Moral Crisis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Moral Crisis
For those who don't already know, I am basically riding the fence between christianity(which is all I knew for 25 years) and atheism(which is all that makes sense). I am trying to take my time and not jump into anything but something is bothering my lately.

I sponsor a boy in Kenya through a christian ministry named Compassion International. In his recent letter to me, he asked me if I go to church. This is a question which I don't think I will answer because it's just too complex to explain. If I told him I do not go to church, I'm sure that he would wonder why. I am not prepared to answer questions that would follow.

Now obviously, going to "church" really has nothing to do with God, Jesus, the bible, or any of the other things that he is being taught partly thanks to my monthly donation. I certainly don't want to end my sponsorship of him but at the same time, I feel like an hypocrite when I am adamantly opposed to christianity in my own country while I am supporting a ministry which I no longer agree with.

Their statement of faith is:
Quote:We Believe
Compassion International State of Faith

...in the Holy Scriptures as originally given by God, divinely inspired, infallible, entirely trustworthy; and the supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct...

One God, eternally existent in three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit

Our Lord Jesus Christ, God manifest in the flesh, His virgin birth, His sinless human life, His divine miracles, His vicarious and atoning death, His bodily resurrection, His ascension, His mediatorial work, and His Personal return in power and glory...

The Salvation of lost and sinful man through the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ by faith apart from works, and regeneration by the Holy Spirit...

The Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the believer is enabled to live a holy life, to witness and work for the Lord Jesus Christ...

The Unity of the Spirit of all true believers, the Church, the Body of Christ…

The Resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life, they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.

I am in doubt about many of their core beliefs. I will not stop donating to help feed, clothe, and educate him. I feel that it is the moral thing to do and I am still considering the possibility of sponsoring even more when I can afford it.

But at the same time, I want the Atheist community to keep going and destroying the lies that religious people have been promoting for far too long. My commitment to the truth could perhaps have a negative effect on christian ministries such as the one that I am supporting. So basically I may be fighting myself.

This is a major moral crisis for me and I can't even think of a solution. Has anyone else experienced a war like this between their mind and heart?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2013, 12:53 PM
RE: Moral Crisis
I would continue his sponsorship. It's only fair to him. But next time you want to sponsor something or someone, do it through a secular organization. They're out there. Is there a specific time frame for his sponsorship? Or is it just indefinite?

I'm not sure how to advise you to approach the religion question though. I guess it depends on how close you have gotten to him and how many questions you feel like answering. Thats a tough one.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Find all posts by this user
29-11-2013, 01:01 PM
I would sponsor him until your yearly term is up. Then I would sponsor another child in a non religious programme. I am against Christian ministries giving aid in Africa and other poor places. I have a feeling half of your money is wasted on indoctrination.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
[+] 1 user Likes TheLogicalAthiest's post
29-11-2013, 01:02 PM
(29-11-2013 12:53 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  I would continue his sponsorship. It's only fair to him. But next time you want to sponsor something or someone, do it through a secular organization. They're out there. Is there a specific time frame for his sponsorship? Or is it just indefinite?

Eventually he will be an adult with a good education and probably a successful job. Then he can decide for himself what he believes. I will do some searching about secular charities but do you have any recommendations?
29-11-2013, 01:05 PM
(29-11-2013 01:02 PM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 12:53 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  I would continue his sponsorship. It's only fair to him. But next time you want to sponsor something or someone, do it through a secular organization. They're out there. Is there a specific time frame for his sponsorship? Or is it just indefinite?

Eventually he will be an adult with a good education and probably a successful job. Then he can decide for himself what he believes. I will do some searching about secular charities but do you have any recommendations?

https://humanism.org.uk/humanism/humanis...charities/

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
29-11-2013, 01:05 PM
I see no reason to keep it from him. Actually it might make for an interesting backboard for you to throw ideas at. I doubt if he would reject your help whether you believe or not, both of you might profit from some honest dialogue and inquiry.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
29-11-2013, 01:08 PM
(29-11-2013 12:48 PM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  For those who don't already know, I am basically riding the fence between christianity(which is all I knew for 25 years) and atheism(which is all that makes sense). I am trying to take my time and not jump into anything but something is bothering my lately.

