA? I have no idea about them, but I think that the FDA is to Monsanto as Milhouse is to Bart Simpson

21-03-2013, 08:30 AM
(21-03-2013 08:15 AM)nach_in Wrote:  
(21-03-2013 07:55 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I thought there was a regulatory body in charge of making sure companies like Monsanto didn't sell dangerous food products?
You mean the FDA? I have no idea about them, but I think that the FDA is to Monsanto as Milhouse is to Bart Simpson
I don't know what Milhouse is.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
21-03-2013, 08:42 AM
(21-03-2013 08:30 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(21-03-2013 08:15 AM)nach_in Wrote:  You mean the FDA? I have no idea about them, but I think that the FDA is to Monsanto as Milhouse is to Bart Simpson
I don't know what Milhouse is.
really? you don't know who milhouse is? Where have you been for the last 20 years?! Tongue