Montreal starts taxing churches!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2017, 09:19 PM
RE: Montreal starts taxing churches!
(17-05-2017 08:50 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I fear that church-state entanglements are bad news, no matter how it happens.

I know. Maybe it's best if an "experiment" like this starts in more "liberal" country like Canada so that the effects maybe less sever-ish. But there must come a time when the change from "the church" to the "The Church Inc" (don't know how to do the mini "TM" symbol) makes church like "card reading" or "palm reading" or" reading the entrails of something"

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2017, 10:04 PM
(17-05-2017 07:54 PM)epronovost Wrote:  The Catholic Church in Quebec is struggling to keep afloat and while I can't care less for the survival of this institution, I do care for the survival of its architectural and artistic patrimony. Many churches in Quebec are simply stunning, tranforming a rather bleak and ordinary village into something special. Because of this, many of those churches were destroyed, sometime partially, sometime fully. I would like for these buildings to remain public and serve as community centers, libraries or even schools and their most important art pieces and historical documents, like organs, paintings and registers to be preserved in museum, colledge or universities. I simply hope this law won't lead to the destruction of some of my province most important historical artefacts, documents and architectural realisation. Quebec has enough shitty ugly, overpriced condos as it is.

Maybe they can get their tax exempt status back if they get on the registry of historic buildings. Consider

#sigh
17-05-2017, 10:24 PM
Mini TM Symbol™ is ( tm ) with no spaces, just like that.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
18-05-2017, 04:32 AM
(17-05-2017 10:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Maybe they can get their tax exempt status back if they get on the registry of historic buildings. Consider

That would be a solution good solution.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.