I sponsor a boy in Kenya through a christian ministry named Compassion International. In his recent letter to me, he asked me if I go to church. This is a question which I don't think I will answer because it's just too complex to explain. If I told him I do not go to church, I'm sure that he would wonder why. I am not prepared to answer questions that would follow.

Now obviously, going to "church" really has nothing to do with God, Jesus, the bible, or any of the other things that he is being taught partly thanks to my monthly donation. I certainly don't want to end my sponsorship of him but at the same time, I feel like an hypocrite when I am adamantly opposed to christianity in my own country while I am supporting a ministry which I no longer agree with.

Their statement of faith is:
Quote:We Believe
Compassion International State of Faith

...in the Holy Scriptures as originally given by God, divinely inspired, infallible, entirely trustworthy; and the supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct...

One God, eternally existent in three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit

Our Lord Jesus Christ, God manifest in the flesh, His virgin birth, His sinless human life, His divine miracles, His vicarious and atoning death, His bodily resurrection, His ascension, His mediatorial work, and His Personal return in power and glory...

The Salvation of lost and sinful man through the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ by faith apart from works, and regeneration by the Holy Spirit...

The Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the believer is enabled to live a holy life, to witness and work for the Lord Jesus Christ...

The Unity of the Spirit of all true believers, the Church, the Body of Christ…

The Resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life, they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.

I am in doubt about many of their core beliefs. I will not stop donating to help feed, clothe, and educate him. I feel that it is the moral thing to do and I am still considering the possibility of sponsoring even more when I can afford it.

But at the same time, I want the Atheist community to keep going and destroying the lies that religious people have been promoting for far too long. My commitment to the truth could perhaps have a negative effect on christian ministries such as the one that I am supporting. So basically I may be fighting myself.

This is a major moral crisis for me and I can't even think of a solution. Has anyone else experienced a war like this between their mind and heart?

I would gauge my suggestions based on the boy's age. How old is he?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
29-11-2013, 01:17 PM
(29-11-2013 01:08 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I would gauge my suggestions based on the boy's age. How old is he?

He is 9 years old and doesn't speak or write English. Everything I say will be read by christians and then translated before he knows anything about it. That is part of why I hesitate to say anything.
29-11-2013, 01:23 PM
(29-11-2013 01:17 PM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 01:08 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I would gauge my suggestions based on the boy's age. How old is he?

He is 9 years old and doesn't speak or write English. Everything I say will be read by christians and then translated before he knows anything about it. That is part of why I hesitate to say anything.

I was thinking the same thing.
So....... I could be wrong of course But if I were in your shoes I'd keep ONE thing in mind:
HE is the priority right now - Not you nor your beliefs or lack thereof.
He is.
So --- since he was "saved" from utter poverty or destruction under the guise of christian charity - that's really special to him right now. Plus, he's a little bit too young to be bombarded with theories, questions of such magnitude. Heck my grandkids live Right Here under foot and I don't discuss religion with them.

I'd not lie and say "yes I go to church". So... dont be a liar in his life. Just be savy and always bear in mind HIS world........the world were HE lives and what impacts Him in any and all your communications and I think you'll be just fine.
A few years down the road you and he can have *the* conversation you need to have. Right now isn't the time.

By the way I admire that you struggle with this and came to ask how others might view this. Shows you care and are not so self centered that only YOUR ideas matter.

cheers

(my crystal ball says this will go Just Fine -- *snicker*)Thumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
29-11-2013, 01:29 PM
(29-11-2013 01:17 PM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  

Oh. You can disregard my suggestion then. Carry on.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco