Monsanto poisoning us with GMO!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2013, 09:09 AM
RE: Monsanto poisoning us with GMO!?
I'd bet that the FDA's policies are more likely regulated by monsanto rather than the other way around.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2013, 09:27 AM
I believe we are being poisoned anyway by our processed foods. I think the increase of autism and cancer and various disorders and diseases are connected to processed foods. Their long term effects are not even known yet, you can only test for short term effects. The effects on offspring and the offspring of offspring in the long run is also unknown. We may be mutating (evolving) to subsist on chemically altered foods and that means a lot of folk are going to die in the process.
Unfortunately it's not just convenience, price and laboratory tested addictive flavors that make most people buy processed foods, we will need them sorely in the future because the earth is getting so overpopulated.
Genetically altered foods - some may be ok, some may not be ok. All of them will eventually erase natural foods from the planet through cross pollination.
Food is going to be the issue people will have to deal with in the near future - makes me glad that I am growing old and will still be able to eat actual, unprocessed foods for as long as I live.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Perhaps the research regarding the health effects is not conclusive or insubstantial, but there is another problem that a lot of people aren't aware of unless they study agriculture, work on a farm, or learn about environmental issues surrounding agricultural practices.

The GMOs allow for crops like corn, soy, canola, wheat and others to be grown in huge numbers in a relatively small area by sowing the seeds very close together, and eliminates the need for crop rotation. In order to keep this system working nitrogen fertilizers need to be applied to the soil in vast quantities to replace the nitrogen lost since there is no cover cropping or fallow period to replenish the nitrogen, and the soil itself is eroding away because no compost or barrier methods are used to prevent wind and rain from removing the soil. The nitrogen finds its way into rivers, contaminating drinking water and making its way out to the ocean where there are huge dead zones because of the oxygen depletion due to the algae that thrive on this abundance of nitrogen.

Another way the system continues to work is the application of pesticides. With no trap crops, and with a vast monoculture landscape, pests can easily infest, so the pesticides need to be applied liberally; the pests become resistant, so more pesticides and different pesticides are needed each year. These also find their way into the water systems. The amount of irrigation needed to support these crops is also displacing fresh water sources into the oceans.

Most of the GMO corn is used for two things: High Fructose Corn Syrup which is in almost everything at the grocery store that isn't in the periphery (everything on the shelves in the middle) and it is no secret or conspiracy theory that these high levels of sugar are causing the increase in obesity and diabetes every year. The other is feed for cattle. This makes it very easy to grow cattle quickly, because the corn fattens them up faster, but since cows' stomachs do digest corn properly (they have a rumen which converts grass into protein), they have to be slaughtered just before the time when they would actually die from diseases caused by their corn diet. The livestock industry is using up a large portion of the planet's water while emitting tons of CO2 and methane into the atmosphere.

So are GMOs safe? Clearly they aren't safe for the environment, so how can that be safe for us? If GMOs were done away with, farms would have to use polyculture systems again in order to produce the same amount of food. Would that really be so bad? If the government provided subsidies for polyculture farms rather than GMO seed-based monoculture farms, I think we wouldn't even need to have this discussion.
[+] 2 users Like klodgebar's post
21-03-2013, 05:25 PM
GMOs and poisoning? Don't make me laugh...most of it is pure, hyped-up, tinfoil conspiracy woooo.

I hate Conspiracy Theories with a passion, and I hate this particular theory most of all. Like the boy who cried "Wolf", these little Conspiracy Fucks are always shouting a new varient - and it's gotten so old that it is now falling on Deaf Ears.

But...I will tell you this, friends, the GMOs developed by Monsanto and others carry a very big danger that isn't even associated with human health, and it's very insidious - and it's Global.

Can you guess what it is - or have you gone deaf already?
21-03-2013, 05:48 PM
What really grinds my gears is that when Monsanto sue other farmers for using their unpaid-for technology because of cross-pollination.
It should be the other way around. Fuckers!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
21-03-2013, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2013 05:56 PM by Julius.)
(21-03-2013 05:48 PM)aurora Wrote:  What really grinds my gears is that when Monsanto sue other farmers for using their unpaid-for technology because of cross-pollination.
You got it Brother! This is the real danger of Corporations and GMOs. Even if only some of the genetics is transferred via accidental and unavoidable cross-polinization - even if it doesn't matter - Monsanto can still sue and break farmers and scare the rest into submission. Monsantos goal is to make evry one on this earth pay a Monsanto Tax for every bit of food we eat - and they can do it. Until we can figure out a way to stopo bees and the wind, then cross-polinization will always result - wanted or not.

Hell...not only does Monsanto want to tax all food, they also want to limit who can grow it and under what conditions how it is grown. In short, they want control over the world's food supply.

And THAT ain't no Conspiracy Theory - It's a FACT.
21-03-2013, 05:56 PM
(21-03-2013 05:52 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(21-03-2013 05:48 PM)aurora Wrote:  What really grinds my gears is that when Monsanto sue other farmers for using their unpaid-for technology because of cross-pollination.
You got it Brother! This is the real danger of Corporations and GMOs. Even if only some of the genetics is transferred via accidental and unavoidable cross-polinization - even if it doesn't matter - Monsanto can still sue and break farmers and scare the rest into submission. Monsantos goal is to make evry one on this earth pay a Monsanto Tax for every bit of food we eat - and they can do it. Until we can figure out a way to stopo bees and the wind, then cross-polinization will always result - wanted or not.

Hell...not only does Monsanto want to tax all food, they also want to limit who can grow it and under what conditions how it is grown. In short, they want control over the world's food supply.
Thanks and...er...it's sister! Sleepy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
21-03-2013, 05:56 PM
(21-03-2013 05:56 PM)aurora Wrote:  
(21-03-2013 05:52 PM)Julius Wrote:  You got it Brother! This is the real danger of Corporations and GMOs. Even if only some of the genetics is transferred via accidental and unavoidable cross-polinization - even if it doesn't matter - Monsanto can still sue and break farmers and scare the rest into submission. Monsantos goal is to make evry one on this earth pay a Monsanto Tax for every bit of food we eat - and they can do it. Until we can figure out a way to stopo bees and the wind, then cross-polinization will always result - wanted or not.

Thanks and...er...it's sister! Sleepy
Sorry, no disrespect intended.
21-03-2013, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2013 08:42 PM by fstratzero.)
The idea of GMO's poisoning us is probably the idea I reject completely.

The problem is with GMO's it is with their patents.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
21-03-2013, 08:25 PM
(21-03-2013 08:02 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  The idea of GMO's poisoning us is probably the idea I reject completely.

The problem is with GMO's it is with their patents.

Great Post!

Also, I was amazed to hear that a Corporation actually tried to enforce a patent on the Human Genome.

God Damn...Corporations have no limits.