Montreal starts taxing churches!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Lightbulb Montreal starts taxing churches!
The City of Montreal has started taxing religious institutions

Banana_zorro Banana_zorro Banana_zorro

It is sending out employees to start looking at how much of religious property is actually used for worship. The argument is that really only the areas actually used for religious reasons is tax exempt. Yeah I know it may just be another tax grab, but hell governments are always yanking us around by the short & curlys so why should there be any special treatment for them... far as I'm concerned they should be taxed the same as any other corporation or industry.

Also as far as the minister's argument (in the news article) that even the areas used for community events and such, will be taxed as well, leading to churches possibly no longer holding such events, I say good! Your taxes will be put to things like libraries and community centres etc... where EVERYONE can be helped, welcomed and accepted.

P.S. If you can't fleece collect enough money from your parishioners to pay your taxes you shouldn't be in business...welcome to the real world A Censored holes.

P.P.S. Maybe some of your taxes will also go to help repair some of the lives your BS has damaged.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 18 users Like unsapien's post
17-05-2017, 06:11 PM
RE: Montreal starts taxing churches!
(17-05-2017 04:14 PM)unsapien Wrote:  The City of Montreal has started taxing religious institutions

Banana_zorro Banana_zorro Banana_zorro

It is sending out employees to start looking at how much of religious property is actually used for worship. The argument is that really only the areas actually used for religious reasons is tax exempt. Yeah I know it may just be another tax grab, but hell governments are always yanking us around by the short & curlys so why should there be any special treatment for them... far as I'm concerned they should be taxed the same as any other corporation or industry.

Also as far as the minister's argument (in the news article) that even the areas used for community events and such, will be taxed as well, leading to churches possibly no longer holding such events, I say good! Your taxes will be put to things like libraries and community centres etc... where EVERYONE can be helped, welcomed and accepted.

P.S. If you can't fleece collect enough money from your parishioners to pay your taxes you shouldn't be in business...welcome to the real world A Censored holes.

P.P.S. Maybe some of your taxes will also go to help repair some of the lives your BS has damaged.

Let's not get too excited. French-Canadians are all a bunch of atheist bastards. I'm surprised it took this long.

#sigh
17-05-2017, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2017 08:35 PM by epronovost.)
(17-05-2017 06:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Let's not get too excited. French-Canadians are all a bunch of atheist bastards. I'm surprised it took this long.

French-Canadians used to be the most zealous of all Canadian in the 50's. Ultramontanism was extremely popular in Quebec. The fact that it crashed so hard and so fast is one of the biggest subject of interest in sociology and political science in Quebec. Just imagine what would happen in the US if the Evangelical political power and influence would be completly wiped in less than 10 years, how different would the country look like.

As for this law, I am personaly on the fence about it. The Catholic Church in Quebec is struggling to keep afloat and while I can't care less for the survival of this institution, I do care for the survival of its architectural and artistic patrimony. Many churches in Quebec are simply stunning, tranforming a rather bleak and ordinary village into something special. Because of this, many of those churches were destroyed, sometime partially, sometime fully. I would like for these buildings to remain public and serve as community centers, libraries or even schools and their most important art pieces and historical documents, like organs, paintings and registers to be preserved in museum, colledge or universities. I simply hope this law won't lead to the destruction of some of my province most important historical artefacts, documents and architectural realisation. Quebec has enough shitty ugly, overpriced condos as it is.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 3 users Like epronovost's post
17-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Appraise the lord! Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
17-05-2017, 08:39 PM
Montreal starts taxing churches!
That's a good move.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
17-05-2017, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2017 08:44 PM by Robvalue.)
Fantastic!

I don't even care what parts are used for worship. If they are taking people's money in order for them to do so, and paying employees with it, then it's a business like any other. Of course, I will settle for a compromise in the mean time as the world isn't ready to take such a stance yet. If the said business qualifies for tax exemption (under charity / non-profit / whatever) then it should have no problem applying like any other. If it doesn't, why should it get it? "It's religious" isn't good enough for me.

I don't buy the idea that governments have to "keep out" of church affairs, when it comes to upholding secular law. We wouldn't allow people inside churches to ignore other laws under the guise of religion. So I don't see why they should receive special financial treatment (amounting to governments subsidy) because everyone involved claims to be talking to some imaginary being.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-05-2017, 08:41 PM
(17-05-2017 07:54 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(17-05-2017 06:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Let's not get too excited. French-Canadians are all a bunch of atheist bastards. I'm surprised it took this long.

French-Canadians used to be the most zealous of all Canadian in the 50's. Ultramontanism was extremely popular in Quebec. The fact that it crashed so hard and so fast is one of the biggest subject of interest in sociology and political science in Quebec. Just imagine what would happen in the US if the Evangelical political power and influence would be completly wiped in less than 10 years, how different would the country look like.

As for this law, I am personaly on the fence about it. The Catholic Church in Quebec is struggling to keep afloat and while I can't care less for the survival of this institution, I do care for the survival of its architectural and artistic patrimony. Many churches in Quebec are simply stunning, tranforming a rather bleak and ordinary village into something special. Because of this, many of those churches were destroyed, sometime partially, sometime fully. I would like for these buildings to remain public and serve as community centers, libraries or even schools and their most important art pieces and historical documents, like organs, paintings and registers to be preserved in museum, colledge or universities. I simply hope this law won't lead to the destruction of some of my province most important historical artefact, document and architectural realisation.

Agreed.

If there were ever any benefits to a community or society by the church...ironically it would be in the engineering & architecture of its' buildings and the meticulous documentation of its history.

Surely hopefully that would be protected Sadcryface

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
17-05-2017, 08:47 PM
I also agree that there are good arguments for preserving the buildings and repurposing them. Just not for allowing them to house above-the-law businesses.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
17-05-2017, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with taxing church activities, even ones that are only semi-religious, because the moment you start taking taxes from churches, they get a legitimate stake in the government. I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but here in the USA about half the basis for denying churches (and those they "inspire") the right to put up Ten Commandments monuments on public land is that tax dollars of non-Christians go to support that land/building, and no tax dollars can be used to advance a non-secular purpose. (Sadly, that has been bent more than a little, over the years.) But in principle, it's there. That's why there's no official prayer in schools anymore, for instance.

I fear that church-state entanglements are bad news, no matter how it happens.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-05-2017, 08:57 PM
(17-05-2017 08:50 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'm not sure I'm comfortable with taxing church activities, even ones that are only semi-religious, because the moment you start taking taxes from churches, they get a legitimate stake in the government. I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but here in the USA about half the basis for denying churches (and those they "inspire") the right to put up Ten Commandments monuments on public land is that tax dollars of non-Christians go to support that land/building, and no tax dollars can be used to advance a non-secular purpose. (Sadly, that has been bent more than a little, over the years.) But in principle, it's there. That's why there's no official prayer in schools anymore, for instance.

I fear that church-state entanglements are bad news, no matter how it happens.

I get where you're coming from, but no other businesses get the right to plaster public land with their propaganda just because they pay their taxes. This is just another perk that the religious have become used to, and they think they should effectively be paid not to do it. To me, this isn't what church/state separation is about. It's religion taking the piss.