Moral Compass

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Moral Compass
So I was thinking of something while listing to some atheist experience youtube clips. When people ask the question of where do you get your morals from if you don't have a God(or some variation of that) it always makes me think of a counter question. Where do you get your moral from?

Now lets see when Christians say that a God is needed for a person to have morals they are basically saying that you have to wait and see what God has to say about anything and if it's moral. So to be clear Christians don't make up their minds(or so they believe) on what is right or wrong only that they will do anything their God says because they believe he has the final say. Correct me if I'm wrong that's not having morals that's following orders.

Now they may believe that their God is the only one from which morals can come from and that man can't have morals on their own but this begs another question. How are they judging their God to be just? Where are they learning that he is the good one and not the bad one? I guess that could be tied back to just following their holy text and not having a mind of their own.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2015, 05:48 PM
RE: Moral Compass
Divine Command Theory

If god commands it, it's good. If we don't agree with it, then that's because of our limited understanding.

Ask about the goodness of god implied by the Noahtic flood to get sickened instantly. Gasp

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
09-05-2015, 01:20 AM
(08-05-2015 05:26 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So I was thinking of something while listing to some atheist experience youtube clips. When people ask the question of where do you get your morals from if you don't have a God(or some variation of that) it always makes me think of a counter question. Where do you get your moral from?

Now lets see when Christians say that a God is needed for a person to have morals they are basically saying that you have to wait and see what God has to say about anything and if it's moral. So to be clear Christians don't make up their minds(or so they believe) on what is right or wrong only that they will do anything their God says because they believe he has the final say. Correct me if I'm wrong that's not having morals that's following orders.

Now they may believe that their God is the only one from which morals can come from and that man can't have morals on their own but this begs another question. How are they judging their God to be just? Where are they learning that he is the good one and not the bad one? I guess that could be tied back to just following their holy text and not having a mind of their own.

Christianity is biggest case of "I was just following the orders" Wink

As to god he is just cause he is god, cause clergy tells he is, cause christians like to think their god is just. Apart from these there is no real reason to describe biblical god as just.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
09-05-2015, 09:58 AM
But then, how do xistians know that obeying God is moral? Where do they get THAT moral from?

The next time someone pulls this crap on you, ask them how they know that slavery is immoral. If they say the Bible, ask them to find the passage. Point out it's not in the Bible and that up through the Civil War and even past it slavery as practiced in this country was Biblical. So, then... if condemning slavery is not part of God's word, how do they know it is immoral?

That's exactly how you know that murder, theft, heatedly accusing people of being immoral just because they don't believe in fairy tales, and so on is immoral.